• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Garage Walls

Mosesatm

This winter I'm working on the garage. Most of the wall insulation is installed and now I need to figure out a final wall finish.
Any ideas? I'm thinking of FRP up to the 4' level, then plywood above that.

TraveledGTCS

When I had my house built four years ago with my three car garage, I should have had it done that way. Now I'm trying to find the studs so I can mount shelves and other hanging items. Hindsight is not the way to go.

Bill

robert campbell

In hind site the level for shelves and stuff within reach should be wood. And I thought I had enough electrical outlets...... No I don't!!!

I did sheet rock that is just taped. Painted it bright white. Studs are easy to find, but as said above, pictures and such do not always like 16 inch centers.

Rob

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

What's the best way to finish plywood, just primer and paint? Is 3/8 sufficiently thick?

robert campbell

Arlie,
3/8 is pretty thin for mounting shelves that may have heavy stuff. I would go 1/2 at least on the height that shelves may attach to. Up high could be thinner and will hold any pictures or signs you may like.

I would spring for a plywood with a decent finish and then prime and paint bright white! But that is me. I friend of mine just did plywood in his new garage and left it with no paint. Not for me, but again to each his own. White makes it bright inside!

Rob

robert campbell

I would go with the brick...... Unless this is a loaded question! Plain white works for me!!

Rob