• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Radiator Issues

Joes68

A question for the experienced Mustangers. What have you all done for your cooling system issues? i.e. have you put a radiator reservoir on your cars, have you put a fan shroud on, have you changed to a light-weight 5-6 blade fan, added an electric fan, or have you had your radiator modified?
I've had my 289 rebuilt and have a new 3 core radiator and hoses. After driving, the overflow hose at the top spits out about a pint of fluid but I've only driven the car twice. Will my radiator find a "happy place" with the fluid level, or should I put on a reservoir? The temp doesn't get above half-way so it's not overheating just spits a bit.
I've also been told that the mustang radiators have always had over-heating issues and I'm concerned come the 98 degree summer days.
A friend told me that he had cooling issues in his old mustang and some old parts guy told him to have a radiator shop change the top of the radiator by moving the hose on the top to the right side of the radiator. This then causes the fluid to circulate through the entire radiator to maximize cooling.
Right now with the stock set-up, in and out are on the same side of the radiator, therefore the fluid is not forced to go through the entire radiator and is NOT maximizing the cooling effects.
My friend had his radiator changed and never had another cooling problem with his mustang.
Makes sense in theory. Any other suggestions or comments? Sorry for the long post.
Ron

390cs68rcode

I have gone through this and found this works:

make sure to have a CLEAN radiator on the inside, have it recored if unsure. Make sure to have a new factory correct fan and fan clutch. This is probably the most important thing. Past this it could be a blocked passage in the motor, maybe a good flush is needed.

There can be many other small things but this should get you where you need to be. My 390 does not overheat in 95 degree weather with the AC going.

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks Jason,
The motor has only 100 miles on the rebuild and the radiator and cap are new, installed with the rebuild. Do you have a reservoir with a closed system cap?
Ron

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Jason,
I'm not having overheating problems, it's just that the over-flow at the neck burps some fluid after shut down. The radiator and hoses are all brand new and the fan is run by the engine belts continuosly so no clutch to worry about. The fan is a stock 4-bladed steel fan. I'm just getting tired of cleaning up the small amount of fluid after a drive. The thermostat is a 180 with a small hole drilled into it. I'm thinking the over-flow reservoir is the way to go for now???
Ron

390cs68rcode

the level should be about 1 inch below the top of the radiator, there should be roughly a inch of air between the cap and water. Not sure of the small hold drilled though.

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Jason,
I'm right at about 1 inch from the top with the fluid. I guess I'll have to drive it a couple more times and see if it will eventually find it's happy point, or if it will continue to spit which would mean I'm dealing with a bigger issue.
Thanks
Ron

69convert

what i did to stop that annoying dribble

if you are not worried about being "original" you can
use 3 row "desert' radiator, clutch (helps with hp and doesn't stress your H20 pump as much), a flex fan, and a shroud. I did all these and drove in the local parade at snail speed for quite a few miles. Car did not run hot at all. Can't say the same for me. "2-55 AC" except I wasn't going 55.
As for the coolant spitting after you turn the car off, none of the above is going to help. That nice big heat energy storage device (also called an engine) has all that heat strored. When the engine stops so does the fan.
The coolant gets the heat and then expands.
You have three choices. 1 - live with it. 2- supplemental electric fan with a thermostat controlled relay (on a nice hot day, you can hear the fan in late model cars running after the motor is off ). 3- purchase a coolant resevoir which allows the cooling system to vent when hot and then suck back the vented liquid as engine cools down (I put on the resevoir from kanter).
I also put on an auxillary electric fan on a 71 with AC which helps when
sitting at traffic lights. Keeps the AC output a little cooler.

Jayscal

If you have installed a new waterpump lately, there can be a trapped pocket of air in the engine. The small hole in the thermostat, should be at the top most position when installing. This helps air that is trapped in the engine escape.

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks for the info Jay,
I plan on running the car a couple more times to see what the radiator fluid does. I'll probably end up putting on a reservoir unless the summer heat requires more. Thanks again.
Ron

Jayscal

Don't forget to check the clamps on all the hoses, they tend to relax after awhile.

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks again Jay,
Will check the clamps. Have driven the CS twice recently and so far no spew after heat-up/shutdown. I'm still going to install a overflow reservoir before summer temps hit.
Ron