• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 GT/CS on E bay

Northern Pony

I would hope that for $24,000 you would get a car with a spare tire??? and correct parts.

BoB

Grumpyoldman

Just wondering what is wrong with the car and restoration? I was going to bid on it and was just wondering.
Thanks

68CaliSp

From what I can see: The grill is not supposed to have the corralled pony, GT wheel caps are supposed to be red not blue (I believe), the engine compartment has been changed to taste (plug wires, air cleaner, Monte Carlo bar), the lip over the driver/passenger window is supposed to be chrome not painted (I believe). I'm not as well versed as many others on site and imagine they will chime in/correct me as well.

Cameron

franklinair

The discrepancies I noticed seem relatively minor & easy fixes. IMHO the seller's BIN figure is about double what I would even consider- provided that the body, frame, cowls, torque boxes checked out OK. A 'C' code with GT hubcaps (regardless of color) is wrong. Passenger side of dash has woodgrain panel, driver's side is standard. Blue interior should have blue door panels. The drip rail molding is an easy add on. The pony & corral come off with just a few nuts.The car has obviously been cobbled, so a good hard look would be in order.

Neil

Mosesatm

The discrepancies I noticed seem relatively minor & easy fixes. IMHO the seller's BIN figure is about double what I would even consider- provided that the body, frame, cowls, torque boxes checked out OK. A 'C' code with GT hubcaps (regardless of color) is wrong. Passenger side of dash has woodgrain panel, driver's side is standard. Blue interior should have blue door panels. The drip rail molding is an easy add on. The pony & corral come off with just a few nuts.The car has obviously been cobbled, so a good hard look would be in order.

Neil

Neil, the '68 grille cannot be used unless the mounting tabs are ground off and painted.
The GT/CS grille was modified from a '67. It's still a fairly inexpensive fix. Around $100 for a new grille, $80 or so for the fog light brackets from Delta Bay, and $20 for primer and paint.

Another minor thing is that the power steering pump is the wrong color.

I didn't mean to imply that the car was no good with my earlier comment, just that anyone who puts "MINT" and "No expense spared" in the title had better be able to back it up.

The car is certainly worth looking at, especially since he says he'll consider reasonable offers.

franklinair

I agree, Arlie. The car looks do-able, just not in the $24K stratosphere.

Neil

Grumpyoldman

Hi Guy's, I am not sure I understand what you are saying.
Is it a problem if the car was a RUST BUCKET and the metal work was done? Or if the car car is original metal?
What about the Hub Caps? How do you tell which ones go with the car since they made so many?
Dash wood grain how do you find out if this is what went on the car or it is not original?
Door Panels look Blue, What color Blue is the correct one? The guy said he did not put the drip rails on the car because of the new paint 8 years ago and just forgot to add them, Does this really matter?
Power steering pump color? Does this really matter? What color should this be?
I am talking to the guy and interested and need some help.
Thanks,

Grumpyoldman

In addition the engine compartment he said did come with the California bar from the previous owner and he just kept it since they already drilled the holes. But does the Plug wires really matter and the aircleaner is chrome. What is wrong with that?

Mosesatm

I guess none of the issues alone really matter but taken as a whole they are indicitive of a less than stellar "MINT" restoration.

The grill is a huge red flag for me because it was changed for a reason. Could that reason have been a wreck? If it was wrecked and the grill was damaged what else was damaged and improerly or incorrectly repaired?
Or maybe the grill is original to the car. That would be a huge problem because that means the car would not be a GT/CS.

The first thing I'd want to see with regard to front end damage are the holes in the hood for the twist locks. Then I'd give the radiator support a tug to see if it's original. Are the fog light supports in place or are they missing?

The car needs to be inspected top to bottom, inside and out.

I just noticed another error - the seal on top of the radiator support was not originally on this car. It was added.

The lack of a Marti is another red flag. Never puchase a GT/CS without a Marti.

Edit to Add:
There is some strange stuff going on here. Take a look at how the hood/cowl seal is installed.

Grumpyoldman

Thanks for the information.

I just came from looking at the car. The Seal on the radiator was added and just comes right off. The Cowl Hood seal is all new and held on with the actual replacement (Plastic) clips from Mustang Plus.
The car is an original Metal car. I could not see a patch panel or floor patch anywhere. All of the brackets for the Fog Lights are there. It has the pedestal Fog Lamps now but also has brackets for Grill Mounted.
He said the grill was not changed when he did the resto and that he thought that the Pony was in he trunk when delivered so they put it on. He has a letter from Ford stating California Special Package and has ordered the Marti Report. He alos has a California Title from the previous owner and their numbers and I am trying to contact them now.
Interior was also new when the did the resto. They said that when they stripped the car the only Rust was the battery tray which was replaced. The Paint looks like Glass and straight as an arrow.
An other info you can give would be helpful.
Regards,

franklinair

I just looked @ the cowl/hood seal. It is the correct seal & clips- they were just installed wrong.

Neil

Grumpyoldman

We are scheduled to take the car tomorrow and put it on a lift to pull the wheels off so I can look at the underside of the body and floors.
Owner say the only mods that he knows about is a mild cam, 4BBl carb and headers that were added. He has all the OEM equipment as for the 2BBl intake, Carb and exhaust manifolds. He advised these were done in California by the previous owner.
Can any of you think of anything else I should be looking out for on this car while I am underneath?
Best Regards,
Grumpy.

franklinair

Get the VIN #. Maybe its in our previous registries. If its not, a Marti Report is imperative ( to the point of no Marti, no sale) For $20+/- you can get a basic report Fax'd within 24 hours. Cheap insurance, for verification.
As far as the car itself, I didn't see anything superficially wrong that couldn't be corrected relatively easy. Closer inspection is necessary: body, frame, torque boxes, cowls. (Pour a glass of water in each side of the cowls and see where it runs out. It should exit at the bottom rear of each front fender. If it runs out on the floor in the car- BIG problem- the cowl(s) leak)

Neil

Grumpyoldman

Here is the scoop guys.
The car is Original Metal. All of the inner wheel wells are factory Tack Welded in and have never been replaced. No floor panels replaced. Everything is very solid and CLEAN. Has the Purple wire label in the trunk for the tail lights and Marti report came in as a GTCS. The car was bead blasted then painted with an epoxy primer and Dupont Paint in 2002. Inner rear quarter panels in the trunk still have the Rubber Drains installed. All lines and gaps are even and straight. I do need some help. It looks like whomever did the work on the Grill did replace it but from the picture from the California Registry book I think they used a 67 grill and put the Marcal Fog Light Brackets in upside down. Does anyone have close up photo's that they could send me from the Outside and also inside the grill between the radiator and grill so I can see if these are installed correctly or even the correct brackets?
It looks like I will buy the car now that I know it is original and would appreciate some help if you could. Also Original owners from California did confirm never any accidents in the 15 years they owned the car.
Thanks Guys.

franklinair

If you're happy, I'm happy. (Hope you didn't pay too much) When you get the car bring it on up to NC and I'll be glad to help/show you how to make it correct for a '68.

Neil