• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Exclusion from registry book.

hookedtrout

Jon or anyone else that may have the answer, can you direct me in the proper proceedure to politely request that my information and any reference to me or mine be removed from PMN's book and registration. Do I need to snail mail him a formal request?

I've decided if Frank can't be in the book I don't want to be included either. Don't know Frank but I do think it's the honorable thing to do after seeing how he was dealt with I just don't know for sure what the proper proceedure is and it appears to be very easy to offend Paul so I want to get it exactly right the first time.

Thanks for any help.

Cory

robert campbell

Cory,
I am with you. My car that was in the 1989 and 1996 books is already removed. Frank seemed like a good guy asking some legitimate questions. I know him from nobody. This is SO over the top and sheds doubt on the legitamacy of the registry in his book.

Rob

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

A lot of stuff has gone on between Newitt and the group but the most recent issue with Frank and the complete slap in the face of this wonderful web site, californiaspecial.com, "Forget CS.com" is pretty bad.

So can someone tell me how I reverse the fact that my information is in his previous books and I no longer want to be in anything associated with his name. I didn't go through the recent sign up because I registered my car before this sight existed.

Do I send him a letter? Doesn't seem to work that well, at least in Franks case.
Do I have to join SAAC? No interest in that if I can avoid it.
Do I send Jon a formal request and ask that he forward it to Newitt?
Do I get his Newitt's email and email him? He claims he won't accept email for registrations? How about un-registrations? No idea why he has a hang up with email requests.

Anyone?

case12

My suggestion would be to PM Jon and ask him to send your request to Paul. Jon and Paul keep the registry jointly between this site and data Paul physically has, and Jon sends him updates periodically.

Eventually I see the registry being electronic on this site....it is a digital age after all. Thus we all own it, and it is maintained through the site and with some oversight for legitimacy. My two cents....Casey

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I would send a snail-mail letter as that seems to be Paul's preferred method of correspondence. I suppose if you had also pre-ordered a book that might put a wrinkle into things, since Paul has stated he will no longer give refunds. I would certainly think if you were no longer going to be in the book then it would warrant a refund, but that's me.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Casey and I were typing at the same time. I really don't think it adds any weight to come from me. I would suggest just sending directly to Paul.

The electronic registry form here on the site isn't intended to be an extension of the registry that Paul keeps. It just seemed to make sense, as the internet came of age, to create an online way of getting info to Paul (as he and I discussed way back when). It was designed simply to get more cars into the registry. Then once the info was in a web database it also made sense to make it so others could view it. But just remember it's only a portion of the cars in the actual registry, not separate and not a replacement for.

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Thanks Casey and Jon, snail mail it is, I assume his address is in one of the threads for the registration so I'll get it and send it off.

I did not pay any money in advance so no issues getting any refund. Ironically as it seems I came pretty close to paying for several books and then I thought, I'll give this a little while and see how it pans out before I invest. Just a lucky guess??

As for the registry's future, I wish all those that see value in it the best, really doesn't make much difference to me, my car has been registered all these years, 20+ and it hasn't made my car one ounce better or any worse, I really can't say that it has done a single thing for me, it has 0 value, in fact with all the recent issues it has a negative so I'll probably have less interest in registration in the future, if it helps someone else out and we get a reliable and worth while registration method I would certainly offer my car to help however it could but it means nothing to me personally.

I will add that it seems to be the consensus of a large majority of those that show interest in the registration that it be done electronically right here by this web site, the official final word on the CS and HCS. I'm sure you could get some very reliable members to help and support the effort and I will say this, Jon is about the most straight forward honest great guy I've dealt with, I haven't had any in depth dealings with Jon but his management of this web site speaks for itself in volumes and his management of the entire Newitt problems has been admirable in the highest regard. Even when Newitt slaps Jon (CS.COM) in the face, not a word, not a comment, just straight forward respectable managment of this wonderful place he has created. You have my utmost respect Jon and I would trust you with my information without question. I wouldn't trust Newitt for the time of day going forward.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cory

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Thanks again for everyones help, found the address and the letters in the mail.

Thanks Neil

Cory

aemoo28

Jon or anyone else that may have the answer, can you direct me in the proper proceedure to politely request that my information and any reference to me or mine be removed from PMN's book and registration. Do I need to snail mail him a formal request?

I've decided if Frank can't be in the book I don't want to be included either. Don't know Frank but I do think it's the honorable thing to do after seeing how he was dealt with I just don't know for sure what the proper proceedure is and it appears to be very easy to offend Paul so I want to get it exactly right the first time.

Thanks for any help.

Cory

Interesting that this is happening.

Do we need a new unbiased, fair, and respectfull registrar?

We can't have a registrar who omits or denies registry members based on personal issues. Not professional, and does not look good on this site. Who wants to be part of an uncomplete registry because registrar picks and chooses who's included?

DeadStang

JMO, but it seems to me that, once Marti reports became available, the written registry became fairly obsolete. I do have a copy of each of the earlier texts, and foolishly pre-ordered one with money sent. But truthfully, I haven't looked at my books in several years. For the 2 CSs that I've had, I have looked at the Marti and asked questions here for my info on these cars.

Midnight Special

Interesting that this is happening.

Do we need a new unbiased, fair, and respectfull registrar?

We can't have a registrar who omits or denies registry members based on personal issues. Not professional, and does not look good on this site. Who wants to be part of an uncomplete registry because registrar picks and chooses who's included?

...This happens any time a well meaning and tight knit consortium surrenders too much of its resources to one individual. Not only are you placed at the whim of his ego, but it's also risky in that there is no known contingency plan should anything befall the "registrar" or "historian" in this case. Worse yet, this self-named "authority" repeatedly claims that everything we send him becomes "his", thus restricting the vary use of our own data and material from now on. If allowed to persist - look for threat of lawsuits, more posted and private copyright intimidation and otherwise very limited use of our OWN data IF this book ever gets published ....unless you want to continue to pay big $$ for the right ....based on the character (or lack of) we've seen with this registrar!

His move to SAAC spoke volumes!

I commend you Cory (and others) for taking a stand that may bring some awareness and eventually, maturity regarding the future utility of Jon's wonderful website.

Last edited:

gofastguy

JMO, but it seems to me that, once Marti reports became available, the written registry became fairly obsolete. I do have a copy of each of the earlier texts, and foolishly pre-ordered one with money sent. But truthfully, I haven't looked at my books in several years. For the 2 CSs that I've had, I have looked at the Marti and asked questions here for my info on these cars.

I'm new here and all, but I do have copies of both the old registries which came to me with my purchase. I have to say that I was a bit under-whelmed by the registry info itself, although I have been enjoying reading the other parts of the registries. From everything I know, the Martis do not lie, and they should probably be the "gold standard" as to authenticity rather than the registries.

Just as an aside, I think that the writing style of the old registries does convey a bit of "attitude", and I am surprised that whatever issues you all have did not come to the forefront sooner...