• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A/C Install Questions

njmop

Hello All,
I just spent the day at Raceway Park here in Englishtown NJ. It is swap meet weekend. My CS was originally equiped with A/C but now has no parts left (except what's left in-dash). So, I found a compressor and the mounting brackets and some busted up hoses and such. The guy wanted $150. It was about half complete. It was from a parts car and he didn't know if it worked. Did I miss a deal? He wouldn't budge b/c he said they are getting too rare. Is this true? Can I go to a junk yard and get a similar complete system from another FORD V-8? Should I go new for the $1K+? :(

Anyway, got lots of small dash parts, interior parts, exterior molding, emblems, great shape door w/glass and a box of misc parts for about $30. :D

Any words of wisdom are helpful.
Mike
(FYI, no CS or Shelby parts were found :( )

390cs68rcode

almost all the cars I have bought with AC I have had to replace the compressor, expansion valve, hoses and cluthces. Once all this adds up to the other parts that most need you are better off buying a full COMPLETE and NEW system. If you buy it all new from the beginning then you KNOW it will work and it is one less thing to worry about fixing later.

68sunlitgold

Mike,
I agree with Jason that new is best, but if money is tight you can get all the stuff you talked about on ebay for almost half that price. And almost any compressor built between 65-75 are the same, since York and Tecumseh provided most compressors for cars during that time frame.

Doug

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

I think I'll check out a kit next spring. If I come across some complete unit from a parts car for next to nothin', then I'll think again!

rvrtrash

Go to the classifieds section of www.Mustangsandmore.com . There is a guy in northern New Jersey selling a complete set up, brackets and everything for a 68 Mustang with a 302. He's taking offers but doesn't want to ship. Sounds like it's made for you, man.
Steve