• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Side scoop question

franklinair

I need to gain access to the L & R side scoops (they're not tight enough). Is the only access by removing the quarter windows, or am I missing something?

Neil

hookedtrout

I've only been there once, never did have to remove the window just the back seat to gain access to the side panel. Remove the back side panels, which will require the window handle to be removed at which point you can see the bolt/nut what ever it was don't remember for sure.

NosAvrenim

I've had to get in there a couple of times but have always had to remove the rear quarter windows. If there's an easier way, I'd love to hear what it is.

~Nate

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

I found an EZ way: With the 1/4 trim panel removed, drill a hole thru the 1/4 window metal plate (that blocks access to the scoop fastener). Enlarge the hole (to about a 1/2"), allowing a spin-tight or 1/4" drive socket through the hole to the fastener.

Neil

hookedtrout

My memory must be bad...doesn't surprise me, I don't think I was in there for the side scoop, I was in there trying to lube the window regulator if I remember, which is subjective.

Did you take pictures to share with us all?

hicountrybob

I found an EZ way: With the 1/4 trim panel removed, drill a hole thru the 1/4 window metal plate (that blocks access to the scoop fastener). Enlarge the hole (to about a 1/2"), allowing a spin-tight or 1/4" drive socket through the hole to the fastener.

Neil

Right on, Neil. Been there, done that many times. Bob here!

dalorzo_f

Ouch... hate to see that "solution", similar, to me, to the owners that carve up the shock towers to get access to the zerks... But it is hidden.

PITA to get to but once its cut it can never go back.... you "can" get to the quarter ornamnets with a long open end wrench, but its way awkward. Would assume the same with the scoops but never tried.

The panel is not that hard to remove, takes about 15-20 minutes... just had to do my '68 coupe to get the ornaments on, forgot to put them in before the windows. Had both sides removed, ornamants installed and all back together in about 1 1/2-2 hours... have a wrtie up on the process if anyone's interested...

IMHO don't cut!!!!

green56

side scoops

would like the tech article if you could thanks Tom

I have family that lives in Orange

somethingspecial

Ouch... hate to see that "solution", similar, to me, to the owners that carve up the shock towers to get access to the zerks... But it is hidden.

PITA to get to but once its cut it can never go back.... you "can" get to the quarter ornamnets with a long open end wrench, but its way awkward. Would assume the same with the scoops but never tried.

The panel is not that hard to remove, takes about 15-20 minutes... just had to do my '68 coupe to get the ornaments on, forgot to put them in before the windows. Had both sides removed, ornamants installed and all back together in about 1 1/2-2 hours... have a wrtie up on the process if anyone's interested...

IMHO don't cut!!!!

If my memory serves me correctly, some of the first factory cars saw the hole modification done by factory workers. So if the factory would do it to make it easier, I think it would be fine for us to do it 43 years later. Besides, no one would see it, and it doesn't weaken any structural support. I say go for it. JMHO.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

My thoughts exactly, and that's what I did. I'll try and get a photo for others' future reference.

Neil

Russ

Mike,

You are correct in that my early GT/CS (February 14 build date) has holes punched out of the window mechanism so the assembly line worker could install the scoop with the window rail installed. These holes are about 1 1/8" in diameter. My later GT/CS has no holes, requiring the installation of the scoops before the window mechanism went in.

There isn't much clearance between the window rail and the body, so take care if you decide to drill. Hope this helps,

Russ

dalorzo_f

PM me with email addresses for those interested in the rear 1/4 window install doc... article sent to John, if it can be posted here in a "tech section" happy to share it.

My personal preference is to leave things the way they are, as much as possible, but to each their own.

68 special

That is a great idea Neil. When I took mine off and put them back on, I did the wrench "around" the window mechanism. It was like a 2+ hour ordeal trying to fit my hand in there and turn the wrench. And of course, I had to flip the wrench for every 1/4 turn. Did you take measurements so others don't just guess where to drill?

Neil, how about a Sta, w/l, b/l to more exact!!!!LOL Wait, wrong Mustang. Sorry, It's 2am and I'm at work.

Bret

dalorzo_f

You are correct in that my early GT/CS (February 14 build date) has holes punched out of the window mechanism so the assembly line worker could install the scoop with the window rail installed. These holes are about 1 1/8" in diameter. My later GT/CS has no holes, requiring the installation of the scoops before the window mechanism went in.

Hmmm.... as many don't have the holes (mine does not) one could pose the question, why "some" and not others...

Sure it was on-the-line and not a "creative" PO ???

I would have thought the assembly on the line was standard, and the scoops went on before the rear 1/4 windows as Ford would not cut holes if not necessary... a 2 cent savings per car mattered.

Why would not have drilled holes on some and not others ( a cost in time, materials, tooling) if not necessary for all... ????

CougarCJ

Hmmm.... as many don't have the holes (mine does not) one could pose the question, why "some" and not others...

Sure it was on-the-line and not a "creative" PO ???

I would have thought the assembly on the line was standard, and the scoops went on before the rear 1/4 windows as Ford would not cut holes if not necessary... a 2 cent savings per car mattered.

Why would not have drilled holes on some and not others ( a cost in time, materials, tooling) if not necessary for all... ????

It has been suggested that the pre-production GT/CS cars, which were finished Mustangs, and then 'converted' to GT/CS models received this modification. Some or all, we don't know. Makes sense that someone came up with the idea to save time.

Russ

I just want to restate that my car is one of the very early production cars, with inset rear reflectors, and the holes are NOT drilled, they are punched out. On one side there are actually two holes, one overlapping the other, which seems like whoever punched the holes got it wrong. I think there were many small details on the early cars that gave the assembly line workers "fits" as they tried to get these cars down the assembly line with all the GT/ CS pieces in place. Just my thoughts,
Russ.

68 special

Mine is a 149485 vin and the holes are punched from inside out so as not to interfere with the nut. Only 1 hole per side.

Bret