• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Woo hoo! driving the GT/CS today!

wally05

Well, I got the carb on and hooked up the choke, fired it up and just did a 20 min drive with no problem. The car still "diesels" a little though when I turn it off (it slowly shuts off over 2 or 3 seconds). So, it needs a little work. But, I don't hear any pinging or knocking. The choke opens as it should. I did notice that the exhaust popping doesn't really happen until the choke is all the way out. So, it could be a mixture thing. It's definitely not as bad as before, though. It's going to my shop on Tuesday for some minor things. But, I was driving it today... now it is raining! crap...

robert campbell

If your hot idle is a bit high it will contribute to dieseling. a way to check that is to leave it in drive and shut it off. Sounds like a turn or two on the idle mixture screws may help you.

First count the amount of turns in to a gentle "seating" of the screw and then set both screws to the same amount of turns out. Then get it good and hot and set the "curb" idle (throttle stop screw on left hand side of carb) down to the 600 to 700 rpm range. Now spin one of the screws out a bit, 1/4to 1/2 turn. Does it idle faster? If so turn the other side out. If not, try a 1/4 turn in. Keep playing and set the screws by ear to the highest RPM. If your mixture screws are way out of adjustment and the RPM gets over a thousand, then back the curb idle screw down to 600 to 700. If the car is idling to fast, the mixture screws will be mis-adjusted. In technical terms the throttle butterflies should be correctly positioned over the transfer slots in the carb base. If the buterflies are to far open (curb idle way fast) then adjusting the idle mixture screws is ineffective. A common mistake.

Have fun and give the above a try.

Rob

OP
OP
wally05

wally05

Thanks, Rob!

I'm actually about to drive it back home and it should be hot. I'll set it then. :)