• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2005 Registry Update Thread

P

PNewitt

I'm wrapping up my other book project this week, and am NOW ready to dive into the new 2005 GT/CS Registry Book project.

This book will be the compilation of both the 1988 and 1996 books, with some great new items--along with some "secret goodies" that I'm sure you'll all like!

What I need to know is: What would YOU like to see in this book?? Every idea or suggestion is encouraged. Service parts and procedures? More concours info? History? Recognition?

I will be listing the cars in the registry, (name, VIN, Door Tag info) with boxes checked (or not) for "concours/driver/custom/orig. owner, etc. and if a copy of the invoice, window sticker and/or Marti report in included. I will also mention if it's won any trophies or awards.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions--

This thread (sticky?) will keep you posted on the book's progress. Target date for completion is Fall 2005.

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registrar

390cs68rcode

can you confirm on this thread the deadline for getting info to you about our cars? I have one coming this week and want to update it in the new book. It has been in both the previous ones. It is S code one in my sig line below.

I would like to know where to find the foam tape deck lid "seal" in the first book page 46. Who makes this and if no one is making it let's make up a "correct" one and reproduce it ourselves if need be.

I would like to see in the new book on finding the small details like this to make the cars 100% correct.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Just to let everyone know, I will work on the body of the book first, then work on the registry.

I will do a mailing to everyone (on the mailing list), and ask for any updates, if they need/want to get a Marti report, etc..--and about the book for sale, advance orders, etc.

So--all of this will take place during late this summer. Anyone who wishes to send in their registration info (and many already have--thank you) with photo(s) of their car may so from right now, to about late August 2005.

Paul.

nfrntau

Paul,
Something I thought of and don't remember anyone ever mentioning. I would like to see color photos included. For instance the new GT/CS introduction photos, etc. (maybe they were B&W to begin with?).
When you ask things we would like to see such as "Service parts and procedures? More concours info? History? Recognition?"
Yes Please, comes to mind.
Regardless of how much (or little) information you add to your book it will be with out a doubt the most comprehensive GT/CS book/guide/manual in the world. That's quite a feat. As a GT/CS owner, a consumer and most importantly a friend (I hope) I would like to know as much about these cars as possible.
I've stated it before but will do so again. If there is anything I can do to assist you with your book all you need to do is ask. Until then, I will be sitting in the bleachers anxiously awaiting your newest masterpiece.
Thank you for your time and effort.
BIll

nfrntau

I also think that words like sequentialling and gocartish should be included somewhere in your book. lol

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=1688;start=0#msg10563 date=1116213812]
I also think that words like sequentialling and gocartish should be included somewhere in your book. lol
[/quote]

Ya betcha! LOL!! ::)

nfrntau

http://www.1968cobra.com/Restoration.HTML
Paul on thsi webpage the writer says

"I have found a vintage Ford microfische machine with a copy of the 1968 Master Parts Catalog to assist in parts identification. I have notes and pictures from dozens of unrestored cars and I continue to work on cars daily"

Do you think he may have and possible share some tidbits for your book you may not already have?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

That's a great idea, and I appreciate the offer to check it out, but I bought the whole paper version (about six 3" binders full of paper) some years ago.

It's a neat book to have, too. It has everything!!

Thanks for thinking of this,

Paul N.

meadowsdk28

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1688;start=0#msg10564 date=1116215717]
[quote author=nfrntau link=board=1;threadid=1688;start=0#msg10563 date=1116213812]
[/quote]

And Swammi!

So, if my car was in the 96 under an old owners name and Bob Teets knows all my new info, I should be good unless I want to get a Marti report, right?[/quote]

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Bob and I are sharing all information, and I hope to make a separate HCS listing in the Registry.

My approach is to go over everything, and look at any new information. Not exactly "from scratch", but look for any updates.

Did you send Bob a copy of the orig. invoice? if not, I would advise getting the Marti Report (which, I think SHOULD say "HCS" in the basic report). Some HCS owners have had a problem not getting "HCS" listed, but CS listed instead, with a DSO of 51.

Paul N.

case12

My 2 cents (additional to what is already in the other two books):

Add or new info on GT or not-GT. This seems to needs it own section or chapter, including what should, or should not, be on a GT or not-GT.

A ground up restoration chapter with pictures would be cool. Paul and Brians car would be a great candidate.

Updated history related to Little Red and Green Hornet and lots of color pictures. Would MM let you put your Green Hornet article in the book?

Dealer vs Factory installed options - it is talked about all the time here, so having the "book" on it would be cool.

