• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Question about long term storage

somethingspecial

My Concours GT/CS lives in an enclosed car trailer without any climate control. Due to this, it can be subject to moisture from cold weather. I don't want to put any heat source in the trailer to avoid any explosion if there was to be a fuel leak. I was thinking about putting a box with sawdust/horse bedding in the trailer, one in front and one in back to draw any moisture away from the car. I have been told years ago this helps with engines if on a stand when you put sawdust in the oilpan to draw moisture down. Any thoughts on this and/or any better ideas. I keep a quality car cover on the car at all times and this has kept the car in perfect condition. Just looking for more protection. Thanks Mike

franklinair

What about a dehumidifier? I use one in my basement with the condensate drain line routed to the outside. That, in conjunction with a small fan to circulate the air, works fine.

Neil

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

What about a dehumidifier? I use one in my basement with the condensate drain line routed to the outside. That, in conjunction with a small fan to circulate the air, works fine.

Neil

Neil, Where would I find one of these dehumidifiers and are they safe if there was to be a fuel leak? Mike

franklinair

Do you have a Lowes or Home Depot in CA? That's where I got mine. ($200+/-) And a small cheapo fan just to move the air around. You can even connect the dehumidifier to a timer to regulate the time that it runs. I leave the fan on continuously to circulate the air, and run the dehumidifier 12 hours a day to minimize electrical cost.
Since the trailer is not air tight,fuel leakage/fumes would not be a big concern to me, as the trailer 'breaths' anyway. (And concourse cars are not allowed to have any leaks!)

Neil

JohnnyQuest515

Silica gel would be one way to absorb any moisture but you would have to clean them occasionaly. I have a gun safe and most use a golden rod which heats the air to remove moisture. Another way that would be fairly safe would be to have a light bulb in there. Mount it securely and high enough in case there was a small fuel leak and the heat from the bulb will heat the air thus take care of any moisture.

Good luck.

Randy

Russ

Mike,
I read with interest of the storage of your GT/CS in your trailer. I have stored my cars in an enclosed trailer in Flagstaff, and wanted to share one experience. Since the trailer is dark, critters (especially field mice) like to camp out, eat, defecate, etc. in the trailer. Since removing these critters permanently from my trailer is nearly impossible, I now keep all my cars in the garage or barn. When I read about the possibility of you using straw in your trailer, I wanted to relay this experience. I had another issue with critters and bird seed being stored in the garage (!), but that's another story!!!! Just don't store any critter food where you store your prized automobiles!
Hope this helps, Russ

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

I've had the car in the trailer for two years now and have had no problems with critters. The trailer is nearly air tight with good seals around all the doors. No holes in floors where critters can get in. Neil, don't get me wrong, No leaks but you remember what happened in L.A. or should we say "WATTS". That was from a failed fuel line clamp. Thanks for all the advise folks. Great ideas. Keep them coming. Mike

hcsstang

For five years I have put my car in a plastic bag and zip it shut. When you purchase the bag you get omnidry to absorbe the moisture. But after five years it's starting to show some ware. One thing about it when you take it out it's clean. WWW.carbag.com
After you use it you heat the omnidry to reactivate.

PonyGal

Mike,

I've also heard that if you slit a bag or two of charcoal (not the self lighting kind!) and place it in the trailer with the car, it absorbs the moisture really well. It also absorbs any odors...

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

For five years I have put my car in a plastic bag and zip it shut. When you purchase the bag you get omnidry to absorbe the moisture. But after five years it's starting to show some ware. One thing about it when you take it out it's clean. WWW.carbag.com
After you use it you heat the omnidry to reactivate.

Great Idea, I looked up their website and believe this is the way to go. The car sits dorment from September to March and with a bag it not only protects from rust, but also dust and critters. At $239.00 it seem this is the way I am going. Thanks again for the great ideas. Mike

hookedtrout

One additional comment, make sure you have the trailer secured from easy theft, be a shame to do so much to protect the car from the elements and have someone hook up and steal it.

In a Jeep forum I'm in we had a guy with a high dollar rock crawler stored in an enclosed trailer, it was stolen in day light while he was home right in front of his house in a large housing area in Phoenix. They made a trip toward Mexico and lucky for him they caught them before they made it across the border.

Be safe.

Cory