• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trans and Rear VIN Location

BigJim

I have been able to confirm my car has the born with engine. Now I want to check the trans (C4) and rear end. When do I find the serial number on a C4 trans and standard rear end? I hope to check them this weekend when my friend has it up on the lift.

Thanks

franklinair

Don't know about the rear, but when I pulled a matching # C-4, it was painted on the top of the housing. Not the bell housing. The transmission housing. It was a Metuchen plant car.

Neil

J_Speegle

Trans VIN is on a small pad on top of the trans about 6" forward of where the tail shaft housing attaches

68VINtransc4.jpg

No VIN was placed on the rear end of the car

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

No VIN was placed on the rear end of the car
That sucks! How does one confirm their car is a numbers car? Is there a build date stamped into the rear end that will indicate that the rear end is possibly original? How far in advance did Ford build the rear ends for these cars?

Ruppstang

If the rear axel specs match up with the Marti report it most likely is original. The manufacturer dates should be 1-2 months before the build date of the car. Marty

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Well, the engine and trans are a match. The rear end matches the Marti report so I guess I can claim she's a number's car!!! YES!!!!

CougarCJ

Is there a build date stamped into the rear end that will indicate that the rear end is possibly original? How far in advance did Ford build the rear ends for these cars?

Date stamp on the rear end tag, plus there is a casting date on the third member.