• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Radio Speaker Options

robynGTCS

8)

My GT/CS has the original AM radio. I would like keep the original radio as it is. Then get a portable Sirius satellite radio with car docking kit and mount it so its hidden. I will need speakers though. I was wondering if anyone knows if door and rear speakers were an option. If so does anyone have any pictures so I can see what they look like and what I need to get?

Thanks!

cannetny

I don't know about the speaker options but they do make a kick panel speaker setup that just replaces your old panels. Then you can just swap them out if you need the original look. by the way, I have the sirius setup in my '02 GT and i think it is awesome. I haven't listened to the regular radio since Christmas.

OP
OP
R

robynGTCS

Thanks for the info. I will look up the kick panels again. I did see them on mustangsunlimited site. I could use those with speakers in the rear and that should sound awesome. The car is so original though I hate to screw it up. I also have to look into painting the sirius antenna white to match the car so it doesn't stand out too much. I know what you mean, I have Sirius in my Jeep and I love it! It would be cool to put it on the 60's channel in the mustang for cruise nights!

Robyn

68gt390

Robyn;
The kick panel speakers are made by Custom Auto Sound. I have a pair in my 68 GT. You may have to do a little adjustment to get them to fit exact but, from the company they are very close. If you use a speaker with large magnets (speakers other than furnished with panels) you will need to use a spacer to get them to clear the metal frame. They are pretty simple to install. The spacers can be picked up at just about any Audio/Stereo Shop.

Don :)

cannetny

Something you might want to try is to located the antena on the package tray as close to the glass as possible. The signal might be strong enough that way. I tried it in my '02 and it worked ok, I eventually located it on the exterior but that was just to maximize the signal strength.

OP
OP
R

robynGTCS

So that's what it's called... a package tray!! I have been trying to find the name for that piece LOL. :eek:

That's a good idea to try the antenna there first, I like that. It doesn't sound like rear spearkers were an option then?

68gt390

Robyn;
This is the web site address for Custom Auto Sound: www.customautosound.com

They have some pretty neat accessories for the older cars and everything they make fits without having to cut up the car. Hope this helps.

Don

cannetny

I know you can put 6x9 speakers back there but If they were originally installed....I don't know. They also make a custom "package tray" now that houses two speakers and a brake light for safety. you might consider that as well, it is something that can be returned to original quickly if needed.

OP
OP
R

robynGTCS

I checked out the site, thanks... they have a great selection! Now all I have to do is make a decision!

Sarge

Robyn,

I am not sure if the C/S came with rear speakers, but if you look from inside the trunk, you can see the 6 x 9 cutouts in the metal below the package tray. I don't think they would cut out the metal, if there wasn't a reason. I put some 6 x 9 speakers in there and it sounds great.

I also put a stereo/cd in the glove box, and bought an RF remote link which carries the remote signal thru a fiber optic link to the radio. This keeps the original working radio in the dash, while giving me today's stereo technology.

Robert

RacingFan

There was a dealer installed option for the rear 6x9 speaker kit. You could get one standard speaker which fit in the middle of the package shelf and included a fader button you installed on your radio. There was a deluxe option which included two rear speakers and a fader switch. I have the rear defroster in the middle, so I had to locate both speakers. I found what I was looking for in Nashville, and the 68 speaker grills are available reproduction. I bought NOS grills and mounting kits, and am putting a good set of vintage Jensen speakers underneath them!