• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

no brake lights

zapper

Last week I was told by someone at a stop light that I had no brake lights. I checked the switch on the pedal and had power there but somewhere between there and the taillights I loose it, I was hoping that someone might have an idea what it could be before I pull the harness all out, I would rather be driving it this time of year. Any help is appreciated

Mosesatm

Are you running 1157 bulbs or LEDs?

If you have LEDs do the brake lights work with the engine off?

Do you have power coming out of the switch as well as into it?

Have you checked the ground wire in the trunk?

How about the bulb sockets? Are any of them corroded? One corroded socket can create an amazing array of problems

franklinair

If you have a factory "stock" installation (1157 incandescent bulbs, etc.) , past experience has shown me the following failures: Brake light switch, bad ground in trunk area wiring, failed turn signal switch, broken wire in the brake light circuit. Hope this helps.

Neil Hoppe

rvrtrash

See my last post in the halogen tail light thread. Maybe that will answer some questions.

Steve

OP
OP
zapper

zapper

Thanks for the help everyone, PFslim was right, I replaced the stoplight switch (ford still stocks them) and got lights. thanks again