• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT Gas Cap?

case12

From what I have learned on this site and from Paul's book the pop off gas cap should not be GT, but the pony. The GT/CS car I just got has a GT pop off gas cap which I should assume is incorrect, and change out? Just checking to make sure I am correct before ordering the part. Casey

68gt390

Casey;
The GT pop open cap is incorrect. None of the GT/CS cars were suppose to have the GT pop open cap. I have seen folks add that type cap just to add to the look of the car as well as GT center caps on the styled steel wheels along with the GT exhaust valance on the rear. I have also heard that a few of the GT optioned cars with a GT pop open gas cap did make it out of the factory. Don't know if this is fact or fiction. Either way, since my car is not a concourse restored car, I plan on putting the GT pop open gas cap on my car since it is a true GT optioned car. I just like the looks of the GT cap better.

Don :)

PB gtcs

Casey, first of all, welcome to the group. Paul and I are on the home stretch to get our GT/CS done. Our car is not a true GT car, but loved the look so much that since we had to buy those items anyway, we bot gt hubs, valance, and gas cap. We have a blue car, the red in the GT lettering really looks cool.

Brian

CalPaul

Hi All:

my Marti lists "GT Equipment Group". I understand this to mean that the car is a GT - correct? I don't have the GT gas cap so perhaps mine was one of the cars that is a GT but didn't get the GT gas cap (from Don's message).

68gt390

[quote author=CalPaul link=board=1;threadid=1221;start=0#msg6816 date=1101853791]
Hi All:

my Marti lists "GT Equipment Group". I understand this to mean that the car is a GT - correct? I don't have the GT gas cap so perhaps mine was one of the cars that is a GT but didn't get the GT gas cap (from Don's message).
[/quote]

CalPaul; Since your options list the GT Equipment Group, your car is a true GT. None of the GT/CS cars were suppose to have the GT pop open gas cap. They were all suppose to have the pop open cap with the running horse emblem. But, I have heard that a few of the GT optioned cars did make it out of the factory with the incorrect cap (GT pop open cap). Sorry for any confusion.

Don ;)

CalPaul

Hey Don, thanks for responding so quickly. I really appreciate the info provided at our site. I really need to read one of Paul's books ;D!

davidathans

Re: GT Gas Cap

My mustang had the original pop open gas cap with the horse & corral, but was all scratched up and the chome rim was corroding. I went the NPD National Parts Depot and bought the "Deluxe Pop Open Gas Cap" All new chrome and i got the red GT on the cap. Last week i raced with slicks and after that the cap will not stay Closed

Has anyone had this same problem? Should i change the spring to one that is stiffer?

Thanks
David

68gt390

David;
I to had the same problem with my 68 GT 390 Coupe. Ran it several times and the cap would not stay closed. After scratching my head and a few choice words I noticed the next time I went to put in gas that the bumper had moved out of position and was hitting the bottom of the chrome area on the cap. Pulled the bumper and found that someone had used body shims instesd of the original factory spacers. Put in new original spacers as used from the factory and problem was solved. Don't know if this is what you may have but, it's a thought. Hope this helps.

Don ;)