• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail light bezels: NOS or reproductions?

classicsguy

What would be best to get for tail light bezels; NOS or reproductions? Fit and quality issues if any??

Thanks

hookedtrout

I got reproduction and had no issues at all other than I had to steel wool off the black paint, easy project.

hookedtrout

I can't even remember, it was back in 1984, California Mustang maybe, been a long time ago and I'm getting just old enough I only try to remember what I'm supposed to do not what I did. Sorry!

hookedtrout

It's my understanding that there was really no difference in the two other than the T-Bird had a black paint finish around the edges, no idea if during the production of the GT/CS they caputured the part before painting, I would assume so? But maybe they removed the paint (doubtful). Now days I think the reproductions are all painted because it's easier for CS owners to remove than it would be for T-Bird owners to paint them (could be wrong). As for NOS, I'd say if there are NOS CS frames out there without the paint that would be a good catch but the NOS for T-Birds with paint should be correct for the CS as well if you remove the paint, I highly doubt they had different part numbers.

This is all common sense speculation on my part and could mean nothing and I live a world away from trying to be Concours correct as I've probably identified in previous rants. I guess my point is that I would not pay a bunch of extra money for an NOS CS part without paint vs an NOS Tbird part with paint, they should be the same and removing the paint is simple, save the $ if that's what it comes down to.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Thanks Cory; What you say makes a lot of sense,since why should Ford build a different part for only 4118 GT/CS and HCS. They will probably were used a lot more for their T-bird production and had it shared for our GT/CS. Its just an opinion...

hookedtrout

Sure thing, still leaves the difference between NOS and Repops. My repops are from a long time ago so I can't say that current production repops are the same but I've had no issues with mine, the car is stored inside out of the elements so it doesn't see any harsh environment anymore and I can't speak to the quality of how the repops compare to the originals/NOS, fit and finish was very good on mine with no issues.

hookedtrout

I will add that interestingly enough the only thing missing or broken on my car when I bought it in 1983, other than the original wheels and caps was the tail light bezels. Both sides has multiple cross bars broken out, no idea how they got broken as the lenses were still OK?

Mosesatm

Were they all removed?
Some folks liked that look and removed the vertical bars.

hookedtrout

No, they were broken and it wasn't all of them, one side had 2-3 broken completely out and the other side had a couple broken but not completely gone.