• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power Steering Frustration

PFSlim

When we completed our restoration last year, we installed power steering in our car because all of the componets where there and it seemed like the right thing to do.

All last year we fought a leaking power steering pump, mainly because we didn't to much to it when we installed it. We always knew we would pull it back off and rebuild the pump.

We did that this year. Pump was rebuilt by a guy we think we can trust and we put it back into the car. Now, the bottom pump hose or the pump itself is leaking (that is the frustrating part) and is starting to make a noise when turned at sharp turns. Two nights ago, I once again put the heavy on the clamp on the bottom hose and refilled the pump. It has not leaked that much but is still making the screeeech sound when turning sharp.

Anyone got any ideas? Does everyone's leak? Last year, mine only made a noise when it was low on fluid. Could it be a problem in the pump??

Interested in your thoughts.

Paul

CJ

Paul; Just a few ideas.....

Buzzing noises are usually caused by a bad control valve in the pump. Replacing the valve may be all that's necessary to eliminate the problem. But if the pump itself is whining, the pump shaft bearings are shot and it's time to replace the pump.

Groaning noises can be caused by restrictions, low fluid level or air in the system.

Rattling usually indicates mechanical vibration. Check the pump mounting brackets on the engine, and for contact between the pressure hose and the chassis or other parts.

A growl may be the result of a restriction in the steering gear or hose, or the result of pump cam ring wear or a scarred pump pressure plate, thrust plate
or rotor.

Good Luck

CJ

Redwingrobb

CJ said:
Paul; Just a few ideas.....

Buzzing noises are usually caused by a bad control valve in the pump. Replacing the valve may be all that's necessary to eliminate the problem. But if the pump itself is whining, the pump shaft bearings are shot and it's time to replace the pump.

Groaning noises can be caused by restrictions, low fluid level or air in the system.

Rattling usually indicates mechanical vibration. Check the pump mounting brackets on the engine, and for contact between the pressure hose and the chassis or other parts.

A growl may be the result of a restriction in the steering gear or hose, or the result of pump cam ring wear or a scarred pump pressure plate, thrust plate
or rotor.

Good Luck

CJ

I've got a problem with my power steering also. If I am to understand you correctly, if I turn my wheel and the car (front end) vibrates, it is how the pump is mounted? The previous owner of the car got frustrated with it and took off the pump, but decided to put the pump back on just prior to selling it to me...Robb

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Robb

No. My pump (I am assuming it is my pump) squeals like mad when I turn left or right. Just like it would do it it didn't have any power steering fluid in it.

I have a deal with myself that if I can't figure out how to make this thing work and not leak all the time, I am going to try to switch everything to manual steering.

Paul

harryz

Squealing power steering

Try checking the drive belt for the power steering. It will squeal if it's too loose and you turn the wheel.

Just my $.02. Good luck!

Harry Z.

nfrntau

This may sound stupid but I'll throw it out there anyway. Is it possible you got one or two drops of fluid on the belt? When the pump gets to the point it's really working hard the belt slips just enouph to screech? Try rubbing a little bees wax on the belt and see if it stops or quiets down a touch. If the sound changes you will have the culprit.

390cs68rcode

PFSlim said:
Robb

No. My pump (I am assuming it is my pump) squeals like mad when I turn left or right. Just like it would do it it didn't have any power steering fluid in it.

I have a deal with myself that if I can't figure out how to make this thing work and not leak all the time, I am going to try to switch everything to manual steering.

Paul

the second new pump I put on mine squeals only when it is turned to one side all the way. I was waaaay too frsutrated after replacing it 2 times in one day to do it a third time. I will just deal with it until I feel like taking it apart again to get another new one. All were rebuilt Ford pumps.

hicountrybob

PFSlim said:
When we completed our restoration last year, we installed power steering in our car because all of the componets where there and it seemed like the right thing to do.

All last year we fought a leaking power steering pump, mainly because we didn't to much to it when we installed it. We always knew we would pull it back off and rebuild the pump.

We did that this year. Pump was rebuilt by a guy we think we can trust and we put it back into the car. Now, the bottom pump hose or the pump itself is leaking (that is the frustrating part) and is starting to make a noise when turned at sharp turns. Two nights ago, I once again put the heavy on the clamp on the bottom hose and refilled the pump. It has not leaked that much but is still making the screeeech sound when turning sharp.

Anyone got any ideas? Does everyone's leak? Last year, mine only made a noise when it was low on fluid. Could it be a problem in the pump??

Interested in your thoughts.

Paul
Here in FORD COUNTRY, they say "if it doesn't leak, it's empty".

rvrtrash

Mine doesn't leak-yet. Before you decide to go to manual steering, consider the Granada components. All the hoses have o-rings on them to help prevent leaks.
Steve

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Here is the direction we have decided to go.

I am ordering a manual steering adapter from VA Mustangs. It will go in to replace the control valve. Once installed, you remove all other power steering parts.

We made this decision for two reasons. First and foremost, I am tired of working on the power steering and want something more reliable and that does not create a mess in my garage. Second, our car (according to Marti) is one of two manufactured and ordered by the same dealership. This is mainly driven by the fact that is was a manual steering car. So, our car will better match our Marti report.

Paul