• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Posting personal avitar

rvrtrash

OK, I know some of you have posted personal pictures for your avitar. How do I get the picture down to 19.5kb or 80x80 pixels?

Steve

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

I'd already tried that and it crops the picture. I tried MSN Paint and a basic version of Photoshop. I guess I'm just stuck because there's to much in the picture to reduce the pixel count. Oh well! Thanks anyway.
Steve

BroadwayBlue

If you're using Microsoft Windows XP it should have come with some type of Picture Manager software.
Open the picture in the software and then edit the picture.
Choose resize, there will be a number of options but you should be able to change the pixel size (height x width) without cropping it.
If you want to email it to me I'll do it for you.

Mosesatm

Steve, when you change the size are you chaning the canvas size or the photo size? It sounds like you might be resizing the canvas.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

There is a blurb in the help section that says anytime you reduce the size of the picture, either with pixels or inches, it starts removing the picture from the bottom right. I'll send it to you Rich and see what you can do with it.
Steve

68gt390

I've tried several ways of reducing the size of my photo's and usually wind up loosing clariety and sharpness. I finally gave up.

Don

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Can you post your full size pic here? Maybe some of us can take a shot at making it into an avatar.

BroadwayBlue

rvrtrash said:
There is a blurb in the help section that says anytime you reduce the size of the picture, either with pixels or inches, it starts removing the picture from the bottom right. I'll send it to you Rich and see what you can do with it.
Steve

I sent you my email address - you should be able to attach it now - send the pic I'll try or post here if you want as Jon suggested.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Rich, it's in your inbox. For everyone else, here it is. I was in a weird mood the other day and thought I needed something visual for my tag line.:grin:

Steve

Attachments

• CAZMKB3D.jpg
    CAZMKB3D.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 47

BroadwayBlue

Hi Steve,
I sent it back to your inbox.

Here it is again along with a screenshot of Microsoft Picture Manager.
This comes with Windows XP, if not this version something similar.

Recommendation - make a copy of the original picture and edit the copy.

1. Open the picture in the software
2. Select Edit Pictures from the toolbar
3. Select Resize from the right hand menu
4. Enter 80 x 80 in the height and width on the right hand menu.
5. The software will adjust the size of the 2nd number if needed. (example here it changed it from 80x80 to 80x60.
6. Save the picture with a new name so you don't overwrite the picture. (important if you didn't make a copy first)

Hopefully this works for you.
It might be tough to see all the cars since the avatars are small but if you need more help send me another.

Rich

Attachments

• MS Picture Manager.jpg
    MS Picture Manager.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 44
  • CAZMKB3D Avatar 80x60.jpg
    CAZMKB3D Avatar 80x60.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

Thanks Rich, and everyone else that helped. I had to convert it to jpeg from bitmap, but got it posted. I did a search of my hard drive and I don't have picture manager on it for some reason, even though I'm running XP. Oh well, with you guys to help me out from time to time, it's not critical. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Steve

BroadwayBlue

rvrtrash said:
Thanks Rich, and everyone else that helped. I had to convert it to jpeg from bitmap, but got it posted. I did a search of my hard drive and I don't have picture manager on it for some reason, even though I'm running XP. Oh well, with you guys to help me out from time to time, it's not critical. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Steve

Looks cool Steve! Nice collection by the way!

I wonder why you had to convert it from a bitmap? I posted it as a jpeg.
When you open a picture what program does it open in?
Maybe Picture Manager comes with Ms-Office. (I just double checked - it's actually called Microsoft Office Picture Manager - must come with Office - sorry) There are a number of free or inexpensive software packages out there that can do it as well. Often just dragging the corners to resize the picture tends to shrink and/or skew the results.

But if you (or anyone else) needs an avatar made feel free to send it to me - it takes 2 minutes.

OP
OP
rvrtrash

rvrtrash

BroadwayBlue said:
Looks cool Steve! Nice collection by the way!

Thanks. Left to right, 1968 California Special (in my gallery), 1969 XL (For sale, but I'm not trying real hard if you know what I mean), 1971 Boss 351, 1973 Mach 1 (Q-code 351 Cobra Jet, loaded), 1969 Fairlane, 1965 Sunbeam Tiger. I didn't set out to have so many cars, I just got some deals I couldn't pass up.
Steve

admin

Staff member
Administrator
You may be seeing an old cache of the page on your computer. Try adding the avatar back in again, then come back to one of your posts and click refresh while holding down the CTRL key. This will force your browser to display new info, not just go back to it's memory banks and pull out what was there 10 minutes ago.

If that still doesn't work email me the file you're trying to use.

frank s

Irfanview is to my mind the quickest and easiest way to resize (and view, and many other processes) just about any photo graphic.

http://www.irfanview.net/

Free, quick, and relatively simple to use, especially for basic operations.

Open an image, select Image-Resample/Resize, name your pixel dimensions, OK, Save As.

3627666620_c8eb78049d_s.jpg