• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Anyone have a close up picture of a lower dash pad?

68gt390

Not really sure what your referencing but, if your talking about what Ford called a "knee Pad" which ran from the edge of the instrument cluster through the middle of the dash to the passenger side, those were discountinued prior to April 68 along with what they called the pillar post pads as a cost saving item just after the 67 strike. These items were not on the GT/CS. My 68 GT Coupe does have those particular pads because of it's build date (Nov 67). Hope this helps.

There is a post on page 12 titled "Pillar Pads" in which this is explained.

Don :)

case12

This question brings up a question on my CS that has always had me wondering. My CS was built Feb 21, and it has the knee pad we are discussing, and it looks every bit original - but it does NOT have the pillar pads (which is consistent with what I have read and talked to Bob Teets about - around this time they stopped putting the pillar pads in to save costs). So, I always wondered if the knee pad was original or not. My guess is that the knee pad is original, and the pillar pads were left off (there are no holes for them)? ... as Paul said in a past post: "They just kept putting on those pads at the factory until they ran out of them--then no more." I am interested in others thoughts/experience.

Casey

PFSlim

Casey

Our build date is June 18, 1968. It did not have the pillar pads (at least no holes where there). However, we decided to add ours because we like the finished look. Therfore, we drilled the holes. I have assumed that because of our build date, they "ran out".

As for the knee pad, we did not like that look and there were no holes there for the knee pad. In my opinion, the dash looks cleaner without the knee pad.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Paul

P

PNewitt

If your GT/CS (or any other '68 Mustang) of that period did NOT have a pillar pad--then you don't need to add one-- from an authenticity standpoint.

Sometimes people like to add every item that "could" be on the car, even if it was eliminated in production. So--be careful if you show your car that it doesn't have all this extra stuff on it, if documentation says otherwise.

Front and Rear bumper guards and the pillar pads and knee pads were "phased out" one by one as they ran out of those parts at the factory in the spring of '68. These parts were eliminated as part of a program to pay the workers more money--from a Nov. 1967 strike settlement.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

hmm I kinda like the knee pad but that car is making me sick to my stomach.

just finished power washing the underside of the rear of my CS. Nice to see the red primer under there.

Mosesatm

.....but that car is making me sick to my stomach.

I don't know I can just see your car with orange flames!! ;D

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1505;start=0#msg9051 date=1111962910]
.....but that car is making me sick to my stomach.

I don't know I can just see your car with orange flames!! ;D
[/quote]

the Mercedes or CS? ;)

case12

Moses got it...that is what my knee pad looks like too. My car is in the shop or I would take a picture and send it to you.

Paul - from what I gather from your post, a 68 could have a knee pad and not pillar pads, as it was just a parts supply issue?

Casey