• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Trim Polishing

68Fan

I picked my car up from the paint shop and am in the process of assembly. I have run into a problem with some trim pieces that need some attention. Most of the pieces are in good shape but need some elbow grease. I've taken the window trim to a guy here in town (Chrome & Shine guy) and he gave me an estimate of close to $500 for refinishing. Of course there are aluminum trim pieces that I would like to polish and clean up (hood and grill trim) but I think I will have to "chrome" them for the desired effect. Being my budget is not infinite; I would like some advice on how to polish the chrome pieces that are in fare shape. I was told that using a chrome polish actually does more damage to the surface of the trim?? Any thoughts or experience with this issue?

Mosesatm

It depends what is wrong with the pieces. If the chrome is pitted I don't think there is anything you can do but get it rechromed. The window trim usually doesn't pit and can be polished using varying grades of steel wool. For the final shine I use plexiglass polish. If you are going to polish a lot of trim it might be best to invest in a bench grinder and some polishing pads. Eastwood has a good selection of pads and compounds. Even a Dremel with a polishing pad will work.

Russ

I agree with Arlie, in that you can purchase a very nice bench grinder and change the grinding wheels to polishing wheels (get a "firm" polishing wheel and a "soft" wheel) and do it yourself. Use stainless steel rouge to get the desired results. There is a lot of stainless steel trim around the windows and top and these can come out looking like a mirror with just a bit of time and effort, plus instead of paying someone $500, you will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and will end up with a very nice restoration tool (the grinder).
As far as the grill components, I would try to purchase NOS trim because "chroming" will give an altogether different look than the original. Even the repro trim is acceptable, although it is much softer than the original. NOS trim is out there, in fact I just purchased an entire NOS grill the other day, with a bunch of other '68 NOS parts, so just keep looking. Hope this helps,
Russ