• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Chrome Wheel Well Moldings - Add or Not?

p51

Need some help/opinions:

I'm *thinking* about adding chrome wheel well molding to my GT/CS (part of the Exterior Decor Package). I sorta like the way it sets off the wheel well/tires especially on the darker colored GT/CS's

Anyway,

I'd like people's general opinion about this option. Add it or not? (Note: my GT/CS is Cardinal Red and already slightly mod'ed so no real issue about keeping it original versus Marti)

For anyone who's added this, how difficult is it to do it yourself? How much time does it require (I may just have it done at a shop)?

Any suggestions on where to buy? Mustangs Unlimited has the kit for $60 (which seems to be the best price) but I'm not sure if there is differences in quality or not.

Thanks in advance
James

CougarCJ

I like them on most cars.

Technically they are called wheel lip mouldings, and they originally were made of anodized aluminum. Be sure and use the OEM type of screws. Made of stainless steel and have a very flat head.

Fairly easy to install for any DIY'er.

Mosesatm

I like them on most cars.

Technically they are called wheel lip mouldings, and they originally were made of anodized aluminum. Be sure and use the OEM type of screws. Made of stainless steel and have a very flat head.

Fairly easy to install for any DIY'er.

Ditto on the good screws. The cheap ones will strip either the threads or the heads, and they rust.

tomcwarren

I was looking at kits to do this, also, James.

Scott/Arlie - how do we know if we're getting a kit w/good screws? Has anyone bought a kit (or individual moldings) w/stainless screws? If not, does anyone have a part #/source for the screws?

I've bought repro trim for the CS a few times, and been disappointed in the quality about 50% of the time.:sad:

Powell

Wheel lip moldings

I have been thinking of adding these also, I wonder if Clubpro has these availiable or can get them for us. I know his parts are top notch.
Powell

di81977

Don't forget your roof rails. I have heard they can be very difficult, especially if you car has been repainted without them. Thickness of the paint makes it difficult to install.

franklinair

I put wheel lip mouldings on also. They give a 'finished' appearance.

I put the drip (roof) rails on mine after it had been painted: just be careful, starting at either end, and use a rubber mallet. Catch the lower edge first and then tap the upper edge - it will snap into place.

Neil

Perkchiro

I like the look. Debated about putting them on but I ended up ordering from Ron. Fairly easy install. They're wiry and can scratch your paintso be careful when you put them on.. I taped off the ends and around the lip of my fenders just to be safe.

nates68

Had mine on for years, look good on dark color cars,gives clean neat look to wheel wells. Im sure ron can fix you up. Enjoy the great look.

Nates68

Mustanglvr

My car has them and I think they look great! I've compared cars with and without them and it gives them a very classy finished look. There are chrome mouldings for the doors too right? Those would be cool on the edge of each door also.

Diesel Donna

Love mine! They came with the car and when I went to replace them years later, I had a hard time finding the parts in the early 80's. I found an ad in Mustang Monthly from a new distributor and I installed them myself after a new paint job. I also have the door edge trim and drip rail mouldings. Put 'em on!

OP
OP
p51

p51

Thanks for all the info. Looks like pretty much a consensus on a recommendation to add the trim.

Looks like I've got a small upcoming project in the future :wink:

clubpro

Thanks everyone for all of the support. I carry the wheel moulding kit and it sells for $59.95 plus shipping. I also have the door edge guards and the drip rail moulding. Just send a p.m. if you are interested and I will get them ordered.

Cheers,

Ron