• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New Wheel Cover Theory

nfrntau

In a past post we all went round and round on wether the vinyl wrapped steering wheel covers were an original stock GT/CS items or not.
I have a new theory. See the attached photo below. I think that Ford in an effort to make the GT/CS a little more luxurious/sporty installed the Cougar XR7 steering wheels. The cars that did not have wrapped wheels was due to:
1. Ford ran out and used regular wheels.
2. Original owners didn't like them and took it off.

Anybody have any Cougar buddy or Ford contact who can verify this?
Paul, what do you think? Does this theory hold water? There are a lot of us who have these wrapped wheels.

Attachments

• 68_Steering_Wheel.jpg
    68_Steering_Wheel.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 14

rvrtrash

Speaking only as the voice of inexperience, back in the late 60's-early 70's, that style of wheel wrap was about all that was available aftermarket and everybody was getting them at K-Mart and putting them on, at least where I grew up. I would guess that the owners who put them on themselves far outnumbered the ones that ordered the wheel with a cover. Just my 2 cents and worth exactly what you paid for it. ;D
Steve

P

PNewitt

That diagram, if you look closely, is actually for a Cougar. A '68 Cougar XR7-G (Gurney) that included the leather wrapped wheel as part of that package (only). You'll see a Cougar emblem on the center piece. The Ford book likes to combine similar drawings (one size fits all) of the same parts (i.e. Cougar/Mustang) to simplify. They weren't for public consumption, since the parts guy knew how to interpret them with the technical listings for parts that went with every diagram in that book.

The same would be for the rear reflectors for both later '68 Mustangs and the Merc Montego.

I've never known of a Mustang getting a leather-wrapped steering wheel from the factory, and it was never part of the GT/CS. The text from wherever you got this diagram does not match the Ford Parts Book's font.

Maybe this helps.

Paul N.

Mosesatm

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1713;start=0#msg10749 date=1116819336]
That diagram, if you look closely, is actually for a Cougar. A '68 Cougar XR7-G (Gurney) that included the leather wrapped wheel as part of that package (only).

[/quote]

What is that line from Cool Hand Luke? Something like, "what we seem to have here is a failure to communicate."

Paul, if your re-read Bill's post I think you will find that he states in it that the wheel shown is for a Cougar but since it looks exactly like the pictures of some of the wraps submitted my others on this board might Ford, or some dealers, installed the same wrap on a GT/CS or two?

hookedtrout

Can you still get the steering wheel wraps? I still have mine on the car and I guess it's in good shape short of the plastic wrap string (for lack of a better term). Maybe I can find some blue leather string and re-wrap the thing. I like it, I'm just so short on the string it only makes about 10 wraps spread out so it makes it all the way around.

Hook

Mustanglvr

Those vinyl steering wheel covers can be bought at dollar stores these days. I bought a formed wheel cover with the finger grips all the way around at Walmart for $5.00. It just slipped on and it looks great. I took the string from one of the vinyl ones and wrapped it so there would be no opening on the inner side of the wheel. Wish I had a picture to show. Rhonda

P

PNewitt

Well, I don't mean to take the wind out of anyone's sails, but the XR7-G steering wheel wrap was NOT part of the GT/CS. Any Ford dealer could put one on at the request of a customer, but it was not a stock item or accessory for the GT/CS.

To give you an example of how "frugal" Ford was with the GT/CS, ACSCO made emblems for the steering wheel and dash that were not used. The CS package was an exterior type option only.

Paul N.

P

PNewitt

What is that line from Cool Hand Luke? Something like, "what we seem to have here is a failure to communicate."

Paul, if your re-read Bill's post I think you will find that he states in it that the wheel shown is for a Cougar but since it looks exactly like the pictures of some of the wraps submitted my others on this board might Ford, or some dealers, installed the same wrap on a GT/CS or two?

Huh? Whaaa? Oh. OK I was "sped reding" the post, and too busy looking at the diagram. GEESCH!

