• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Cobra Dragon Snake

x-codegtcs

I thought this was kind of funny (notice the year and engine size). I was at a local car show last week end and saw this sign. It makes me wonder if any of the sign is true. I didn't post a photo of this, but the "original paint" has the owner's name painted on it too...hmmm.

Attachments

• DSC00227.JPG
    DSC00227.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 19

68gt390

Original unrestored 1963 with a "302". Sounds rather odd to me. Not only that, the paint looks pretty darn good for unrestored 1963. Granted you can buff out the paint and make it look pretty good, I did that with my 68 GT 390 but, it didn't come out looking that good. Car almost looks like it has clear coat on it.

Don ???

P

PNewitt

I did a "google search" for "CSX 2038", and this site came up:

http://www.clubcobra.com/t51954.html

It's a "replica" Cobra message board site.
One guy calls it "from the Twilight Zone".

"IF" this car is real, the only way a '63 289 (actually 260) could be a 302 would be to bore it out and add longer rods.

Interesting reading..

Paul N.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Paul,

I just went to the site. Apparently it is a replica DRAGON SNAKE. The registry apparently shows it was a DARK BLUE not the Viking Blue that it has. It also said the registry showed it for sale in 81 disassembled ready for restoration.

I think that the valve covers are wrong for that early a cobra.

FYI - Larry Miller is the owner of the Jazz - and a lot of other things in SLC area - it looks like he can add a fake dragon snake w/o original paint to the list...

The seller ran all the way to the bank with that one. 8)

Bottom line is I guess I am just jealous and make my merry this way....

Attachments

• DSC00228.JPG
    DSC00228.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 14

Russ

The Shelby American World Registry documents CSX 2038 as a white car w/ red interior and indicates the car was used by MGM Studios for movies. Apparently it was "well used" and needed extensive repairs while at MGM. In 1964 the car was used by the Shelby School of High Performance Driving and was either "crashed or sold off as well-used goods". "Its whereabouts since are unknown."

With the SAAC research available, this car may not the true CSX 2038 originally produced in 1964.

Russ

Russ

Boy, Do I feel silly. I misread the VIN. The SAAC registry confirms that CSX 2036 is what is shown in the photos, and it does say the car was disassembled for restoration in 1981 with a 289 engine. Interestingly, the car is not identified as a Dragonsnake. Sorry for the confusion.

Russ

P

PNewitt

If I remember right...

MGM made "Spinout" with Elvis. I think that car was wrecked during the movie...lost in a ditch or something.

This car might have been rebuilt up from frame #2038.

You are right--early Cobra valve covers had open letters, and were made by "Buddy Bar" in L.A. The Cobra word was centered, and (I think) there was no oil filler/vent on them.

This may be off topic, but it's a good exercise on how fast authenticity can be found here, and on the 'net.

Paul N.