• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Beware! eBay Lucas lamps NOT correct!

StraightSix

This guy had these on eBay a week or two ago as well... don't know if this is another set or if it's the same set. Anyway, they are NOT correct for the GT/CS or HCS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2402474097&category=33709

To sum it up, I know because the lenses aren't ribbed and the covers are the later covers. Here is the letter I wrote him:

Sir,

I just wanted to inform you that these lamps are not correct for the GT/CS or HCS Mustangs. I believe that you have a set of '69 Lamps, but I'm not sure. I am sure that these are incorrect for the above-mentioned Mustangs, and probably the '68 Shelby as well. They used the same lamps as the GT/CS and HCS. I know the lamps are incorrect because the correct '68 lamps have a "ribbed" lens (on the interior) with the logo, whereas the lenses on your lamps are smooth apart from the logo. I also know that the covers you have with them are later than '68 because I have a pair of those covers myself. The original GT/CS cars and HCS cars were not sold with covers at all, so you had to go find your own. Many people ended up with the later covers like your lamps come with. The '68 covers have a single clear indicator dot in the middle with the word "Lucas" inside two rounded boxes and the words "quartz halogen" below that.

Here is a photo of the correct '68 GT/CS, HCS, and (probably) Shelby lamp:

http://www.californiaspecial.com/images/hcs-fog1.JPG

I am certain about this as far as the GT/CS and HCS is concerned. I'm sorry to break this news to you, but I don't want any of my fellow Mustangers disappointed. Of course, the lamps are probably correct for some other later models -- but I don't know which ones. I only know the '68 GT/CS and HCS. Anyway, thanks for listening. I would appreciate it if you removed the GT/CS and HCS applications from your item description.

Just a warning to you guys, lest you spend big money on incorrect (but nice) lamps!

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Winston,
you are correct they are not original...they are square eight "driving lights" not fog lights from 1969. And you are also correct about the covers, they did make covers for the fog lights on 68 Lucas lights but they were not offered with the Shelby's, GT/CS, or HCS, and they are the ones that have only the single round circle in the middle. Another difference when looking at the lights, is the wiring connection grommet, in the picture you can see it is a large gray piece of rubber. On the original 68 Lucas lights it is a small round black rubber grommet. These lights will work if you don't mind they are driving lights not fog.
Good eye Winston. ;)
Doug

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

The seller replied back to me and stated the same thing Doug just wrote -- they are driving lamps. He also said that he would change the listing to reflect the fact that the Mustangs should have the fog lenses. He doesn't know (and neither did I when I emailed him) that the grommets are also the wrong type for fog lamps, so his ad will say that the lenses are the only incorrect thing. I guess if someone wants to be sure, they will come here to check. To his credit, he was very nice about the whole thing.

I didn't realize that difference with the grommets, Doug. That means that I have one fog lamp housing and one driving lamp housing, both with the correct fog lamp lenses. Interesting. That means I need to find another fog lamp housing...

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Winston,
Here is a picture of what the early version of the Lucas light grommet should look like. Both the fog and driving lights for '68 had this type of grommet and both fog and driving lights after '68 had the large gray type. I hope this helps everyone. The picture is from the original lights on my car.
Doug

Attachments

• grommet.jpg
    grommet.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 30

68sunlitgold

And these are the correct covers, when I say correct I mean only in the date because as stated earlier, they where not issued with any Ford Mustang with Lucas lights.

Attachments

• light_covers.jpg
    light_covers.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Oh, okay I was confused about the grey grommet. Then I have a '68 housing and a post-'68 housing. Thanks for the pics, Doug! Is that your set of NOS covers or just a pic you found somewhere?

-Winston

68sunlitgold

Winston,
they are NOS and they are mine, I paid $30 for them, I thought not a bad price. :eek:
Doug

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Wow. How do you happen across such great finds?! ???

First your car, then the grille brackets for $15, these covers for $30, where does it end?

Please, share your secrets :)

-Winston

68sunlitgold

All I can say, I spend alot of time looking on the web and books! I usually just stumble on them. I found a guy on Vintage Mustang Forum last year that sold me his mint '89 GT/CS recognition guide for $30, he did not have it for sale but was selling other Shelby/CS parts so I just ask him if he had one and he said YES. Just lucky I guess. :D
Doug