• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Red GT/CS on Ebay for the third time

gijosegtcs

This Red GT/CS has been relisted on Ebay three times. I've taken a couple of hard looks and have considered maybe investing in it. Any of you more experienced owners know why it might not be selling? Maybe I am missing something? The only part that is confusing to me is the California, Wisconsin & Alabama registrations. Maybe I am way off but doesn't the car have to be registered in the state that you live in? Looking forward to reading your opinions

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...,1&item=220008900609&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:VRI

Gatorbait

Seems like a nice car, and has a lot of the right options (colors, a/c, etc). Can't for the life of me understand why he dwells on the title issue. Its probably scaring people away. Its true that Alabama only requires a bill of sale for these older cars, and that gets you a tag and registration. You can verify that in a million places on the web. However, he is selling it with a good Wisconsin title, so why is that even worth mentioning?

68gt390

I would think with a clear title in WI., you should be able to get it retitled where ever you take it. The only things that jump out to me are the mounting pedestals for the Lucas lights and the rear light bezels (that infamous black paint again). Other than that it looks to be a solid car from what I can see.

Don

BroadwayBlue

OK, let's see what I've learned in the past year and a few months.

The car looks to be in nice shape from the pictures. Here is what I notice.

1. The rear lenses have been replaced, as mentioned due to the black surrounding them

2. The foglights are mounted low (already mentioned as well) but could've been a bad dealer install

3. It has dual exhaust but it's not listed as a GT on the Marti and no GT hubcaps

4. It's been painted at least once or the scoops were replaced - the inside of the scoops were painted all red instead of leaving the screen unpainted and the black behind it

5. Engine looks like it was painted at some point (just my opinion)

6. Rear passenger side script is mounted incorrectly (like mine and a few others. The "California" is indented and it should be the other way around with "Special" indented.

7. It was built in March which is still early enough to have the original style side markers I believe, which it does

8. The Marti Report says "Red" interior ... is that the correct Red? I thought it should be brighter but it could just be the quality of the pics.

9. Has the rear and front bumper guards (there was a discussion on those here recently) Not that it's a problem just a note. Mine are sitting in a box in the basement. :smile:

10. It says Deluxe Steering wheel on the Marti but don't those have the woodgrain in the rim? It also looks like a new wheel to me - it's in great shape. Again the pics aren't the best resolution.

All that being said ... it still seems to be a decent car. Nothing stands out as a major issue ... would just take a good look at the rear end and quarter panel where the script is mounted wrong.

I know I got that advise on mine and in my case it appears it was just mounted wrong during the repaint or that rear quarter was replaced at some point although it doesn't appear that it was. My read end is original which you can tell by looking at the lights from the inside.

Again - it seems to be a decent car - has a lot of great options - not sure why it's sitting. But a few have been recently on eBay so might not be something specific about this one.

The experts might see something I missed or tell me I'm wrong. If I was in the market I'd consider it.

It got to $15,100 last time Reserve not met.

Last edited:

Mosesatm

BroadwayBlue said:
OK, let's see what I've learned in the past year and a few months.

10. It says Deluxe Steering wheel on the Marti but don't those have the woodgrain in the rim? It also looks like a new wheel to me - it's in great shape. Again the pics aren't the best resolution.

Dang, Rich, you're getting good. You're right the wheel shown is not a deluxe wheel.

It's my understanding that the deluxe steering wheel just has a woodgrain rim. The woodgrain pad centers, which are metal, are part of the deluxe interior package.

Mustanglvr

If the rear quarter was only repainted, would`nt the original holes for the script still be there for correct placement?

BroadwayBlue

Mustanglvr said:
If the rear quarter was only repainted, would`nt the original holes for the script still be there for correct placement?

I agree Rhonda and wondered the same thing on mine.
Unless they were filled in for some reason or the rear quarter was replaced.

I haven't figured that out exactly yet on mine.

I know Don's GT/CS is incorrect on the driver's side and the one on the calendar last month was off as well.

Theory in an old post when I was first considering purchasing mine was that the body shops, measure from the other (correct) side and use the same measurements - which is actually incorrect.

Still doesn't explain your hole question ... I don't have an answer for that ... yet ...

R

BroadwayBlue

Mosesatm said:
Dang, Rich, you're getting good...

Thanks Arlie ... but all that knowledge is from Paul's books, this site and all the members here. I am a disciple :grin: and I pass the word as much as I can here on the East Coast. Makes people think I'm a GT/CS expert out here but hey someone has to do it here in the Northeast :cool:

Of course I visited the Vintage Forums and decided to start getting involved there and got carried away on a GT/CS Grill Question and almost upset someone over there for voicing my opinion (aka facts) too much. MCA Judge no less. :grin:
It all worked out though. And she posted a pic of her friend's Concours GT/CS so it's all good. (off topic - sorry).

68gt390

BroadwayBlue said:
I know Don's GT/CS is incorrect on the driver's side and the one on the calendar last month was off as well.
R

Rich;
Driver's side is off due to whole quarter being replaced. The passenger side is correct. That quarter has never been replaced.

Don

BroadwayBlue

68gt390 said:
Rich;
Driver's side is off due to whole quarter being replaced. The passenger side is correct. That quarter has never been replaced.

Don

Hi Don,
I was thinking that is what happened on mine prior to the owner before me but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

He wasn't aware of it and he is the one that repainted it. He said those holes were there already. Someday I'll know the rest of the story :cool:

Rich

hookedtrout

My script is wrong on the passenger side as well and mine is due to the quarter being replaced and the measurements being taken from the drivers side. I know the original owner as well as the body repairman that did the job. I'd suspect this is typically the case when you find this. Odd that they wouldn't take the measurements for the holes directly off the quarter that they remove unless they get rid of it prior to needing the holes drilled.

Cory

Mustanglvr

Maybe the old quarter was wrinkled up from an accident and they could`nt get a good measurement.

70boss

That was my car. I sold it to the current owner. My friend bought this car in San Diego Ca. in May. It was a black plate car with current registration, plates are still with the car. My friend bought the car and he and two of his sons flew out there to drive it back to Wisconsin. A teaching exercise for his kids to learn maps and stuff. The car is terrific and totally rust free. It made the 2400 mile trip with only a wheel bearing issued that was fixed on the way. The current owner was trying to buy a 65 Corvette, that deal fell through and he bought the Cal special. The 65 Corvette is now available and he wants to sell the GT/CS. I may just buy it back it is that nice of a car. The title thing makes no sense to me. I have personally driven and inspected this car, not to mention I photographed the car....he is using my pictures with permission as well as most of my original description. The AC was inop when I sold it to him, he has since fixed it. If you have any questions you can call me direct.

Rob

608-588-4499

Good Luck