• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Crate Engines & Smog

cnassif

I've just purchased a GT/CS without an engine. It's going to be a RestoMod since I want to drive it regularly. Since it's not a numbers matching situation, I was looking at crate engines. I am looking to keep it under $3000 so what companies do the members of the forum recommend for crate engines?

I have read a number of articles (including a good one in Mustang Monthly ) that address this but I'm really looking for people with personal experience to comment.

Alos, what did you do for Smog (I know Smog Checks aren't required right now but you're still supposed to have it in California)?

case12

tri-star engines in Wisconsin. 347 stroker for $3200. they build to your needs, so i imagine you can get within your price range. remember the cost of shipping though.

Casey

Mustanger

Alos, what did you do for Smog (I know Smog Checks aren't required right now but you're still supposed to have it in California)?

Nope, in California, if your car is older than a '75, then no smog test required ... :smile:

OP
OP
C

cnassif

I've found some nice engines, thanks for all your input. Tri-Star's engine link on their website was down so I ended up calling them. FPS is nice but expensive. I did find an inexpensive place for engines with a 7 Year / 70,000 mile warranty and thought it was worth mentioning to the forum. S and S engines (http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/ford-engines.html) has a good list with decent prices. The 289 is $1,089 plus core charge. Needs some add ons but seems like a good company.

Also came across TuffDawg and 5 Star on eBay. Nice products and reasonable prices there too but only a one-year warranty.