Thanks, Casey

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hi Casey!

Great ideas--and I'd like to do all of them. I also want to add a page for folks that just bought one, and wonder what to do next.

The Ground-Up idea is great, too, and I plan on getting to the bottom of all that concours '68 stuff, via Jeff Spiegal (MCA/SAAC), so "our" cars "will win all the time".

And Yes--the GT thing is good to do, and point out all the details of what is or not.

And--I'd like to put something in about how to modify a CS with parts from Global West, Unique, etc.

I will point out the various ways to go with a GT/CS. We need to realize the full potential of what we all have.

Paul N.

PFSlim

Casey

Thank you for the mention about our project car. As you already know (and we are no different than anyone else on this site) we are very proud of our effort. We enjoy the car everyday. ;D

Paul - As much information that you can add to make people understand about our 'special' cars the better. Color pics are great. Use as much as possible please. ;D

I think my brother Brian says it best when he says driving the Cal Spec for 15 minutes to get to work is like "taking a 3 month vacation on your way to work" !!!! ;D ;D

Paul

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

(if you missed the other thread):

This "was" one of the suprises for the new GT/CS Registry Book, but I can't do this one without your help.
I am doing a DVD that will be included with the book, in a plastic sleeve on the inside back cover.
What I need are videos sent to me from owners of your GT/CS and '68 HCS cars.  You don't need to necessairliy have it "concours perfect",... but "really clean" would be nice, too.  Don't worry about Hollywood production quality (although please use a tripod of you could).  Just explain who you are, and about your car.  If you have security concerns, remove your license plates and frames (if it says what city, etc.) and don't volunteer where you're from.  But, again, this is up to you.
Video of GT/CS (HCS) cars undergoing restoration are encouraged and accepted, too!
Try to limit the (useful) footage to about 2-5 minutes, so we can include as many cars and owners as possible.  We want this to be fun, and yes, heartwarming to reflect just how special and how loved these cars truly are.  You can include creative angles, or shot  from another moving vehicle (but please be careful doing that).
Any video format will work.  VHS, SVHS, and DVD formats (all common ones) are acceptable.  my brother is a professional videotographer, and has a large editing facility.  The completed DVD will be of professional quality, and available ONLY with the book as a set.
For those lucky enough to live in No. Calif, we're planning a group video session in late Summer, at a location to be revealed later (about Late July). 
Stay tuned to this thread to more details.

Send your videos to: Paul M. Newitt, P.O. Box 2245, Davis, CA 95617.  Please send them to me before August 30th, 2005.  The book's target date for completion will be Sept. 2005 (Note: ALL videos become the property of Paul M. Newitt for use on this GT/CS Registry DVD).
Thanks--and get those cameras rolling!!
Paul N.

p.s. for those who sent still photos only (and don't have access to a video camera), don't fret--we'll shoot those with a video camera--so everyone who sent photos will get on the DVD.

Note: the same address can be used to send your GT/CS Registration, copies of the invoice, Marti Report, photos, etc. Please include your name, address, VIN number, door tag numbers, and any options or stories, etc., you would like to include. Also encose a photo(s), or digital photos on a CD.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I got over a MAJOR hurdle today towards time to work on the NEW Registry... My other (Model RR) book was taken into the printer; which was 2 1/2 years of hard work.

Now I can concentrate on getting both the 1988 and 1996 editions compiled (and OCR scanned) into my Mac.

Question: Should I "this time" reveal ALL of the things to look for to authenticate a true GT/CS (HCS?)??

I also have some very cool "goodies" planned for buyers of the book.

thanks for your support!
- Paul N.

luisa2552

Being a newbie, I don't know what might be invloved in listing everthing, but I think it would be great. Escpecially with the apparent ease of making a clone.
Sara

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I think it's time to "tell all" (as it were), since it's been so long now.

Besides, with the advent of the "Marti Report" clones can be revealed more easily (that is, if one wishes to know or not).

Paul N.

Mosesatm

A perfect clone is very, very difficult to make. The hood pin attachment hardware alone would be a nightmare to reproduce and the trunk wiring harness would be nearly impossible. On the flip side it is easy to make a clone that will fool most non-experts. That said, I agree with Sara in that the more information we have the better equipped we are to spot the fakes.

Give us the truth Paul, we can handle it!

quicknick

Oh boy....maybe one of the goodies will be that darn window sticker I have been pestering Paul about for the last 5 years! Just kidding Paul :p. Be on the lookout, my Mustangs info packet for the book will be heading your way sometime next week. Nicholas