• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Grille Paint, Research Question

P

PNewitt

On one of my GT/CS production blueprints, I have located the color specs for the grille. It's in the section that specs the details for that part. I thought that hopefully, someone may have the old (circa 1968) Ford paint codes that may (directly?) translate to a current automotive paint mfgr. code, like DuPont, etc.

It says on the blueprint (in exact words):

Note:
Same as Grille Assembly-Radiator, C7ZB-8200-B Except as shown.

Paint: Color - 1988-H Per. Spec (Prime)
ESB-M2P69-A
Spec. (Paint) ESB-M2J1112-A

This would be great if we could nail this down.

Thanks to all who who wish to research this for me (and for everyone else).

Paul Newitt.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hey Jeff!

Thanks. That's probably the best we're going to get. I picked "DDL32930" from a old Ditzler book, back in 1988. It's the spec for the grille color of a 1970 LTD. I had a piece of an original GT/CS grille with me, at this old, dusty gold mine of an automotive paint store. I literally blew off the dust from the book that had those paint samples <cough, cough!>

I accounted for fading, age and other factors when choosing that color.

It seems that today, they rely mostly on color matching, than codes, due to the new technology. In fact, even if you have the right number, they'll want to match your original paint first. It's not the exact science for restorers as you might think. However, there are some great shops for paint, and some real experts out there, too. I'm lucky enough to have found one for the exterior/interior/engine bay paint codes and advice for the book.

I just thought that "someone" might have some old paperwork and color charts, etc. from 1967-68, with those spec numbers on it. I knew it was a longshot, but I'm determined to get every last-dog-detail!!

thanks!
Paul.

CobraMan

correct paint

I forked over the $27 for the special mix of DL32903 paint plus $9.00 for shipping. The paint is awesome! My grill and trim look absolutely great and near brand new. This really finished off my front end. Thanks for all the information on this special code.

franklinair

franklinair

The Ditzler # may well be the answer.
I checked with a custom paint supplier, and the Ford #'s won't cross reference -too old, not listed. I have a couple other sources, and I'll check them out as well. It would be good if the Ditzler DL 32903 proves to be a perfect match, and the previous comments of success with the Ditzler color is probably the (only) way to go.