• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Bad Idea?

Mosesatm

Attachments

• Changed Data Plate.jpg
    Changed Data Plate.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 99
  • Changed Data Plate 2.jpg
    Changed Data Plate 2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

dalorzo_f

As it clearly states "Not For Title or Registraion", which most DMV types ignore, not sure why it would be illegal. I just got a 68 door for mine, discovered the drivers is a 67, and it came with a tag. Most folks not in-the-know, would probably remove the entire door and replace the lot. As was probbaly done here...

Marti will sell a tag with whatever you want on it (I think, maybe they changed but a while ago you could just fill in the balnks and get as many as you wanted) so while not good from a correct resto standpoint don't think anyones going to be arrested for a mis-matched tag...???

68 special

dalorzo_f,

Where did you see the "Not For Title or Registraion". Besides who would want a car that can't be titled or registered and two different engine codes? Like you said, it could be just a door swap, but doubtful that a "C" and "J" code with the same production number.

Bret

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Bret,
Mustang door data plates have that verbiage on the upper left corners.

68 special

Gotcha, I was tearing the add apart trying to find it.. Thanks Arlie.

CougarCJ

Thanks Arlie, I was just asking myself the other day ... how in the world that I was going to get that pesky coil to stay in place.

coilmount.jpg

dalorzo_f

LOL! Yeah, sorry, I meant on the plate, not in the ad! :eek:

And actually, as an engineer, I kinda like the coil mount, helps prevent the common overheating issue by keeping it away from the block! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Hmmm, this may also be a bad idea, or at least bad taste.

Attachments

• Mustang Diamond Plate Dash.jpg
    Mustang Diamond Plate Dash.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 44

Ruppstang

Is it legal to change the VIN on the data plate? It looks like a reproduction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...4228734?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f13267b7e

Arlie that also could have been a factory mistake. I saw a 67 convertible that was stamped 7F01 insted of 7F03. And I had a 67 coupe that the last digit was a 1 when they stamped the aprons they made it a 7 then caught the mistake and squeezed a 1 between the 7 and the preceeding digit and stamped the star over the 7. So mistakes deffently happened. Marty

robert campbell

Val's title for her 1967 390 GTA Fastback has a "5" for the "S" in the Vin number. Gosh, someday we will correct it....

Rob

Ruppstang

Val's title for her 1967 390 GTA Fastback has a "5" for the "S" in the Vin number. Gosh, someday we will correct it....

Rob

I like to see some of these orignial mistakes. It gives me a true sence of what many of the original cars were like and the time pressure the workers were under. We live in a world where every thing need to be perfect. I am sure the people that bought these cars could have cared less if there was a digit out of placs in their VIN. Here is a example of a oops missed on the HCS that I did not fix. Marty

Attachments

• 68 HCS restoration - primer 002.JPG
    68 HCS restoration - primer 002.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 43