• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Power Steering Hose Routing

patnpat

I have reviewed the other posts on this subject, but they do not entirely answer my questions.

While replacing the power steering ram boot We discovered an “unusual” routing of one of the power steering hoses. I am pretty sure that Ford did not use plumbers strapping tape on OE installations ;)

The strapping tape has been used to keep the Power Steering hose away from the exhaust manifold. What should be the correct routing to keep the hose away from the manifold.

Is this even a correct hose? Is this where one of the factory rubber straps should mount?

Thanks, Pat

Attachments

• Mustang PS Hose routing.jpg
    Mustang PS Hose routing.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Mustang PS Hose routing1.jpg
    Mustang PS Hose routing1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 59

Ruppstang

Yes you are correct that is not how Ford did it. Both hoses should be routed through the clamp and insulator by the motor mount. I can not tell from you pictures whether or not you have the correct hoses. Here are some pics of my car and how the hoses are routed. My car is a C code 289.

Attachments

• 2015-08-15 18.48.05.jpg
    2015-08-15 18.48.05.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 2015-08-15 18.47.42.jpg
    2015-08-15 18.47.42.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 2015-08-15 18.47.18.jpg
    2015-08-15 18.47.18.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
P

patnpat

Thanks, Marty:

The hoses do run through the bracket and insulator. It appears the two hoses should run parallel to the ram. Our one hose is extra long and as a result goes beyond the ram and then doubles back, putting it "in harms way".

Pat

Attachments

• Mustang PS Hose routing2.jpg
    Mustang PS Hose routing2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 30

dalorzo_f

OEM used a rubberish strap attached to the shock tower to hold the lines away from the manifolds.

I'll see if I can find some pics, or go snap a few later today...

dalorzo_f

just went out and snapped a few pcis.

It looks like when the shop repaired the typical gaping hole in the shock tower a PO hacked in to get to the grease nipples on the UCA they filled the hole for the strap.

Strap and current routing, which I think is close to OEM. Shafer Classics hoses, which are a good option in between the Blue Dot$$ and other "kinda-fits-ok repros I have tried.

HTH

Strap

(photobucket keep flipping it upside-down on upload, and edits are just taking forever to apply....)

Hose Routing

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

patnpat

It looks like the high pressure hose comes off the pump vertically then loops forward before proceeding through the insulator. Our hose has no such loop. It is either installed incorrectly or is not the correct hose. Your thoughts?

Pat

Attachments

• Mustang PS Hose routing3.jpg
    Mustang PS Hose routing3.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 45

dalorzo_f

Looks like an after market hose, as it seem to have a long straight tube off the crimped connector. As well as missing the alignment bracket on the back of the pump, which could indicate a PO modification.... new pump or just a new hose...

Does the pump have a tag on the backside? (example stolen from a random website below....)

HBA-BF-TAG.jpg

OP
OP
P

patnpat

I do not find a tag. Should it be on the side where the hoses are located?

The hose looks to be a 70-71 Mustang/Cougar pressure line. It appears to match the Scott Drake line for those cars.

The work would have been done in the 70's or early 80's as it has been in our family since 1988. Owners would just take cars to their mechanic and he would make it work, with no thought for authenticity. My father-in-law purchased this car and was a stickler for detail. He also had access to lots of NOS parts. He would have done it right.

Here is a picture of the pressure hose.

Pat

Attachments

• Mustang PS Hose routing4.jpg
    Mustang PS Hose routing4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
P

patnpat

BTW, anyone know a source for the alignment/indexing bracket?

Thanks, Pat

OOPS! Never mind, found a couple of sources online for used parts.
Pat

Last edited:

azbeneman

I had this same issue over the past couple weeks. I tried to order the original hoses from NPD. I was told the original style was no longer available. They assured me that although the bend on the high pressure hose was slightly different, it would be correct.

Well, no, it wasn't. The hose bends down and out so there is no way you could loop it (not long enough & too close to the exhaust manifolds). After fitting it, I decided to keep it since it fit nicely through the hose block. I have the piece of rubber that held the original hoses. It is a cool piece, but I won't be able to use it.

I am disappointed that I cannot use the bracket on the back of the pump, especially after I had already cleaned and painted it. You will notice I left the bracket on the pump since I would have to take off both my AC compressor and PS pump out to get the bracket off. No thanks for now, maybe someday.

Craig

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
P

patnpat

Hi Craig:
Looks like you have the same hose I do which is for the 70/71 Mustang. I do know that Scott Drake makes the correct hose.

I feel your pain!
Pat

p.s. We have a local Mustang supplier who can get me the hose from Scott Drake.

OP
OP
P

patnpat

My high-pressure hose runs through the rubber insulator block on the side of the block next to the exhaust. Some pictures I have seen show the hose running through the hole next to the fender, which makes more sense to me.

Which is correct?

Thanks, Pat

dalorzo_f

Q1. routing

Per the FAM 3A719 pressure hose runs nearest the bracket clamp bolt, upper hose in the rubber bushing, away side from the engine. (and in looking at my pics above I may I may have mine backwards)

Q2. Bracket

Yep, that looks like the correct bracket. Mounts to the rear side of the engine frame bracket. Shows in the 3rd and 5th pics (not real well, but should give you an idea) in my post above...

OP
OP
P

patnpat

Hi dalorzo_f:

It does look like yours might be incorrect. I did find a post at http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8402
that appears to be original.

Our high pressure hose must have been replaced with an incorrect 70-71 hose. When that was done the support bracket was incorrectly installed (backwards). You can probably see it in pics at the top of the post.

I assume both hoses run underneath the steering arm.

Thanks, Pat