• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine Heads

green56

Have a big question hope someone will help when i rebuilt my engine i needed different heads someone had 66 heads i gave then to a head rebuilder he put new seats valve stems and we put roller rockers in would that still work on a 68 engine it is a 289 engine and heads came off a 66 thanks for your help Tom from Wisconsin

J.Bart

i am not up much on the small blocks, but there shouldn't be much difference between
the 66 and the 68 289 heads. as far as rockers they should work just fine.
the differences were more small changes in runners and comb. chambers
from year to year. generally 289, 302 heads in any of the 60's years, should interchange.

OP
OP
G

green56

W#hen i rebuilt the engine i put a napa water pump on 289 would by putting the aftermarket water pump would that cause the water flow to fast and not cool the water down and iam still blowing water out the overflow tube i had the water temp up to 210 i even put a extra fan to cut in at 180 any help please

franklinair

NAPA water pumps are pretty much 'standard', not high flow. I've used them on 289's and never had a problem in that regard.
Did you have an overheating problem before you rebuilt the engine?
Same block?
Same heads?
Same radiator?

Neil

OP
OP
G

green56

Engine heads

It is the same block, Heads were bad put rebuilt heads from a 289 put everything new on heads, put 3 pass high eff rad 4 blade fan engine and heads were boiled out and flush out eng, and heads. Over heating when i got car but it was a year after i got car it was winter here when i got car put tep gauge in rad it reads 210 and shoots water out the overflow tube Any help is needed

Last edited:

CougarCJ

I think that it is possible to put head gaskets on backwards, blocking off a water passage. Been there, done that, go the T-shirt. ;-)

Silly question, but did you verify that the fan is installed correctly? Fan spacer places it relatively close to the radiator? Any fan shroud?

OP
OP
G

green56

heads

Neil what it should have said flush out eng and heads check heads gaskets they are ok Their is a fan shroud every thing looks good Does any one thing that this is the nature of the beast? Do you think i should start pulling the heads off and start going thru the eng again to see if there is something wrong

franklinair

My first thought would be Scott's (CougarCJ) idea of a headgasket improperly installed. Next would be the heads. SOMETHING is impeding the waterflow/cooling.

Neil

PS: Am I going to have to send Rob there to assist you? ;-)

OP
OP
G

green56

Heads

Neil I live in the Milk And Dairy State Wisconsin Would you suggest to pull the heads and start from their just looking for something?

Mosesatm

Before you pull the heads remove both large radiator hoses, remove the thermostat, secure a garden hose into the thermostat housing, and turn on the hose. Does the water seem be flowing as it should out the bottom hose?

OP
OP
G

green56

heads

Will try that weather is 90 so will have to wait until the weather cools off some

franklinair

Good idea. It just seems to be flowage restriction- either in the heads, block, or radiator (which is new??). Although, I've seen/heard of NEW radiators having blockage.

Neil

OP
OP
G

green56

heads

Neil this is the 2 new rad i installed the first one did the same thing the car overheated we are going to flush out the eng and heads and put in bucket tp see if any thing comes out we are going from top and thru the bottom will let you know what happens keep shooting ideas across thanks Tom

robert campbell

Tom,
DO NOT pull the heads yet.

Verify that the themostat is working properly by putting it in a pan of water on the stove and use a candy thermometer and watch it open. Does it open when it should? A 180 termo should open right around 180 and be fully open within around 5 degrees of 180. Say 185.

I still think you have a new motor that is mis-timed and does not have enough advance. The more an engine is retarded in timing the more heat it develops at idle. Do you have the dual diaphram distributor?

Rob

OP
OP
G

green56

heads

Rob thermostat is 160 timming set at 12 have the single dist rad is clean

OP
OP
G

green56

Distributor

does any body have a extra dist for a 289 hp I think it is a 2100 ? or I need a vacuum breaker plate let me know if someone would want to sell or to get a new vacuum breaker plate thanks Tom Wisconsin