• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

BEST 1968 CALIFORNIA SPECIAL ON THIS PLANET

Talan423

i was just browsing through ebay and and came upon a gt/cs for sale (auction). the title claims that it is the "best 1968 california special on this planet" with only 26,000 miles and is museum quality. from the pictures it does look like a very nice car. i'm not a gt/cs expert, nor is my car perfect, but i would have to argue about the "museum quality" part of this description. does anybody else see anything wrong with this car?

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871518951

RacingFan

;D

You beat me for the first post...lol...its almost like playing "whats wrong with this picture".

The car has pretty new paint, I will admit, but what about???

Incorrect fog light mounting
Incorrect stripe application side and rear
F O R D lettering across the hood
Rear taillight panel silver

Didn't let all of the pics download, I was laughing too hard...but not for long, cause then I saw that someone had already bid over 10K for the car! I am debating on at least sending him the link to this site to do some research!

Anyone else find anything more wrong?? ???

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Just a few more...

1. Wrong gas cap
2. '67 interior (steering wheel, seats, door panels)
3. Incorrect CS script placement on rear quarters

For a 26,000 mile car it sure has had a lot of work done to it. The '67 parts makes me wonder if it's really a GT/CS at all. Why would you install a '67 interior in a '68? Even if the interior had been trashed you'd replace it with the correct year, right?

C160223

[quote author=admin link=board=1;threadid=94;start=0#342 date=1036041319]

For a 26,000 mile car it sure has had a lot of work done to it. The '67 parts makes me wonder if it's really a GT/CS at all. Why would you install a '67 interior in a '68? Even if the interior had been trashed you'd replace it with the correct year, right?

[/quote]

it even has the 67 style rear view mirror and no shoulder strap seat belts

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Just for kicks I emailed the seller asking for the VIN. Wanna bet it's either a '67 VIN or he doesn't respond at all?

The no front markers clinched it. I'm definitely thinking '67 GT/CS clone. Check the sellers feedback. Quite a few people pissed at him for misrepresenting cars.

68sunlitgold

It's amazing everyone sees the same thing....as a matter of fact I wrote this guy yeterday about this car, asking him to send me the VIN #, no answer. Well here is the email I wrote:
"Mike,
I just wanted you to know that I have serious doubts that the car that you are selling on ebay, item # 1871518951, is an authentic GT/CS. I only say this because I am an owner of one and I have spent the last 5 years getting to know alot about them. There are some things that do not make sense, I believe this car is a 1967, what is the VIN # on it, that would be a sure give away. The other things are: 67 complete interior (to include the seats, door panels, dash, A/C controls, steering wheel, and floor console), 67 hood, 67 front fenders, 67 pop open gas cap, and 67 engine A/C components. Also the stripes are wrong, the California Special script on the rear quarters is in the wrong place, the fiberglass back panel should not be argent (silver color) but should be the body color, wrong fog lights. I am not trying to be a pain, I only want you to be aware so someone does not come back at you when they try to authenticate the car, and the only way to do that is to get a VIN read out which is done by Kevin Marti of Marti Auto Works. There is more info about Kevin and the California Special at www.californiaspecial.com . Thanks for listening to my rambling."

Doug

Jayscal

Wow, that the biggest fake I ever seen, in my 19 years of ownership. Even the side scoops are not correct. I feel sorry for the poor guy who buys this. Over the years, I have had many ignorant people say mines a fake, because they refuse to believe these cars existed. Then I pull out my book by Paul, and enlighten them.

Jayscal

I just had to e-mail this guy asking for a VIN #. I think we all should do this. Some poor guy is gonna buy it, and show up here on the board. I don't want to be the person who has to tell the buyer it's a fake. :(

Jayscal

UPDATE:

The seller has cancelled the auction on this car. I don't care if he markets it as a nicely done modified 1967 Mustang, but please don't mislead people saying this is a genuine museum quality car. Thank you all, for e-mailing him, and by the auction being stopped, he has realized his mistake. Thats one for the good guys !

AS A 3 TIME 1967 COUPE OWNER, WHEN I SAW THIS ONE I SCRATCHED MY HEAD CONTINUOUSLY. NOT GOOD TO FOOL PEOPLE, THE FUNNY THING IS, HE MAY NOT HAVE EVEN KNOWN WHAT HE HAD. SELL THE CAR IF YOU WANT, JUST TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE, IT WILL STILL SELL. I PERSONALLY LIKE THE 67 INTERIOR WITH THE 68 GT/CS BODY. BY THE WAY, WHAT IS "GT" ABOUT A GT/CS. AND THATS A "66" STEERING WHEEL ALSO A FAVORITE OF MINE. good EYE everyone

admin

Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=STANG348 link=board=1;threadid=94;start=0#358 date=1036207256]
BY THE WAY, WHAT IS "GT" ABOUT A GT/CS.
[/quote]

Nothing really, except the decal on the side. The GT is just part of the name, but doesn't mean all GT/CS's were actual GT's. Just like any other 68 Mustang you could order the GT package or choose not to.

Glad I found this site. I was looking at bidding on this CS and never realized the ad was so misleading. I felt it was a good price for the condition of the car and I am certainly glad I came across your website. Keep up the good work. I will certainly coming back to this site for future information.

[quote author=Talan423 link=board=1;threadid=94;start=0#339 date=1036034084]
i was just browsing through ebay and and came upon a gt/cs for sale (auction). the title claims that it is the "best 1968 california special on this planet" with only 26,000 miles and is museum quality. from the pictures it does look like a very nice car. i'm not a gt/cs expert, nor is my car perfect, but i would have to argue about the "museum quality" part of this description. does anybody else see anything wrong with this car?

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871518951
[/quote]

OP
OP
T

Talan423

did anyone ever get a reply from this seller? my guess is that he had no idea what he was selling.

Jayscal

I didn't get any replies from the seller, I'm sure when he checked the VIN # he was not to happy. :'( I would bet the car had a rough looking paint job due to all the aftermarket parts installed, and was traded in for something on his lot. He was probably told this was a GT/CS, so he had the body shop do a great paint job on it, with the thoughts of 300% profit.

P

PNewitt

WOW!

You guys are good! Now I don't feel so bad spending my money publishing GT/CS books, instead of a total CS restoration.....but that will come later.

This is really great!! I think we have put folks on notice (authenticity) when they want to sell these cars. Good for you!

Paul.