• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Instrument bezel/cluster

erselt

I bought a replacement instrument bezel/cluster for my car and I'm having difficulties removing the old one. I removed all the screws(top & bottom ones) and it doesn't want to pull out too far. I assume the speedo cable is stopping it from coming out!?! If so, how do I get in the dash area to free it up??
Thanks in advance.
Eric

x-codegtcs

the speedo cable and the wire harness make it difficult. you need to pull the bezel out - gently wriggling it back and forth until you can get an open end wrench on the nut that hold the cable to the unit. After that you should be able to get the dash out enough to disengage the wire harness clips. The tricky part is putting it back in. The spedo cable has made me cuss a coulple of times.

good luck!

Tim Lowder

You need to take your heater control off the left side. This will allow you to get a pair of pliers in to loosen the speedo cable without pulling on the bezel and putting stress on the cable. once the cable is disconnected you can slide it out enough to remove the insturment cluster connection. Hope this helps.

Calspecialdreamer

Erselt,
I'm curious. On the replacement bezel, did you get a repro or a NOS? The reason I ask is I believe the repro's do not have the horse emblem for the brights...

OP
OP
E

erselt

Thanks for the tips!

I bought a repro cluster. I was told that I use the old pony insignia for the new cluster. I'm not sure how the old one is mounted since I haven't removed it yet.

Eric

our special

Well folks, I'm getting my feet wet here, so to speak. This is my third try at replying and I have no idea where the other two went. I have to admit that I am in a little over my head when it comes to computers. Our special has been listed on this site pretty much from the beginning and it is featured on page two of the gallery. Jon, the site has come a long ways since we first spoke. Congradulations to you and the support of those who use the site. I would like to reply to Eric's question on the dash cluster. I found that once I removed all of the screws from the cluster, including the nut on the back of the right side of the bezel, which must be removed before the cluster will come out, that if I pulled the slack of the cable from the transmission towards the firewall it would allow the cluster to come out far enough to get a wrench on the nut. Regarding the "high beam pony". my repo beazel had the pony but when I turned on the highbeams, the indicator light was extreamly bright. When I sized up the original beazel, the reverse side of the pony was ( painted? ) black which reduced the brightness. No way was I pulling the cluster again to paint it, so, I removed the pony from the old beazel and if you can picture this, I sliced it in half and glued it to the new pony. Works perfectly and you would never know it was there. I hope this is of some help. Dave

Talan423

my pony is very bright too, i'll have to try the paint trick. thanks for the info.

tom