• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Transport fustratations

hatchdog

Hi all,

Sitting here in Eastern Washington State thinking about the car I purchased from Neil two weeks ago which is still sitting in Neil's hanger. I contracted with Car Transport Express on May 15th to haul the car and their estimated pick up dates were 5/22 - 5/24. I spoke with the salesman last Friday and he told me the holiday created some delays. Haven't heard a word and just tried to call him, waiting now for a return call.

In addition to my ranting due to frustration, this thread is also to ask other members about their experiences with car transport services. In addition to the over one week delay in picking up the car transport time is 7-10 days. So I'm pessimistically looking at up to a month from the contract date to get the car home. Is this typical for cross country transport?

Funny, when I originally flew out to NC to meet with Neil I considered driving back and hauling the car home myself. I wasn't too excited about six 12 hour days of driving so decided to fly. Plus the fuel, room and food costs were more than the transport costs which helped with my decision. Now however, I wished I had done exactly that as the trip would be behind me and the car would be in my garage!!!!!

Once again I'm thinking about driving to NC and picking up the car myself. Now of course I would have to add the earlier costs of airline tickets, room and rental car which I have already paid!:rolleyes:

Thanks for listening, just needed to try to relieve some frustrations.

Here's a link to the original conversation about my purchase of Neil's car.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12848

Last edited:

mbsf1970

Was just talking to Neil about his car a few minutes ago. I asked where the car was headed...he told me Washington. I joked about having the buyer fly me out to drive it back (not trailer) but actually drive the green car back.....lmk if you want to explore that option.
Stephen

mbsf1970

I experienced the same sort of situation---almost exactly in fact. I bought a car that Neil stored for me until it could be shipped to Montana after which I would then get it across border....
Seeing as I bought it in early October and didn't plan on driving it until the following spring, I was in no rush. I ended up getting it Nov 28 or so.
The trouble is that Washington State is not an easy drive from NC. You have to find a load of cars for a single hauler to take across east/west. Then you have to hope that carrier can link car up with a North/south route to get it to you. I understand the difficulty of waiting to assemble a "load" and I understand the anxiety of the shippee who wants car yesterday....
Sadly the only advice I can offer is that "good things come to those who wait" and your new car IS a good thing!
Stephen

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Stephen,

Thanks for the comforting words, it helps.:smile: Exactly two weeks ago almost to the hour I was standing in Neil's hanger with the keys in my hand. I too was tempted to just hop in the car and head west. But then Neil would have had to get my rental back to Greenville SC:rofl:. Thanks for your offer to drive the car to it's new home but if push comes to shove I will drive back there and haul it home in a trailer. You made a good point with the south to north connection, didn't consider that.

Not only does the squeaky wheel get the grease but also the new car owner whining sometimes gets the response. Shortly after typing my above whine the dispatcher from the transport company called me and told me the driver was expected to pick the car up yesterday afternoon or today. No call from the driver yet but my fingers are crossed.

CuervoSpecial

Stephen,

Thanks for the comforting words, it helps.:smile: Exactly two weeks ago almost to the hour I was standing in Neil's hanger with the keys in my hand. I too was tempted to just hop in the car and head west. But then Neil would have had to get my rental back to Greenville SC:rofl:. Thanks for your offer to drive the car to it's new home but if push comes to shove I will drive back there and haul it home in a trailer. You made a good point with the south to north connection, didn't consider that.

Not only does the squeaky wheel get the grease but also the new car owner whining sometimes gets the response. Shortly after typing my above whine the dispatcher from the transport company called me and told me the driver was expected to pick the car up yesterday afternoon or today. No call from the driver yet but my fingers are crossed.

Hopefully you are not actually in Spokane. (Granted I have not been there for a number of years) only stayed in town a few times and had my car broke into twice.

In any case it appears there are a number of Cali Specs in Washington. Would be cool to be cruise meet up in a fairly central location :)

TexAg

Funny, I had the same problem. Apparently Neil's place is in the Bermuda triangle of car transportation. It took me weeks to find a company that would go get it. Most of the transport companies are looking for quick pick ups alone major routes. I found this especially true of all of the low cost internet options. You could always get someone to "hot shot" it for you, but it costs twice as much since they are only getting one car.

Good luck!

franklinair

Strange.
I'm only a couple hours drive north of Atlanta, I-85 north/south interstate, or 30 minutes from I-40, main east/west interstate to the north of me
I'm afraid these transport companies concentrate on filling their trailers more than customer satisfaction.

