• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 trunk mat

retroman99

quick question what is the correct style trunk mat for our cars. anybody recommend a particular vendor looks like ACC makes a good product ? plaid or speckle pattern?

Ruppstang

ACC is the best manufacturer I have found. I think most cars had the speckle pattern.

dalorzo_f

Some shots of the one in the GTCS as purchased for comparison. As a one owner car not overly molested, but not sure if this is the original, but condition and wear led me to this it is a possibility... but it is not stiched either, unsure if that was done on them for the GTCS or not... may be a service replacement as the trunk had definitely been painted with black "stuff" at some time in the past.

J_Speegle

Just to add full disclosure ;) There were at least three different materials used at San Jose for the trunk mats. So "correct" doesn't have a single answer

From my pictures and notes there was

Speckled, Felt and Plaid installed on the line

Just sharing

Ruppstang

I have seen all three. Our HCS had the felt. IMHO the splatter was the most used and is what is in our HCS now.
Marty

dalorzo_f

Do they do the plaid in the Burtex material? Like the lay/feel of it better than the hard vinyl on the typical repro plaid mats I've had..

J_Speegle

3 types for the GT/CS run, or the model year?

All three found during the period at San Jose in coupes (percentage of usage appears to change on fastbacks) built during the production period our cars were built

My collection of pictures show about even between the felt and speckled.

But its your choice - http://californiaspecial.com/forums/imagesCS/smilies/wink.gif

Do they do the plaid in the Burtex material? Like the lay/feel of it better than the hard vinyl on the typical repro plaid mats I've had..

Know they do for fastbacks - so believe so. The whole sewn corners is another discussion

Mosesatm

Sorry about reviving another thread.

Is there a definitive answer regarding the trunk mat material? Are all three options still correct?

J_Speegle

Sorry about reviving another thread.

Is there a definitive answer regarding the trunk mat material? Are all three options still correct?
Since all three were used at San Jose the only way I can think of to be more definitive would be for you to post when you car was completed and look for cars finished the same day or week and go from there. That would give you an idea and documentation of what San Jose had on the line that day or week

di81977

Since all three were used at San Jose the only way I can think of to be more definitive would be for you to post when you car was completed and look for cars finished the same day or week and go from there. That would give you an idea and documentation of what San Jose had on the line that day or week
Jeff, do you happen to have a picture of the felt in a trunk? I think I have a set sitting around. It came with my 68 convertible, but wasn’t in the car.

J_Speegle

Jeff, do you happen to have a picture of the felt in a trunk? I think I have a set sitting around. It came with my 68 convertible, but wasn’t in the car.

Believe I have two or so examples but at the moment I don't know when each car was completed and I believe that is an important part of the picture for this style/type of mat not normally seen at San Jose in 68. Might have only been one delivery from this particular sort during the whole production year so would be hesitant to use unless it made sense

Will look at files and report back

speedy02

6-030219170508.jpeg

6-030219170431.jpeg

di81977

Thanks for the picture of the felt. I really thought the felt was like insulation under the pad. I took it out and added the plaid mat. Not sure if a convertible trunk is different dimensions to a coupe, but I have this set if anyone wants it. It’s got some stains but otherwise very nice. FREE, just pay shipping.

Attachments

• 6FCC2D52-3D03-46A5-827D-AE0E01DA61D0.jpeg
    6FCC2D52-3D03-46A5-827D-AE0E01DA61D0.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 27
  • C8B265E6-3860-4B46-8C96-3739C7C5455D.jpeg
    C8B265E6-3860-4B46-8C96-3739C7C5455D.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 24

J_Speegle

Thanks for the picture of the felt. I really thought the felt was like insulation under the pad. I took it out and added the plaid mat. Not sure if a convertible trunk is different dimensions to a coupe, but I have this set if anyone wants it. It’s got some stains but otherwise very nice. FREE, just pay shipping.
That does not look like an original or even a period NOS version to me. It's cut differently, especially around the filler neck, from the other NOS/service replacements I've seen and have pictures of. In the 60's you could buy mat material from th eauto parts stores (aftermarket) to make your own or it cam precut for specific cars. Also many of the felt style I've seen have a reinforcement backing as part of the mat or it will curl or bunch up in the trunk like so many of the cheap older reproduction mats with the white felt back layer

Last edited:

J_Speegle

The pictures you posted from the Concours site is of a fastback so it really does not apply directly and maybe not indirectly, to this site :)

Yes have a few since these were not the typical ones found in coupes and convertibles in 68 at San Jose as mentioned above

Looking at what cars they have been found in (unrestored cars) it appears that there was a delivery of some in the first month of production. Way too early for the cars studied here. But there appears to have been a second delivery or possible two somewhere in the very late December 67 time period lasting into to the first part of March 68

Here is a picture of two of the examples from this later/mid year period

Hope this helps

6-080223000537-183441932.jpeg