• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Car Show Pics

donsonn

I finally had a chance last weekend to enter my first car show. It was an annual Ford show put on by local dealer, about 150 cars, but only 1 California Special. I was surprised to find how many people still are unaware Ford ever made a Cal Spec. Needless to say I spent a portion of the day trying to convince (a few) people I didn't invent the car myself. Even had 1 guy tell me he used to have the exact same car, but his was a 1969!!!

Attachments

• Picture_084.jpg
    Picture_084.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 30

WLM

That sure is a good looking car! I really like that candyapple red ! The oval air cleaner looks good, a nice Shelby touch, I am thinking of adding that to my CS.

Bill

case12

Great car! Grab one of those original GT/CS dealer posters found frequently on eBay. I put one in a $9 frame and lean it against my car and it provides full proof of the car. At last weekend's show I even saw a dad read the poster to his 7-8 year old son and then remark that this must be a rare car. Cool! Casey

390cs68rcode

[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1926;start=0#msg12790 date=1122231060]
Great car! Grab one of those original GT/CS dealer posters found frequently on eBay. I put one in a $9 frame and lean it against my car and it provides full proof of the car. At last weekend's show I even saw a dad read the poster to his 7-8 year old son and then remark that this must be a rare car. Cool! Casey
[/quote]

I don't leave home without mine when going to shows

OP
OP
D

donsonn

I do have most (maybe all) of the posters and ads that were produced at the time the car was originally sold. Just have not had the time to put them into some type of display. Probably should do that soon, it would save me alot of questions, but then again, I dont mind talking to those interested in the car. Lots of people remember when they firtst came out back in 68, but have not seen one again in a long time. I find it interesting, seeing as how the car is older than I am.

The engine is a 302 with an original Cobra dress up kit, (I kept all the original stuff), along with Cobra/Hi-Po intake and exaust manifolds. I did not want to stray to for from original, but I felt if it was a dealer option, why not. The car is also on page 10 of the gallery. Thanks guys.

Don.

case12

Here is how I decided to do the poster. It draws people to the car to start the discussions. I added at the bottom (printed on my computer in large font) a piece of paper under the glass that says, "GT/California Special. Developed by Shelby, Built by FORD. One of 3867 made." That pretty welll explains it, and gets the conversations going.

Beautiful car - well done. Casey

Attachments

• poster.jpg
    poster.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 35

BroadwayBlue

Great looking car!!! 8)

I did the same as Casey. Put the dealer brochure in a frame with my Marti Report and a sheet describing the car and lean it against the bumper. Definitely draws attention and starts the conversation going. Last night after reading up on the car a Dad was pointing out the script, Shelby rear deck, etc to his son ... got talking to the guy for awhile found out he's from the area and is in the process of restoring an old Mustang himself.

P

PNewitt

I still fail to understand how and why people--including some "Mustang Experts"-- still don't know about the GT/CS, and even claim that theirs was a '67 or '69.

Two books, a website, and articles in the magazines here and there; and still it's unknown to the public. Go figure.

Then at some car shows, I still feel there is some bias from judging, because it's so unique. It's like a jealously: "well! what do they think THEY have?".

Owners see this a lot--and I want to once again say how appreciative I am for all of you that (almost daily) promote the GT/CS, and explain the facts, history and heritage to others.

Paul N.
p.s. that is one beautiful candyapple red CS! WOW!

BroadwayBlue

I have to admit I was one of those Mustang people (I refrain from using expert) that didn't know that much about the California Special until I considered purchasing one.

It could be that being on the East Coast I didn't have as much exposure to them. I had "heard" of a California Special but didn't pay much attention. I've even went back now and looked at a few Mustang books and price guides I've owned for a few years and now see the Cal Spec in there. I obviously read it before but it didn't stay in the front of my memory.

I get a lot of people at shows amazed, suprised, saying "so this is a really rare car?", etc ...

On the other hand there are people that are aware.

The other night I got to meet one of my neighbors for the first time (we're in a new development). He had mentioned he saw my car an "Old Mustang" (not my 96 ;) )
I recall seeing one at his house a black 66 coupe I thought. He said it was his father-in-law's and he was storing it there for awhile.

Tonight I come home and there are people standing in my driveway. It was my neighbor and his father-in-law.
They had come over to knock on the door. When my neighbor told him I had a California Special he came right over and asked if he could see it. I was more than happy to show him the car. He knew a lot about them.
He said he had a Boss (I forget the year) that someone wanted to trade him a California Special for a few years ago. He wanted to do it but was hesistant because the vin plate was missing from the dash.

So, long story short, there are many people that don't know much about them and only a few that really truly know the story behind them. I was one of those people until a few months ago. But now thanks to the info in your books and this site I know more than I ever thought I would. And I thought I knew a lot about Mustangs. I'm spreading the word here in the NY area as is everyone else here in their "hometowns". OK enough rambling ... maybe it's regional ... I can't speak for reaction on the West Coast but here in the East there are definitley less people that know about them.
I can tell right away at a cruise when someone knows about them and doesn't.

Do people see differences in other parts of the country?

I don't know that I answered your question or even trying to but just some of my observations after 2 months of ownership.
Rich

PFSlim

In the midwest (MO, KS, NE, IA, etc) there are many people who know mustang but don't know the California Special. At many of the car show's I do, some folks come up and say "I have heard of them but have never saw one". Then there are others who say they have never heard of the Cal Spec. And lastly, you get some who say that the car has been tampered with because there is no way a mustang is suppose to have the cougar tail lights.

If you look at Paul's book and only a handful of cars were shipped to the KC DSO, I have always felt this is the reason why.

I must admit, it draws attention!!!

Paul

BroadwayBlue

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1926;start=0#msg13029 date=1122903582]
And lastly, you get some who say that the car has been tampered with because there is no way a mustang is suppose to have the cougar tail lights.

[/quote]

That's funny!!! ;D ;D
That's like the guy that kept looking at my car and leaning back almost falling over saying "Well ... it's not a Shelby ... what is it?"

Sarge

All,

I live in Milpitas, CA, which is where the car was made, and I continually run into people that worked on the assembly line. They always tell me what a "pain in the as." it was when a CS came down the line. So many differenced, fog lamp options, detail on the fittings of the fiberglass, etc. It is a pleasure to drive a car that was so different from the "factory norm" at that time... They all have a story to tell about the CS.

Robert

case12

It would be cool for you to get their names and info, and capture some of the stories for Paul's book? Casey