Neil

TexAg

That's ok Neil. It's like Christmas... the anticipation is what makes it special...:wink:

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Well, here it is Sunday morning and the Thursday/Friday pick-up didn't happen. I called the customer service guy Friday at 4:00 pm eastern who told me he would look into it and call me back in 15 minutes. Never happened, of course. Yesterday the 10 day window for dispatch ended so I can by contract be refunded the $195.00 reserveration fee I have paid. (All that I am out of pocket thank goodness). I'm seriously thinking of buying an enclosed trailer and "hot-shotting" the car myself. Unfortunately I have a few commitments this week including this coming Saturday or I might be on the road now.

A question for all:

Would I be nuts to consider flying back to NC and driving the CS home rather than trailering it? I would have two or three nights in hotels where the car would be vulnerable to theft or vandalism. Also, this would put an immediate 2500 additional miles on it. The upside is no need to purchase an expensive trailer and it would cut the road time in half. What say you?

Or, another option would be to use an open trailer which I already own. I would save the cost of buying an enclosed trailer but still would have the overnight exposure in hotel parking lots. Plus the possiblility of damage from rocks and others debris along the highway. My trailer does not have the front "rock-shield" I see on other trailers hauling cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Hopefully you are not actually in Spokane. (Granted I have not been there for a number of years) only stayed in town a few times and had my car broke into twice.

In any case it appears there are a number of Cali Specs in Washington. Would be cool to be cruise meet up in a fairly central location :)

Cuervo,

I was born and raised in Spokane and lived in the city for 30+ years. I moved to the north suburbs in the early 90's and currently and have for the last 13 years live about 15 miles north in the Deer Park area. This is a rural area and is very safe and removed from the property crimes the city attracts.

I agree, it seems like there are many CS owners in Washington and there is a pretty active Mustang car club here in Spokane. When I get my car I plan to get active with this group and enjoy some new like minded friends. A CaliforniaSpecial.com get together in the Pacific Northwest would be awesome. Are you located in the Northwest?

franklinair

I'm sure its frustrating, but I would recommend patience. The car is stored safe & sound inside where no harm can come to it.
Just keep bugging the transporter for the pickup & delivery to you.
(My Black CS has been in the paint shop 3 months, and I'm anxious to get it.)

Neil

CuervoSpecial

Cuervo,

I was born and raised in Spokane and lived in the city for 30+ years. I moved to the north suburbs in the early 90's and currently and have for the last 13 years live about 15 miles north in the Deer Park area. This is a rural area and is very safe and removed from the property crimes the city attracts.

I agree, it seems like there are many CS owners in Washington and there is a pretty active Mustang car club here in Spokane. When I get my car I plan to get active with this group and enjoy some new like minded friends. A CaliforniaSpecial.com get together in the Pacific Northwest would be awesome. Are you located in the Northwest?

Been to Deer Park a few times, a friend is the super for Nine mile school dist. I live in Tumwater ( Olympia Beer Brewery ). Depending on if I have ankle surgery I should be able to get my cali back on the road for a couple short cruises for the summer then when my wife deploys try to do as much as I can for next summer.

Mosesatm

Give me a few days to work on something. I may know someone crazy enough to go get it for you. Should you worry about the 'crazy' part? No.............and yes.

Oh, and Spokane it paradise compared to my 10 years in Houston!!!

rvrtrash

I was in the Mustang club in Spokane for a while. I dropped out. It seemed to me they were more interested in doing charity work than car cruises and such. I'm all for charity, but do that on my own and through church. I joined a car club to do car stuff. When they moved the meetings to Wandermere, which is an hour drive for me, I left.

Steve

TexAg

For what it's worth, I had my car transported on an open trailer with no problems..

If I had a trailer and truck, I'd go get it myself..

DeadStang

Whenever I buy a car and contract with one of the lower quotes, it always takes a long time for the car to get picked up. If it's in a safe place and your seller doesn't mind, patience Grasshopper. But when I want something enclosed and don't want to take any chances I pay for it -- you do get what you pay for in some circumstances. I had a dead/brakeless convertible thing shipped from Texas to Oregon (enclosed) and it was picked up almost before I had warned the seller they were coming. It cost me, but the car was well cared-for and delivered in a timely manner.

whodat

Get Roy from Shipping Wars to deliver it. The most you can expect besides your car is his attitude. I rented a uhaul car carrier and picked mine up in Dallas for the ride back to Hammond, La.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

66hcs-conv

We have had our '66 hauled twice. Both times we were charged $1.00 per mile coming and going.

And in my experience the trucking companies are the most independent, careless gang of people I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Their attitude is that they are doing you a favor hauling your car.

The first time the guy (on what should have been a two day run) disappeared for 3 days - couldn't get a hold of him, couldn't leave a message - nothing. :mad:

Never again.

Last edited:

franklinair

I heard from the shipper. Mike's CS will be picked up today. :smile:

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Fingers are crossed in Spokane. I have heard this message before but fortunatly Neil heard from the truck driver himself rather than the transport co. so I suspect this info is good!!!:grin: