• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Another Bad Idea?

robert campbell

How cool is that!!!! Looks like a salt racer in the making as Scott said. Hub caps are a dead give away for salt racing. Or the look anyway.

Can anyone read the logo on the wing strut?

Rob

rvrtrash

I haven't seen a Fiber Fab in probably 20+ years, but thought they were kind of cool. Kind of a pantera-ish/ GT-40 look.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Some Mustang owners just make me sad.
Those are truck wheels, are they not?

Attachments

• 68 Mustang Wheels.jpg
    68 Mustang Wheels.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 60

clubpro

It just proves to us that some people's taste is all in their mouth. Those are butt ugly!

Cheers,

Ron

robert campbell

Arlie,
Kinda cool in a weird sort of way!! Wonder what the builder did to stiffen the unit body. These cars depend on the "C" pillar to windshield and then to firewall and shock tower braces to keep them "solid" so to speak.

That short of a roof line would require some frame stiffening in my opinion.

Rob

franklinair

Well, convertibles don't have a roof line for structural strength, and the windshield pillar looks intact. In 68 Mustangs went to the dual torque boxes for added frame strength, which made them viable candidates to modify a coupe to a convertible. Although you'd have to install & weld the inner frame rail. (Don't ask me how I know.):lipsseal:
Point being- its do-able. If done right.

Neil

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

.....plus it has the tonneau cover holding the back end together.:wink:

robert campbell

The verts as we know are strengthened. Just wondering what we would see if this car was raised up. As we know in stock coupe/fastback form that cutting could significantly weaken the car.

I road in a pretty rusty 1967 Mustang vert on a nice hot day. Put my arm up on the door as we were riding along. He hit a bump and "yowiee" the car flexed at the door jam and pinched the skin on my arm!!

Even a perfect vert is not a good candidate for big motors and lots of abuse. Without the top they lose a ton of structural strength. Even with the extra factory bracing. They sold them with 390's and such, but not many made the race track! For obvious reasons.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

That's not exactly how Neil would make the air cleaner fit but I guess it works.

Attachments

• Air Cleaner 1.jpg
    Air Cleaner 1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Air Cleaner 2.jpg
    Air Cleaner 2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 44

66hcs-conv

Ahhhh, that's one of the projects where they measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut it with an ax! :eek:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

I don't know anything about rear sway bars but I'm guessing this one is not properly attached.

Attachments

• Rear Sway Bar.jpg
    Rear Sway Bar.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 60

robert campbell

You are right on Arlie!! I will nominate you for Captain Obvious!!!I will post a pic of a properly installed one.