• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Vinyl top or no Vinyl top?

dbeal

Have a question for you all. My GT/CS had an aftermarket vinyl top added to the car at some point in time. I don't know if it was dealer installed, I do know that they used aftermarket trim. Should I put on a vinyl top and use the factory trim or just leave it a painted hard top?

Darrell

luisa2552

Hi Darrell,
It really boils down to what YOU want. Do you like the look of the vinyl top? If you do, then leave it. Do you want to put it back to factory origianl? Then remove the vinyl. It's your car so do what you thinks looks good!

HCS@CT

I have the "40 years of Mustang" book and in it there's a Candyapple red HCS with a black stripe just like mine, But with a black vinal top. And it looks real good. Now I'm trying to keep it bone stock, but it does look really good.

Diesel Donna

I think red with black stripes and a black vinyl top looks hot!

~~~~Donna

Mustanglvr

I don`t like the vinyl tops. Only if it was original to the car would I ever leave one on.

PFSlim

I would have to agree that it is a "preference" issue. I like the cars either way, but I am glad we don't have one. It seems more simple and easy to care for. --This coming from a guy who does not have one!!!

Good luck on your decision. I don't think it really matters one way or the other!

Paul

68gt390

My CS (Royal Maroon) came from the factory with a black vinyl top with white side stripes. Looked like crap. Cut the car in half and made the astetics of the car look bad so I removed it and went with all body color. Like it much better. But, as was said earlier it's all in what you want and like.

Don :cool:

Mosesatm

Darrell, are you going for a stock look, a performance look, or an elegant look?

IMHO if you are going blue with white stripes then a white vinyl top will probably give you more of an elegant look than a performance look. Going blue with black stripes and a black top would give you more of a performance look.