• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood Stripe

franklinair

Does anyone have a good photo + placement of the painted hood stripes?
IIRC, the stripes are 13" wide, but what is the displacement from the edges of the hood?
Is the hood Turn signal housing painted body color or stripe color?
I would be painting the stripes Black, on the Nugget Gold hood

Neil

p51

Does anyone have a good photo + placement of the painted hood stripes?
IIRC, the stripes are 13" wide, but what is the displacement from the edges of the hood?
Is the hood Turn signal housing painted body color or stripe color?
I would be painting the stripes Black, on the Nugget Gold hood

Neil

Neil

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I just did a quick Google of "hood strip specs 1968 mustang" and looked at the images and found the following (general) racing stripe specs...
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/3b/79/c63b799567c105f84666710278ea9152.jpg

Or this for the "1/2 stripes" from vintage mustang forum (scroll down)...
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/601918-hood-stripe-68-a.html

Also lots of pictures...
https://www.google.com/search?q=hoo...UICygC&biw=1600&bih=794#imgrc=MPkw2MZffA27cM:

James

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

dalorzo's & Rob's photos look great.
I've seen some photos that show the hood Turn signal bezel painted body color, some painted the Black. But which is correct?
I know the stripe is 13" wide, but need to know the distance from the edges of the hood also.

Neil

Ruppstang

Neil actual only the back recessed back area of the bezel is painted black. There is a pretty good picture in the 68 Mustang Sales brochure. I'll try to get a picture of dad's 68 S code with the hood strips.
Marty

p51

dalorzo's & Rob's photos look great.
I've seen some photos that show the hood Turn signal bezel painted body color, some painted the Black. But which is correct?

Here is the diagram from one of the links I provided above. It states that the "...special low-gloss black paint and extended from the inside of the louvers to the lower windshield molding"

Attachments

• 68_Hood_Stripes-1.jpg
    68_Hood_Stripes-1.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 43

p51

I know the stripe is 13" wide, but need to know the distance from the edges of the hood also.

Neil

It would seem to me that you can calculate that...
Since the stripe is centered on the turn signal louver, take the center of the turn signal louver and measure 6.5" on either side. Then measure to the side of the hood for the value you're looking for. Also measure between the "inside lines"(6.5" from the louver centers) of the stripes at the louvers - I would assume that this distance between the stripes would be constant all the way back to the windshield. Am I missing something here?

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I went digging in my 'archives' and found my old notes:
Hood stripe width is 13" wide
Hood stripe inside edge is 4" +/- 1/16" from hood center peak
Stripe color originates inside of hood light unit, and the hood light grill is also the stripe color.
Paint on the cowl should extend 1/2" downward toward the hood/cowl rubber seal.
Paint: Ditzler DDL9423 (Low gloss black)

Neil

Ruppstang

Here are the pictures of dad's car. Thought you might like the color.
His strip was 3 7/8 off the center, 13 inches wide and 6 3/8 from the outer edge.
Hope this helps.
Marty

Attachments

• 2080-06-26 02.47.00.jpg
    2080-06-26 02.47.00.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2080-06-26 02.47.20.jpg
    2080-06-26 02.47.20.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Thanks Marty.
That's EXACTLY what I was looking for.
My notes said the T/S grill piece should be painted the same color of the stripe, but I noticed the T/S grill is body color on your car. Which is correct?

Neil

Ruppstang

It has been a lot of years since we did this car so I can not remember what it was when we got it. I think most likely the grill was stripe color. At least in this case I think it looks ok either way. If I can find a definite answer I will let you know.
Marty

Ruppstang

I have been think about this and have concluded that the blinker grills would have been painted black because the stripes were painted on a completed car. Ford would not have removed the grill for painting.