• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Found CS for sale w/ 429 engine

mmarsalone

Hey guys,

I have no affiliation with this car. I was surprised to find it. While bringing the Harley in for a check up, I was riding down old Route 66. On the side of the road was a black GT / CS for sale. It was a small used car lot in Pacific, MO. The name of the place is M&M Auto Sales. The number is 636-742-3001, cell 314-650-3722. I spoke to John McIntyre.

I wasn't there long so I couldn't really check it out much. The car is black with white stripes. It has white stripes from the hood, over the roof, and down the deck lid. So the rear of the deck lid does not have the correct stripe. The paint appeared to be in pretty good shape. The car currently has a BB 429 engine although it was originally a "J" code. The VIN on the car is 8R01J152398. I haven't checked to see if it's in either registry. If someone has them handy you might be able to let us know. He doesn't have a Marti report on the car. He says the car belonged to a friend in Illinois and had been in the family for ~20 years. It's missing the reflectors on both rear quarters so you can assume they've been repaired. It's missing one hood lock and it has no fog lights. The wiring is there though. The engine compartment looks like it had a quick black paint job, so extra items were black like the was washer bottle. There may be some rust issues on the fender aprons as there were some sort of repairs on the tops of them. The car is an automatic, drum brakes,and no AC. The car has some large aluminum wheels on it. He is asking $18K but said he was negotiable.

I only had about 10 minutes to look the car over because I had to get the bike to the dealer before they closed. My wife and I are leaving for Fiji in the morning so I won't be able to get back and check it out until May 1st. But I'd be happy to do as it's only 10 minutes away. John did say he had pictures that could be emailed.

I'll try and check in from Fiji if anyone has questions for me.

Bula!

OP
OP
mmarsalone

mmarsalone

I just checked the 1996 registry and this car is listed. It has no details except the owners name, Joseph Ewing.

njmop

Looks familiar - see thread

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2258

Looks like its been seen before (1 year ago) for $17K so assume that there is room in the price. My sister lives in Pacific and although she doesn't know cars, I could have her or her boyfriend check it out.

With a mod like this one (302 to 429), what should be looked for? I mean would there have been suspension upgrades, larger rear, etc that would be needed to make this kind of conversion? What would an car like this be worth? Sounds like it needs some TLC...

rvrtrash

What "should" be done is heavier front and rear springs, 9" rear end, larger diameter driveshaft, larger diameter front sway bar, larger brakes and larger radiator. You could however just drop it in and it would work for a while, which it sounds like this guy did because he left the drum brakes on. With questionable body work in the rear and "Cover all sins" spray paint in the front I wouldn't even hazard a guess on value without looking at it but it wouldn't be 18K. Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.:grin:
Steve

Mustanger

If anyone goes over to see it, they may want to take some pic's and share them here for any and all to see ...

68gt390

I could be wrong but, a friend of mine who runs a body shop told me you would have to cut out the shock towers to get this engine to fit. A 428 or 390 will fit but, the 429 is bit wider than those blocks. Without the upgrades listed above this car would be a nightmare to drive. If any of the above upgrades were done I would sure want to check them before I put any money on this one.

Don

Mosesatm

Here is a quote from www.nzmustang.com.

Kar Kraft were faced with considerable obstacles in developing the Boss 429 Mustang, not the least of which was the fact that the Mustang engine bay was over 2 inches too narrow for the motor! They solved this with some radical surgery moving the entire suspension outwards a full inch on each side. This necessitated completely new reshaped shock towers, new widened strut tower brace, new top and bottom suspension arms, new heavy duty uprights, and heavy duty springs. A slim new power brake booster was needed to clear the big engine valve cover, and the battery was moved to the trunk to improve weight distribution. The rear suspension was beefed up with staggered shocks, HD springs, and a thick rear stabilizer bar. The whole car sat an inch lower than a stock Mustang, and as a consequence, a special "short" front spoiler was fitted to preserve clearance.

di81977

I know that a 428 and 429 are from different engine families, but how easily is it to tell the difference while in a car? Maybe the engine is not a 429??

Mosesatm

di81977 said:
I know that a 428 and 429 are from different engine families, but how easily is it to tell the difference while in a car? Maybe the engine is not a 429??

It should have huge distinctive valve covers.

Last edited:

nfrntau

It could be a standard 429 and not a Boss. The boss would be wider than the standard due to those monster heads. This is a photo I found online of a standard 429 and a chart showing the difference between all Ford motors.
I think it's interesting it shows the Boss to be 100 pounds lighter than the standard. Aluminum heads and intake possibly?

Attachments

• 429small.jpg
    429small.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Engine Sizes All Ford.JPG
    Engine Sizes All Ford.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 27

Mustanglvr

Maybe buying the car, returning it to stock and reselling the 429 motor would be a good idea. Then another GT/CS would be saved.