• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 The gas station

rvrtrash

I recently joined a local Mustang club, reluctantly, and found out one of the members has a replica gas station in his back yard. Seems he used to own a service station and is a big car guy, so when he retired, built one to store all his memorabilia. It has a working hose bell, all kinds of oil cans, tire stands, literature, sliding rack pop machines, just lots of cool stuff. It's like a trip back in time. He even saved a couple of the large signs from the front and put them up. He allowed me to take a few shots of my car in front of it for the calendar pictures and I thought you might want to see what the place looks like. I'm not saying exactly where it is, to respect his privacy, but it's very cool. It makes me want to start collecting stuff and build one too, if I ever get some property.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff158/rvrtrash/

Steve

Midnight Special

That's cool! 'Reminds me of one of my model train friends who placed two old wooden Western Pacific box cars in his yard to house an awesome N-scale collection and layout. We used to meet on Friday nights and play trains for hours!

I also met someone here last year who did sort of what your friend did... Neat stuff!

Attachments

• DSC_0381.jpg
    DSC_0381.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0399.jpg
    DSC_0399.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0417.jpg
    DSC_0417.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0377.jpg
    DSC_0377.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 20

Ruppstang

If you are ever in Springfield IL. there is a real good one there that is open to the public. I think it might be on route 66. Marty

CougarCJ

A good friend of mine also is building an abandoned Texaco gas station.
Texacoabandoned.jpg

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Now that's cool! I like the derelict wrecker. Nice touch.

Steve

sam

Those are awesome pics.....thanks so much for sharing. Is that your White California Special in front of the Texaco station? Tell your friend that really brings home memories................a trip back in time.

hookedtrout

If you can't find any property I have plenty, come on down and start building, I won't mind at all.

Cory

robert campbell

I worked at a local Texaco station in Bremerton in 1971. Gas was 35 cents a gallon or so when I started. I was in charge of pumping gas and slopping out the heads at the end of the day.... Of course everone kept our heads clean back then..... Not. Also was in charge of the daily lube bay floor cleaning..... Did get to help the mechanic from time to time. One of the mechanics owned a nearly new if not brand new Cobra Jet Cougar Remember it like yesterday. The stripes on the hood were just like Scott's

Rob

hotrodgrany

Way to cool pics, There is a guy here that collects gas pumps, wished I had pictures of them. There is a town where my Granddaughter goes to school that has a little service station replica and always wanted a picture of my cars in front, but always unable, because one can't get in front. Maybe I can see if I can Thursday, be a good picture for 2010 calendar, see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

hcsstang

The Hershey museum has a station on display in the AACA museum. Plus a metal shop in the 1900 display. If you ever get to the east coast the museum is well worth it.
AT the Carlisle show you can run across gas pumps with the glass dome and they run several thousand dollars.

hotrodgrany

How about this.... taken where my Granddaughter goes to scool. Just love taking pictures of guess what..... Who wouldn't want to buy for gas here "Gas special 7 gallons for 1 dollar".....

Attachments

• 100_05281.JPG
    100_05281.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_0526.JPG
    100_0526.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: