• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Is the drivetrain what makes the GT/CS and HCS collectible and desirable?

classicsguy

In the case of the 1966-67 HCS could be the bodystyle since they were available in convertible and fastbacks besides the coupe,and in the case of 1968 GT/CS and HCS could it be the drivetrain that makes it collectible or more desirable? Or maybe its the limited production numbers?

We all know that a BIG block HCS or GT/CS is extremely desirable and hard to find and also a 4 speed car.

In the 1966-67 HCS a fastback and convertible will be highly sought after so what do you guys/gals think about the engine /tranny combo having an impact on collectibilty and desirability?

johnsgottwo

What makes a GT/CS a GT/CS?

Well, I expect you'll get a lot of input on this one. I can only address the CS part of your question. The key is to recognize what a '68 GT/CS is. Technically, unlike Shelbys, which were separate models with (initially at least) unique engines and a specific set of features, the GT/CS was an appearance option package that could be ordered with or without any other available options. The limited availability, significant "character" impact of the package, and the Shelby bloodline make the CS package a highly desirable (and in my un-biased opinion by far the coolest) option. Once you get your hands on the GT/CS, your car's value is impacted by the other options just like any Mustang. So to answer the questions, A GT/CS is more desirable than other '68 Mustangs because of the CS option package. One CS is more desirable than another based on the usual things like engine, tranny, luxury/convenience options, and the like. Clearly a GT/CS with, say, a 428CJ motor, 4-speed top loader, short rear end gearing and disc brakes would be at the top of the food chain, especially since the majority of GT/CS buyers in '68 got base 289's and 3-speed or auto tranny's.

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Well, I expect you'll get a lot of input on this one. I can only address the CS part of your question. The key is to recognize what a '68 GT/CS is. Technically, unlike Shelbys, which were separate models with (initially at least) unique engines and a specific set of features, the GT/CS was an appearance option package that could be ordered with or without any other available options. The limited availability, significant "character" impact of the package, and the Shelby bloodline make the CS package a highly desirable (and in my un-biased opinion by far the coolest) option. Once you get your hands on the GT/CS, your car's value is impacted by the other options just like any Mustang. So to answer the questions, A GT/CS is more desirable than other '68 Mustangs because of the CS option package. One CS is more desirable than another based on the usual things like engine, tranny, luxury/convenience options, and the like. Clearly a GT/CS with, say, a 428CJ motor, 4-speed top loader, short rear end gearing and disc brakes would be at the top of the food chain, especially since the majority of GT/CS buyers in '68 got base 289's and 3-speed or auto tranny's.

Thanks John very well put...I am sure that everyone will agree with you...thanks for the input!!!

Midnight Special

...Certainly can't add much to what John said, other than (nowadays) proof of originality of those options and quality of restoration or preservation...

Last edited: