• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'68 GT/CS ??? on eBay

JohnnyQuest515

Yeah lets start a thread what's missing:

1. Hood pins
2. Front Grille
3. Fog lights
4. Rear fiberglass lid
5. Scoops
6. Stripes
7. Part of the interior
8. Radiator

But heck, it has a chrome air cleaner lid!

Randy

CougarCJ

The metal tail light covers inside the trunk look correct.
Lots of ferrous oxide on this one.

HappyHour

Alright which one of you presidents "challenged" this guy?? :cheesy:

All right people I have been challenged by the "president of a GT/CS club".

hookedtrout

I will add that his add appears to me to be well represented as he has stated. I read it when this post was first put up and my thought was it was pretty straight forward with lot's of pictures.

I think we all continually encourage people to make cars into what they want which is what he is doing. Sad to see a CS tore apart from a CS loving person but someone not interested in CS's should have the freedom to tear one apart if they own it and so desire, be nice to know so we could offer an alternative and rescue it first but not something we can control.

I'll add that we do have a ton of CS knowledge here, I'm not one of the real detail oriented members but we have them and you guys do know your stuff and detailing or critiquing out a car that is for sale is a good thing but I think we could do it in a professional manner that would certainly better represent who we are if indeed we want to be the authority on CS and HCS knowledge.

Just my thoughts, don't beat me up.

Cory

CougarCJ

I am not doubting that it was a CS.

I say "was".
It was born a Mustang coupe, factory converted to a GT/CS, and, now has been unconverted. Full circle.

Anything put out for sale on a web site is going to be critiqued by all related forums. It is a fact of life and happens on every single forum that I am a member.

I am against the 'don't ask, don't tell', politically correctness of our times.

Bauble_gal, I wish you luck with your auction.
To answer both of your questions, doubtful to both.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The "big bird" sent James a note and an invitation to join us to discuss his car. Seeing as his auction is basically sending people here it may be in his best interest to accept the invitation.

Is there some GT/CS club you're all hiding from me?!!! I'm not sure who the "president" of this super-secret (nonexistent] club is but I have a pretty strong educated guess.

Coug, I agree with you that the car is most likely a true GT/CS. The taillight covers are a strong indication of that, but I don't remember seeing those pictures in the auction when it was first listed. I think they were added later.

My "scary" comment concerned all the front-end stuff and the lack of any difficult-to-fake GT/CS clues. How much of the front clip has been changed and why, and without the taillight panel photos there was no strong evidence that the car was a GT/CS.

This car is just like any other in that anyone interested in it just needs to check it out or have one of us do so. It may be a perfectly good car that is just missing a few parts and the rust may be isolated to the trunk seams. Or it may not. Who knows for sure? All I know is that it made me wonder when I first saw the auction.

Last edited:

hookedtrout

I agree in that we should critique every CS that goes up for sale, however we should do so with some dignity and respect the fact that the seller may not know anything about the car, if we approach it as trying to help not only the consumer but the seller as well we will gain a lot of respect as the authority on CS's and HCS's. If we jump in and ridicule someone's car they instantly take the defensive, rightfully so regardless of what they know or don't know. If we critique it respectfully those trying to pass off something that they know is not true will expose themselves, we will help but they will expose themselves.

I honestly believe we can have a huge impact on the selling of a CS, in fact I know that we have in the past, both positive and some negative. I think Rob said it best recently and I don't have his exact words but we should approach every inconsistency with an unknown outcome, anything is possible and we have already identified that they did some pretty strange things in making these cars. We should point out those inconsistencies in a positive way and let both the consumer and seller make their own mind up and try and get to the bottom of them so we learn along the way as well.

Again just my opinion. Thanks for listening, Cory

I am not doubting that it was a CS.

I say "was".
It was born a Mustang coupe, factory converted to a GT/CS, and, now has been unconverted. Full circle.

Anything put out for sale on a web site is going to be critiqued by all related forums. It is a fact of life and happens on every single forum that I am a member.

I am against the 'don't ask, don't tell', politically correctness of our times.

Bauble_gal, I wish you luck with your auction.
To answer both of your questions, doubtful to both.

franklinair

I have long been a proponent of positive criticism. We have opportunities to help people, and encourage the preservation of these cars.
This particular car MAY be a viable candidate for resurrection to it's original status, but a lot of variables come into play: Marti verification (the photos in the ad do not show the VIN), condition of frame, floorpans, torque boxes, etc., obviously a complete cosmetic makeover is in order (inside & outside), not to mention engine & transmission. But do-able if the basic structures are OK. A lot of $ and labor would be necessary. The poor thing looks like it was "rode hard and put up wet".
If circumstances were right, and if the car IS redeemable, and if it could be bought low enough to allow the required expenditures, it'd be a worthwhile project. My 2 cents worth.

Neil

PS:
WHO is the president of a GT/CS club???

wally05

Hey guys, I saw the ad on ebay and noticed he was freaking about your comments. I'm glad you guys went after him b/c it does not show the vin in the marti. I'm sick of getting screwed on cars and something that much money needs to be gone through and listed thoroughly. Tell him to suck it and deal... people don't have the money to waste on a "fake" Gt/cs if it isn't real. Keep it up!

CougarCJ

I agree in that we should critique every CS that goes up for sale, however we should do so with some dignity and respect the fact that the seller may not know anything about the car, if we approach it as trying to help not only the consumer but the seller as well we will gain a lot of respect as the authority on CS's and HCS's. If we jump in and ridicule someone's car they instantly take the defensive, rightfully so regardless of what they know or don't know. If we critique it respectfully those trying to pass off something that they know is not true will expose themselves, we will help but they will expose themselves.

I honestly believe we can have a huge impact on the selling of a CS, in fact I know that we have in the past, both positive and some negative. I think Rob said it best recently and I don't have his exact words but we should approach every inconsistency with an unknown outcome, anything is possible and we have already identified that they did some pretty strange things in making these cars. We should point out those inconsistencies in a positive way and let both the consumer and seller make their own mind up and try and get to the bottom of them so we learn along the way as well.

Again just my opinion. Thanks for listening, Cory

Cory, even hinting that the lack of hood locks and Mustang GT fog lights, may, or could be possible, perpetuates the inaccuracies of the cars. Physical proof, beyond a shadow of a doubt is needed. Documents or verified accounts of a car from new (in 1968), Eminger report with listed 'delete for credit' options would show proof.

Sites like this with enthusiastic owners, and those that are observant around unmolested and unrestored cars, eventually solve all of the intricacies of a given car. Collectively all of our shared knowledge and experience will help solve all of the mysteries surrounding these cars.

Indicating that anything is possible would validate inaccurately restored GT/CS's.

Midnight Special

...Just had nice phone conversation w/ James, the seller of this car. What's certain is that he is not trying to mislead anyone and is keenly aware of the differences we point out here. Nonetheless, the car is what it is, aquired by him (as is) to salvage the AO Smith parts for a Shelby convertible project. I told him I will try to go by in the next few days with a C-code to show the differences and to have a closer look. Until then, one can only speculate why the dfferent grille, foglights, hood and absence of side reflectors at this point...