• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 AC Firewall Question

x-codegtcs

OK - so I am moving onto the AC unit...I am wondering if there were plugs for the firewall where the heater-only box mounted. If so, where do you get them? If not, how did Ford seal the cabin?

Ruppstang

Bryce I pictured those parts in the AC parts I had and I think you said that you had them. Marty

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

I have the large gasket and two-piece metal plate, but they don't cover the 4 small bolt holes. Sorry - I wasn't very clear in my original post.

franklinair

Are you adding A/C? IIRC, the 4 holes in the firewall are meant to accomodate either configuration: with A/C or without. The 2 holes inboard/vertical are for the non A/C configuration (heater only). The 2 holes horizontal/adjacent to evaporator lines & expansion valve holes are for an A/C configuration.
As far as plugs for unused firewall holes i've used the rubber body plugs. Worked out fine.

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 008 (2)EM.JPG
    Green GTCS 008 (2)EM.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 46

CougarCJ

As far as plugs for unused firewall holes i've used the rubber body plugs. Worked out fine.

Neil

To add to what Neil said, they are 1 inch rubber plugs, numbered 377678.
Drake and Carpenter both reproduce them.

dalorzo_f

And in some cases you need to massage the holes and file a bit to get them to fit, as when punched out they sometimes get a bit of a "neck" which makes it hard to install the plugs flush..

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

I will try to get a photo of my firewall and ID the holes. I have plugged the heater hose holes already. It is the 4 bolt holes that the heater fan motor bolts to (for non-AC cars) that I am trying to figure out how to seal.

68sunlitgold

Here is what mine looked like once I added factory A/C to my coupe. The holes to the right that now have plugs are where the heater core came through the firewall.

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4892.JPG
    IMG_4892.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4885.JPG
    IMG_4885.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 29

CougarCJ

I will try to get a photo of my firewall and ID the holes. I have plugged the heater hose holes already. It is the 4 bolt holes that the heater fan motor bolts to (for non-AC cars) that I am trying to figure out how to seal.

The gasket and surrounding 2 piece plate for the factory A/C cover those holes.

OP
OP
X

x-codegtcs

Everyone! THANK YOU! Doug and Scott - thanks for the photos. I found out that I am a complete moron - for like the 100th time while trying to put this car back together (some places like the 5th time). I had only put the rubber seal up to the fire wall and did not check fit the metal plates. The metal plates definitely cover the holes I ASSUMED that because the rubber gasket didn't cover the holes that the metal plate wouldn't either. Thanks again for helping a moron with his project!