• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Auto Trailer

case12

I am thinking about buying my own auto trailer. I am tired of renting one for shows (I missed have my CS at the Indy show because I got to the rental place the day of leaving and they only had a "bobcat" trailer waiting for me - and everything else was rented).

My Highlander can only tow 3500 pounds. The CS is about 2500. Are there trailers out there that you all may have, or heard about, that are very light? Maybe aluminum trailers?

I am just now starting my search. What trailers to do you suggest? Casey

68gt390

Casey;
I don't have a trailer but, have heard that Featherlite is a pretty good brand to deal with.

Don

miller511

Casey,

I started looking into this also. I have the big 'ol 3/4 ton turbo dielsel to tow it. It's just been a funding issue (isn't everything?)

The FeatherLite is the way to go. A friend of mine here at work has an enclosed one for hauling cars. He has a car hauling business on the side where he takes people's show cars to distant shows while the owner flies there and meets him... A little extravagant for me, but whatever. Also, he picks up ebay and such purchased cars and delivers them for folks.

My personal opinion (having done a fair amount of towing) is to not use a light weight vehicle for towing...even though it may have a hitch.

Let me know if you want my friend's name, etc.

-Jeff

CougarCJ

Might be risky

I second the need to have a rig big enough to handle the weight of a trailer with a car.
The Toyota Highlander is based on the Camry. Kind of light duty, maybe more suited to pulling a jet ski trailer. No offense.:wink:

I have a Carson trailer, 18 foot, all steel with diamond plate, tandem axle, and dove tail rear. Weighs about 3000 lbs empty. Very heavy duty trailer, that can take some abuse. I have stripped and dismantled over 20 cars on that trailer. My only change would be to have dual axle brakes. This trailer has served me very well since 1999. I estimate that it has over 20,000 miles. On the second set of tires.

You need a vehicle with sufficient weight, length, braking ability, suspension capable of 750 lbs or more tongue weight, tires rated to carry the load too, and the power to pull it up a moderate hill.

I am surprised that your rental center will allow you to rent a car hauling trailer with a Highlander. Locally in SoCal, most U-haul type place will not even allow you to rent a two wheel tow dolly even if you have a Ford Explorer.

davidathans

I am thinking about buying my own auto trailer. I am tired of renting one for shows (I missed have my CS at the Indy show because I got to the rental place the day of leaving and they only had a "bobcat" trailer waiting for me - and everything else was rented).

My Highlander can only tow 3500 pounds. The CS is about 2500. Are there trailers out there that you all may have, or heard about, that are very light? Maybe aluminum trailers?

your cs weighs only 2500lbs ??????? really???? how so???

i've shaved probably close to 100lbs off mine with the aluminum heads, alum intake manifold, titanium retainers, aluminum radiator, alum water pump, alum. trans pan...took out all the AC stuff

(my ford 9" probably cancels out all the weight reduction)

mine weighs 3250lbs.

good luck finding a trailer

franklinair

Check out the current issue of MUSTANG TIMES (MCA publication), page 26. Trailex Mfr of aluminum frame trailers.
Neil Hoppe

Russ

I own a Wells Cargo enclosed trailer and it is a wonderful trailer. It is well built, has four wheel electric brakes and torshion bar suspension. It rides very smoothly and tows like a dream. My trailer is 18" long and weighs in at 2700 empty with a GVW of 7000 fully loaded. The trailer has a "dove" tail at the rear of the trailer which lowers the entry point at the rear, making it very easy to load a Mustang. The dove tail is a feature I would recommend when looking for a trailer. It also has an aluminum ramp off the door so driving into the trailer is quite easy. This trailer cost $6000 when new in 2000, and I think it was a great buy. By the way, I carry Mustangs, Model T's tractors and anything else in this trailer. Hope this helps,

Russ

OP
OP
case12

case12

I second the need to have a rig big enough to handle the weight of a trailer with a car.
The Toyota Highlander is based on the Camry. Kind of light duty, maybe more suited to pulling a jet ski trailer. No offense.:wink:

I am surprised that your rental center will allow you to rent a car hauling trailer with a Highlander. Locally in SoCal, most U-haul type place will not even allow you to rent a two wheel tow dolly even if you have a Ford Explorer.

You are right, the U-Haul center would not let me rent the car hauler - it alone is 2000lbs.

As for the Highlander not being able to tow a car..... Dang.....you mean I have to now go to my wife to justify buying a trailer AND a new truck? Casey

OP
OP
case12

case12

your cs weighs only 2500lbs ??????? really???? how so???

mine weighs 3250lbs.

good luck finding a trailer

David - I just did a quick internet search to find the 68 range from 2600lbs to 3300lbs. I didnt pull my manuals for the specific number, and I have not had it weighed. I was just trying to get some rounded off numbers to see if I could pull trailer. Casey

CougarCJ

As for the Highlander not being able to tow a car..... Dang.....you mean I have to now go to my wife to justify buying a trailer AND a new truck? Casey

See there.......people really do win on MTV!:thumb:

davidathans

David - I just did a quick internet search to find the 68 range from 2600lbs to 3300lbs. I didnt pull my manuals for the specific number, and I have not had it weighed. I was just trying to get some rounded off numbers to see if I could pull trailer. Casey

oh ok haha i was just really jealous..because if my CS weighed 2500lbs. i'd be running in the 11s

66hcs-conv

Hi Gang,

I just went down the trailer road a few months ago. I looked at many different brands. I bought a Haulmark trailer. They are not the best, not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but for our needs (towing a car 2 - 3 times a year, it works just great. I bought a 22 foot and it has plenty of room for our 66 Mustang. I probably could have used a 20 foot w/out any problem. I did get the 5,500 axles, in case I need to haul any thing more than the Mustang.

Towing vehicle: We had a '04 Toyota Tundra Pickup. I loaded the Mustang and drove down I-25 and ANYTHING comming by me would move the trailer & truck around, to the point of almost causing an accident. The trailer was driving the truck. While the truck had the power it did not have the suspension or tires (they need to be AT LEAST load range "D") to haul the trailer. we ended up getting a GMC 2500, but any Pickup rated at 3/4 ton probably would work. Just make sure the tries have the proper rating

Hope this helps, Dave

hicountrybob

Casey, you owe it to yourself to call TOMMY'S TRAILERS in Ada, Ok 1-800-889-7785 and have them send you their 20 page catalog for your buying consideration. I own a '98 Ford 150 Lariat 5.4 3-door PU which made it to the Dearborn 100th Show, the 40th Mustang Show in Nashville and last years Knott's Show, pulling a Tommy's 22 ft. open ALUMINUM trailer (w/ my 428 HC on board) and it pulled like a dream. Mine has a fiberglass air dam, car stops up forward, winch stand, recessed spare tire compartment, recessed swivel-D rings in the floor, 4-wheel electric brakes with breakaway box and battery, easy removable fenders, and 6ft. aluminum ramps stored in a lockable compartment. I think it ran around $5800?? plus shipping. Check it out and let us know what's currant with them on one so equipped as ours or whatever. Good luck! HC Bob Teets here.