• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear View Mirror

LUVMYCS

Hi All- Can someone help me out with a picture of an original rear view mirror?
I think the one on my car is a repro and I would like to find an original.

Is the bracket supposed to be black or chrome? And the casing that holds the mirror, is it black or chrome?

The rear view mirror was the same in the deluxe as well as the standard interior, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Midnight Special

...These are what's on my 390 CS I drove to work today. 'Hope this helps :)
I also have one w/ a remote mirror if you need to see that.

Attachments

• IM001773.JPG
    IM001773.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IM001774.JPG
    IM001774.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IM001775.JPG
    IM001775.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

Midnight Special said:
...These are what's on my 390 CS I drove to work today. 'Hope this helps :)
I also have one w/ a remote mirror if you need to see that.

You drove your 390 CS to work today? What a commuter car ... you're killing me!!! :grin:

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

Thanks Tim - I'm concerned with the rear view mirror (inside the car). What is the bracket that attaches to the windshield and the mirror made of? Chrome or is it black? If someone could supply me with a picture of that.

So that little handle on the bottom of the mirror is stock (original)? That is the correct mirror that came with the car off the assembly line?

Tim- is this the type of rear view mirrors that are in all your CSs?

Mosesatm

The bracket is neither chrome or black. It's some sort of polished aluminum-looking metal. Most of the Mustang parts vendors carry them.

Attached is a page from the 2006 NPD catalog showing the bracket that glues onto the windshield and the tube that attaches the mirror to that bracket.

Last edited:

Midnight Special

LUVMYCS said:
Thanks Tim - I'm concerned with the rear view mirror (inside the car). What is the bracket that attaches to the windshield and the mirror made of? Chrome or is it black? If someone could supply me with a picture of that.

So that little handle on the bottom of the mirror is stock (original)? That is the correct mirror that came with the car off the assembly line?

Tim- is this the type of rear view mirrors that are in all your CSs?

...The mirrors on my other CSs are consistant with the info Arlie provided. They have the push tab at the bottom as opposed to the lever shown above. 'Looks as tho the mirror on my 390 may not be "factory", tho same shape and design opposite of the glass. The glued portion is natural metal and connecting tube(s) painted to match the interiors...

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

Midnight Special said:
...The mirrors on my other CSs are consistant with the info Arlie provided. They have the push tab at the bottom as opposed to the lever shown above. 'Looks as tho the mirror on my 390 may not be "factory", tho same shape and design opposite of the glass. The glued portion is natural metal and connecting tube(s) painted to match the interiors...

I heard somewhere, that in 1968 mustangs from the NJ plant had the type of rear view mirror that had a lever that moved right and left. Tim, perhaps that's where your mirror came from.

Midnight Special

BroadwayBlue said:
You drove your 390 CS to work today? What a commuter car ... you're killing me!!! :grin:

Indeed, I bring one in every (clear) day. The 390 being alot of fun on the highway. 'Just a little tap on the pedal & you blast around anyone in front of you! I also keep it handy here for Mike ("somethingspecial") to view as he's on the latter stages of restoring his magnificent 390 4-spd... 'Looking over wiring, various mounting fixtures, interior items etc... while in his sheriff's uniform often arousing (my) suscpision from other building tenants ;-)) Gotta watch him tho - caught him the other day tryin' to duplicate the 20-degree bend in my antenna... MIKE! THAT AINT STOCK!! ;-) ....And now the rear view mirror! Geeze - some of the stuff you learn hangin' around here ;-O

Midnight Special

LUVMYCS said:
I heard somewhere, that in 1968 mustangs from the NJ plant had the type of rear view mirror that had a lever that moved right and left. Tim, perhaps that's where your mirror came from.

Perhaps, but this is a San Jose car. I'm curious now if any other GT/CS - HCSs have this lever type mirror.

Mosesatm

Tim, I didn't know the tube was to be painted the color of the interior. Is that for any color interior? Mine is natural and I'm not too sure I want a bright aqua tube attached to my mirror.:tongue:

Midnight Special

Mosesatm said:
Tim, I didn't know the tube was to be painted the color of the interior. Is that for any color interior? Mine is natural and I'm not too sure I want a bright aqua tube attached to my mirror.:tongue:

...My white CS w/ red interior has the matching red mirror w/ red tube. My other interiors are black w/ black tubes Arlie. 'Can't say for certain beyond that.

rvrtrash

My white car with red interior has a red mirror with the alum. colored stalk. By the way, if anyone has one that flops around, I can tell you how to tighten it up (other than buying a new one).

Steve

Mustanglvr

rvrtrash said:
My white car with red interior has a red mirror with the alum. colored stalk. By the way, if anyone has one that flops around, I can tell you how to tighten it up (other than buying a new one).

Steve

Yes Steve, please tell.:smile:
Also, is there any chance a person could replace just the glass in the mirror? Mine has gotten a foggy look to it.

rvrtrash

I haven't tried to replace the mirror glass but I imagine if you took it to a glass shop, they could come up with something for you.

Tightening the mirror stalk: Disassemble the stalk (remove two screws and you have two halves), and lightly sand the inside of the ends where the mirror and windshield balls rotate. Lightly coat both the mirror and windshield balls with hand lotion (fiberglass people would call this a release agent). Mix up a little JB Weld and spread evenly on the inside of the cup/ball portion of the stalk halves. Reassemble the mirror in the approximate location you want it, without tightening the halves all the way down. Wait about 2-5 minutes, disassemble and let set till the JB Weld is completely cured (maybe a couple of hours). Clean up any excess Weld that has squished out now before it completely hardens. Reassemble and check for free motion of the mirror (you may need to do a little sanding to get the "perfect fit") and you have a like new mirror. Remember, it doesn't take very much JB Weld, maybe what will stay on the end of a toothpick so don't get carried away or you'll spend more time cleaning and fitting.

Steve

PS, I can transfer this to the tips section if you guys/gals think it's worth it.

Perkchiro

I know you can fix those foggy mirrors. I took mine apart and took it to a mirror shop and had it re-glazed. It isn't perfect, but it's original, looks good and is functional. You have to be careful when you remove the mirror from the mirror holder as to not break it. The same is true when you replace it. If your vinyl is faded from the sun, re-dying with a vinyl dye works great and is available from most mustang suppliers.

Steve in Missouri