• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted: Affordable Fog Light Covers

P

PNewitt

I was looking at a GT/CS for sale on EBAY, and it occurred to me that those Lucas lights should be protected from rocks, etc., on the road.

Then, I thought about "fog light covers". So, I did a Google search for "fog light covers", and the closest I came were the KC fog light covers, with a big "KC" on the front. Lots of truck stuff, and misleading sites that want you to buy other stuff, where you have to wade through things you didn't ask for....

I know that the original Lucas covers would be the way to go, but not everyone can find them, or they are too expensive, or the rubber straps onthe back eventually break.

I know that this is not an original idea, but, I thought about how cool it would be to make some, in vinyl, edged in piping on the front, some foam padding, and an elastic back, so they would just slip on, over the lights (including Marchals)

If the front was black (or dark grey to match the grille color), with the white "GT/CS" logo (or HCS shield) (matching that on the side scoops), they would look pretty sharp, like they belonged there.

Then I wondered-- if a supplier that already made these in black (or any other color) could silk-screen the logo on the front, these would be popular for the GT/CS owners. Especially with the high price of replacement fog light glass (especially Marchals!!) I also used to have a set that were just a checker pattern. They were very ""Le Mans" looking in the grille.

I guess at this point, my question is: who can find something like this on the internet, and if not much is out there (my experience), then who would want to make these, or have them made? It could make for a good small sideline business. I can see these type of covers, with silkscreened logos for the '65-'66 GT Mustangs, '68 and '69 Shelbys, GTO's, etc.etc....'cause nobody makes these. (perhaps you'd need to get legal OK to use various car logos).

Just an idea...any takers? Ideas?

Thanks--Paul.

Diesel Donna

A few years ago I had my upholstery guy make me some white canvas type foam front covers for my fogs. They are very tight fitting and looked nice. I chose white to match my stripes. But they are SO tight fitting that they are hard to put on. So I recently bought some Lucas covers, correct for the car and what do I do? I hardly ever put them on because they are so easy to steal! Anyone could easily slip them off and into their rear pocket. :::::::::heavy sigh:::::::::

rvrtrash

Donna, I've been toying with the idea of making a retainer of heavy fishing line (100# test or so) with two loops, one around the strap and one around the fog light base. The loop around the base would slide so I could open it up to get over the fog light when I wanted to take the cover off. They could still get the cover if they wanted but it would take a little more work and time, which might make a difference. It's one of my winter projects that you might want to consider and copy.

Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Perhaps a "how-to" with patterns would be beneficial on this site--or at least a fog light pattern that could be printed, and taken to an upholstery shop, to make a set there.

Great idea, Steve,

Paul N.

gtcs1

PNewitt said:
I was looking at a GT/CS for sale on EBAY, and it occurred to me that those Lucas lights should be protected from rocks, etc., on the road.

I guess at this point, my question is: who can find something like this on the internet, and if not much is out there (my experience), then who would want to make these, or have them made? It could make for a good small sideline business. I can see these type of covers, with silkscreened logos for the '65-'66 GT Mustangs, '68 and '69 Shelbys, GTO's, etc.etc....'cause nobody makes these. (perhaps you'd need to get legal OK to use various car logos).

Just an idea...any takers? Ideas?

Thanks--Paul.

Hi Paul,

I guess this is this type you're talking about. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marc...290035384421QQihZ019QQitemZ290035384421QQrdZ1

They're a bit expensive but they're the real type used on the Marchal. A similar cover could be done for the Lucas.

What would be the correct image/logo to use for lucas?

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Wow. Thanks for finding that info on EBAY. If they are repros, then there must be a source. The dealer--"GBSpares" sounds familiar.

I'm going to a Italian Car Show today for research, and I'll ask if anyone knows where to get them, and then I'll post it here.

I just wonder--would GT/CS owners use these? Would they look OK on your car? Opinions?

thanks again!

Paul N.

P.S. hey GT-Bandit. Have you ever seen Lucas or Marchal lights at auto jumbles out there? How much? ($AU)

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks for the link, GT,

These look like the ones available about 1971 and up, with the black plastic backs.

The covers are correct for Lucas, but, again, the '69 and up type.

$67 Au sounds like a good price--so far. Some folks would use one fog, for the oncoming traffic side, and a driving light for the shoulder side of the road-side.

If you wish to have something to drive with, these look OK. If i were you, I'd try the Rolls and Jag, and Brit car garages and shops for used Lucas lights like these, and/or the all chrone ones. Ask for 1968 vintage Lucas Square 8 lights.

Paul N.

Mustanger

LUVMYCS said:
Thanks Mustanger but I thought they also made Lucas vinyl covers like the ones for the Marchals. Am I wrong?

... I haven't seen Lucas vinyl covers before, but then again, if they're out there, hopefully someone can inform us about them and (better yet) post a pic of them ...

Diesel Donna

LUVMYCS said:
Donna- What do the Lucas covers look like? Can you provide a picture?
Thanks!

Amy, Mustanger is correct...that is what my covers look like and I have never heard of any vinyl ones either...I just had some made because I wanted something/anything to cover my fogs.

case12

Hi - There are several types of Lucas light covers. The black hard vinyl ones with the round eye are period correct for 68. The black hard vinyl ones with square eye are similar, but I believe came just a bit later. The GT/CS and Shelby's did not come with these covers - mine (round eye) are from England where they were used. So, there is no "right" answer for covering the Lucas lights. I just chose the period correct ones from England. There are several threads on this site from the past on this topic. Here is one of them: http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328&highlight=lucas+cover
Casey

Mustanger

Mustanger said:
... I haven't seen Lucas vinyl covers before, but then again, if they're out there, hopefully someone can inform us about them and (better yet) post a pic of them ...

Here's a Lucas soft cover, but it's round:

http://www.autochron.co.uk/lights.shtml

We can consider replicating this (if legal, or with permission) but in square ...

Mustanger

Mustanger said:
... and another example:

http://triple-c.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=108451&InfoID=2441&ShowLarge=True

... the rep at this company said she would check if her supplier would be willing to make them in square for our application ... need to check back with them next week ...

... Meanwhile, back at the ranch ... Well, I spoke directly to the supplier, and if someone were to get 1 pair of covers for the Lucas lights, w/ the existing silkscreen large print LUCAS lettering and lion, it's about $50 (if he re-tools for a smaller print, the $50 becomes $75). If he gets an order for 3 or 4 pairs (w/ re-tooled smaller lettering and lion), the $75 goes down to $50 (I didn't ask about greater quantity pricing, or qty pricing w/ larger letter and lion).

He also mentioned he has Lucas light parts, and NOS covers sq eye ($150) and good, used covers sq and rd eye ($100) also.

And, he said that he can make covers for Marchal lights too (in fact, he may already stock them) ...