• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rocker Molding Clips, again

PB gtcs

Folks, Paul is out for today, but we need help. We put on the rocker molding Clips. We then tried to slide on the molding itself. Have very tite tolerances between rocker panel and the clips. Thus, the molding will not slip in between. Help ???

We put the clips on with the pop rivits provided. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

bigskygt

I am getting my GT/CS painted tomorrow, yea!!! and will be installing the rocker panels next week. I think they are to be snapped on, the top of the panel should be hooked on the top of the clips, apply down pressure as you press the bottom of the panel over the bottom of the clip. The clip should have a sort of ramped edge for it to slide over and they should snap into place. be carefull not to bend the bottom lip where clips are positioned. I think there are t-bolts for each end that need to be in place before you snap the rocker on. and require a nut on the inside which keeps the rocker from sliding. just my thoughts, If anyone else has more tidbits of info please respond. Have a great Day. Dan

case12

As suggested by Dan, I have always snapped them on, rather than slide them on. (even on my 66 mustang which uses metal clips, and not plastic ones like on the 68). Not sure whether to do it from top or bottom as I have done it both ways successfully. And of course the front is anchored with the one slide in clip and bolted on the inside of the front fender. Let us know how it goes. Casey

OP
OP
P

PB gtcs

Folks, I m telling ya, aint no way we gunna snap on this molding with the tolerances we have. Have a look at the string on page 2. Look at the tolerances on that one verses the rocker panel. Will it snap on??

Brian

quicknick

Casey is correct. You have to slap them on with the palm of your hand. The really stubborn ones will need a good punch with the back side of your fist.
I just installed a set on a customers 67 yesterday. My baby finger still hurts!

PFSlim

Brian and I have really looked at this rocker panel thing. When we rivited the plastic clips onto the car, the clips were so tight. To experiment before we installed the clips, I slid one in from the end and down the lenght of the moulding while the moulding was laying on the bench. The small tabs (top and bottom) which catch the lips of the moulding is tight against the rocker panel.

Is that what everyone else has seen? These are new mouldings and new clips and new paint job and just don't want to mess any of those up. As much information that one can provide would be very helpful.

Paul

nfrntau

Paul,
I havn't removed the clips from my car yet. This is what the original clips look like. They all appear to be the same, five per side.
Hope this helps. Your car is looking great!
Bill

Attachments

• DSCF1926.JPG
    DSCF1926.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 12

PFSlim

You guys are exactly right. Mouldings installed by snapping them right on. Could not believe my eyes. A many thanks to those who commented.

Once again, the experience on this website is something!!! Let us know if there is ever anything we can provide.

Thanks again.

Paul

rvrtrash

I need a new Ford GT. When can I expect delivery? ;D
Steve

PFSlim

Hey Steve. Tell us more about your project?? Is it done? I don't think I have seen pics in the gallery yet.

Brian and I will get that 05 Ford GT to ya right away and you of course will send us your Cal Spec, right??

Paul

68gt390

Hey Paul;
Send me an 05 Ford GT and I'll send you both my cars. Heck, for a deal like this I'll even throw in my Toyota and my girlfriends car. . ;D

Don 8)

rvrtrash

Hi Paul! I've got the dash pad out of the car at the moment. Since there were no tears or cracks, I decided to see if I could redye the top to take care of the discoloration before I bought a new one. I need to do the dash pad, fix the steering wheel, repair the console and I'm done (till I decide to do something else). I haven't posted any pics because my digital camera is old and doesn't take very good pictures. I thought I'd wait till spring, get a new camera, find a good background and then post to the gallery. I will go out to the shop this evening though a post a temporary pic here, with most of my menagerie if you want.
Steve
PS. Would you mind driving the GT out to me? I hate waiting to have fun till I've got the engine broke in. It'd be ready to go by the time you got here.

PFSlim

Steve

We have an old center pad (steering wheel) and and I think an extra top pad (center console) for automatic. Pad is in black (but not in too bad of shape) and the console is light blue. Console top in good shape. Do either of those help you?

Paul