"IF" an original owner had one put on, it would be long gone by now, or at least pretty "rank" from hand sweat!! LOL!! If someone had the paperwork saying it was put on at a dealer, I suppose one could put on a close match to an original leather one (from a Brit car accessory company?). However, getting judges to notice and approve that is yet, as we know, another story...

Paul N.

Paul N.

mmarsalone

Those wraps can also be bought at the auto parts stores. I bought a tan one at Auto Zone to cover my cracked steering wheel. I shot it with Nugget Gold Dye before installing it to better match my interior.

Mike

hookedtrout

I'm sure mine is an aftermarket thing because I put it on in the 80's I just like this design over the Flamed 1/2 inch thick Tuner looking junk I saw at Walmart. It fits the era much better so a replacement of the same thing would make me happy. I'll look at the local auto marts and see if I can find one, thanks for the tip, I just assumed these were a long gone and forgotten style.

Hook

rvrtrash

Hey Hook, if you can't find one, let me know and I'll see if I can get one up here and bring it to you.
Steve

hookedtrout

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=1713;start=0#msg10777 date=1116891262]
Hey Hook, if you can't find one, let me know and I'll see if I can get one up here and bring it to you.
Steve
[/quote]

You're too kind Steve, by the time we meet up here next month you'll need a truck to deliver the goods for me. ;D

Thanks for the kind gesture. It's been said many times but I'll say it again. What a great group, full of great advice, great ideas, and great tips. Speaking of which I should be seeing my NOS 68 AM radio in the mail any time thanks to another tip from right here at home, home for the CS folks anyway. ;)

Hook

P

PNewitt

It just surfaced to my brain.

Nfrntau's theory is correct about a steering wheel cover for the GT/CS. That is, it was proposed, but not included in the option.

I remembered that ACSCO (the same company that made the hood pins, retainers, and CS script) did a proposal to include a steering wheel cover for the GT/CS. It's just that Ford never went for it.

I have a copy of the drawing from ACSCO. I'll put it into the new registry book.

Paul N.

rvrtrash

Paul, I think my coffee table is going to sag in the middle under the weight of your new book with all the neat stuff you're putting in it. I'm looking forward to it. ;D

Steve

case12

I will build a new coffee table if I have to. It would be worth it.

If it rivals the Mustang 40 year anniversary hard back book in size that I have there now, I will be a happy Mustanger. Casey

Attachments

• 40years.jpg
    40years.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 18
P

PNewitt

What? 34% off? Where is that? Barnes & Noble? I gotta buy that book, since my name is in it (no vanity here..oh, nooo)

Dang, who told you that a "folding heavy-duty-big-block quality coffee table" comes with my new Registry?? (NOT!!)

Thanks for the..uh..compliment!! ::)

Paul N.

case12

Paul, I just lifted the picture from Amazon. BTW, the GT/CS has a very nice section in this book, with lots of good pictures. The GT/CS is definitely noted as one of the top of 68 Mustangs. Casey

P

PNewitt

I got to meet the owner of the black GT/CS in that book at a Knott's show several years ago. It's a really sweet car!

Paul.

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

I'll help you beef up that coffe table! A 4x4 upright in the middle should do the job. You probably won't even need to drive a giant nail down through the top. The weight of that book should do it. ;D ;D

rvrtrash

[quote author=hookedtrout link=board=1;threadid=1713;start=0#msg10771 date=1116870146]
I'm sure mine is an aftermarket thing because I put it on in the 80's I just like this design over the Flamed 1/2 inch thick Tuner looking junk I saw at Walmart. It fits the era much better so a replacement of the same thing would make me happy. I'll look at the local auto marts and see if I can find one, thanks for the tip, I just assumed these were a long gone and forgotten style.

Hook

Did you ever find one? I looked at NAPA and they had them for $5.00 each but only had tan and grey in stock. What color do you need and I'll check a couple of other places.
Steve
[/quote]