• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Power Steering Return Hose Failure

NosAvrenim

So I've been getting the gal ready for the G/N this week and discovered a small leak in the power steering return hose. It was causing a small drip but resulted in a large spray to the tranny and undercarriage when the steering wheel was turned. I'm thinking to myself, "Of course this would happen just before the G/N and to a hose that I've already replaced recently". :mad:

None of the local Mustang shops had the hose (of course), but found that a local auto parts store has it (go figure :tongue:). Good thing I have the extra time to get this done before the show or I'd be spraying fluid from here to there (or cancelling my trip to the G/N).

Hopefully those of you there are attending this (or another show) this weekend are having a better time prepping.

~Nate

OP
OP
N

NosAvrenim

Power steering repaired. :grin:

But in the process of taking off the front driver's side wheel, I somehow managed to strip a wheel stud. :icon_pani Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get a local shop to press out the old stud and in a new one (found one locally) early tomorrow morning so that I can get over to the G/N and get registered.

I'm really getting the feeling that she doesn't want to be in the G/N.

TraveledGTCS

I'm see I'm not the only one with power steering problems. On the 16 of August my pressure power steering hose gave way and sprayed fluid all over the exhaust manifold. If that wasn't enough, it caught fire and did some damage on the driver's side and under the hood. I've had the hose replaced, plug wires replaced, the valve cover and air cleaner repainted and decaled. The hood still has to be repainted, the underside was scorched fairly bad, but the top only had a couple ripple effects where the paint started to cook. I still took it to a couple shows and to the IMM in Spokane. It's not too noticable when the hood is closed, but I have it open at the shows, so I get a few questions. I'll be having the whole car painted this winter, so I'm holding off on painting the hood until then.

Bill

Midnight Special

Power steering repaired. :grin:

I'm really getting the feeling that she doesn't want to be in the G/N.

...On the other hand, I've seen people, cars (and planes) go through the most miserable trials and tribulations before an event, only to wind up winning everything!
Have faith and have fun :)

P.S. Been there a few times with the power steering hoses as well! Mostly with chaffing of the metal tubes from the steering arm. Make sure your replacements go full travel without touching...

di81977

Recently been through both stripped wheel stud and power steering hose problems.

I bought a 68 Convertible earlier this year. Put on Shelby 10 spoke wheels and found that the rear wheel studs were all messed up. In addition to that, the car has 4 wheel disc brakes. For some reason, the old studs had been machined to fit through the rotor. Had to drill the rotors to take stock studs.

Then the return power steering line (which we found was oversized) eneded up pulling off. Fortunately it happened yards from my house. What a mess, lots of white smoke and pools of fluid. I replaced that hose only to find a small hole in the pressure line. I am a big fan of manual steering, especially in older Fords.

good luck
David

Ruppstang

Hi Nate it was great meeting you and seeing Tom again. Congrats to both of you on your awards at the MCA Grand National! Marty

OP
OP
N

NosAvrenim

Hi Nate it was great meeting you and seeing Tom again. Congrats to both of you on your awards at the MCA Grand National! Marty

Marty,
Thanks! It was great to meet you as well. It was great to finally put some faces with names from the forum.
Thank you (and your wife) for all the work and effort that went into the judging. Your efforts most certainly helped to ensure the Grand National's success.
I look forward to seeing you (and others from this site) at future events.

~Nate