• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Winter Projects

PFSlim

I think we posted a similar thread last year but wanted to see what everyone had planned for winter projects on the cars.

Our list includes: Remove and replace our power steering pump (leaking), Remove and replace speedo (not working), change or check lubes, remove and replace window crank handles (with 1967 version), clean entire car top to bottom, touch up paint (interior, exterior, and underside). We are also looking for a 9' rear end with posi track. We currently run a 9 in with 325 gears but would like to upgrade to posi track.

Then store for the winter!!!

Paul

rvrtrash

I'm rebuilding my air cond. compressor, and then spending the rest of the winter fixing really bad body work and rust repair on my '69 Fairlane conv. I know, I know, it's not a CS but welding in sheet metal is a cheap way to pass the time because no one makes most of the stuff so I have to make my own patch panels. A 4x8 piece of steel is pretty cheap really.
Steve :D

Perkchiro

Winter is a good time to prep our cars for spingtime driving. I am picking up my car from the body shop on Friday. It's all painted and they are putting on the fenders, hood, doors and trunk this week. I have just put the heater box back together with a new heater core and air cond. evaporator. New blower motor too. I have a lot of work to do on these upcoming cold winter evenings putting my car back together. Hope to have it ready to drive in the Spring. Wish me luck!
Steve :)

joedls

OK, let's see how much #$%# I get from this post ;D

I hope to finish the installation of my Holley 174 blower (having problems with pulleys because I want the blower and my AC) and a freshened up forged piston 302.

Then (here's where I expect the $%#^ from the people in other parts of the country), since I live in Southern CA, I expect to drive my GT/CS all winter.

;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Steve

Hope we can get together this next year with the GT/CS's. If I can offer up any words of advise for putting your car back together, please let me know.

Seems like we made about all the mistakes and learning experiences we could when putting ours back together. Without the help of Brian B., we would still be scratching our heads.

Paul

Mosesatm

[quote author=joedls link=board=1;threadid=2321;start=0#msg16136 date=1130796696]
OK, let's see how much #$%# I get from this post ;D

I hope to finish the installation of my Holley 174 blower (having problems with pulleys because I want the blower and my AC) and a freshened up forged piston 302.

Then (here's where I expect the $%#^ from the people in other parts of the country), since I live in Southern CA, I expect to drive my GT/CS all winter.

;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Ditto from Texas! Not the blower part, just the driving part.

Perkchiro

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=2321;start=0#msg16137 date=1130796716]
Steve

Hope we can get together this next year with the GT/CS's. If I can offer up any words of advise for putting your car back together, please let me know.

Seems like we made about all the mistakes and learning experiences we could when putting ours back together. Without the help of Brian B., we would still be scratching our heads.

Paul
[/quote]

Thanks Paul: I'm sure I'll be picking your and Brian's brain from time to time. Things are going fairly smoothly so far, but I'm far from finished. Although I've installed the engine, I haven't got the wiring finished, so no start up yet. I'm hoping that the engine starts and there's no hitches. Would hate to pull that engine out with freshly painted fenders! I appreciate all of the wisdom offered through this website. You all are a great bunch of GT/CS and HCS lovers!
Steve

DSO51

First things first.... Rebuilding the front end on my '68 HCS. It's been getting a little sloppy over the last couple of years. I could probably get away with just replacing a few bushings but why not take the opportunity to improve the handling and the safety.

2nd..... Just purchased a 1967 HCS. My plan is to strip it down and start from scratch. I've never done a complete restoration but each partial has gotten more and more detailed. So... this time I have decided to go the extra step and see what comes of it.

Any advice would always be appreciated.

Craig (DSO51)

Perkchiro

Craig: Looks like you're starting with the same intent I had, a full ground up resto. PFSlim (Paul) on this website did the same thing. See his beautiful GT/CS in the gallery. Good luck and post questions here. Many of us here can help you along the way.
Steve

DSO51

My intent is to have it look completely "bone stock" and do all the little performance upgrades that make it a pleasure to drive. Get a few more horsies out of the 289. Improve the ride and handling. Change the 3 speed out for a 4 speed and so on.

Oh, I know that I will have way more into this car than it will be worth. It won't be the first time. However, some people drink, some do drugs, some gamble their money away. Me.... I find no greater satisfaction than putting another classic pony on the road or working hand in hand with one of my 2 boys imparting the ethics of hard work and being able to see results of your labor at the end of the day.

What price would "Joe Everybody" put on a simple "thumbs up" as you drive buy?

So... as I climb off my soap box - thanks for the input.

Craig

Mosesatm

Bill, (Nfrntau) is in the middle of a ground up restoration too. Most of the structural metal work is done and the body work is probably half finished. It's nice to see so many ambitious souls on this site!

hookedtrout

Take the battery out, put the car cover on, get my butt back in the house by the fire and hibernate till spring. Been snowing the past 2 days here. ;D ;D man I love living where you get the oportunity to enjoy all 4 seasons to their fullest. Life is good!!!!

Cory

nfrntau

We get to enjoy the four seasons down here too. Of course down here fall and spring last about 2 weeks each. lol
Winter goals for me is to keep chugging along.
I'm finally to the part where each new thing I do to the car makes it look better. As Arlile mentioned the next couple items are to finish the metal and bodywork.
I'm happy to report my restoration is right on schedule. Of coarse my schedule was between two and five years. ;D
I'm 13 months since I removed the first bolt in dissassembly.
Craig, if you don't have one get a digital camera and take LOTS of photos. You will find out that you will still wish you had a photo you missed. Any help I can lend is just a question away.

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Craig

I agree. Take many digital photo's and post on the gallery page at this site. We love to see the progress. We are willing to offer up free advise. Our gallery is now on page 5 (Paul & Brian Stevenson). As you can see, we did not start with much.

Cory - Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!

Weather here in Kansas City is high upper 60's - lower 70's, slight frost in the morning - low mid 30's. Still GT/CS weather (for now). You guys in CA and TX - Drive them!!!!! ;D ;D

Paul

jk89cat

my big project is to get the metal welded on the 1/4s of my galaxie so i can get it painted and assembled . so i can also finally get my stang home and get it going . so many projects , so little time.

Bluestang

My project is to finally, bring back from the dead ,a 390 GT/CS. It has sat garaged for almost 20 years. I have had it 2.5 years . The car was shipped from Hawaii in 1985 and has sat covered ever since, I rebuilt the motor and tranny and fixed what ever the last owner screwed up. Just a little brake work and it is ready to roll . At Last!

68Fan

Winter Projects you say. Boy to I have a list. I'm hoping to get my rig back from paint in a week. From there its really getting the exterior squared away. Being the windshield and rear windows are out I'm also taking the time to replace the dash pad and rear window decking. With that being said it would make since to replace the instrument panel and bezels, install the original radio, replace the exhaust system and rebuild my carb and .... Sorry I have to time to finish I need to work on the car to be ready for spring.....

Peace,

Sean (aka 68Fan)

6t8-390gt

I'm thinking of adding A/C to my car, among other things. Although I admit I haven't been out in the garage for weeks, I am starting to have withdrawals.

twoclassics

Heck I am still trying to finish my summer project, this motor install is a bitch, help Don