• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Steering Wheel

darb

My steering wheel is badly cracked, and I saw that you can get a new one for 199.95..yeck.

Does anyone know of a company that repairs and paints steering wheels, so they are crack free and perfectly painted to the original specifications?

I'll of course be purchasing a new horn pad and button kit, but I don't want to spend 200 bucks for a new steering wheel, and think it would be cheaper to have it repaired.

I'd be willing to ship the steering wheel anywhere if need be, please let me know.

Thanks
-Brad

erselt

I have the same issue with my aqua colored deluxe (wood trim) steering wheel. I have seen the buttons and emblem available but not the wheel itself or the correct pad!?
I was thinking about changing it over to a walnut/aluminum (aftermarket) wheel with the holes OR the same with the slots--Shelby style. It looks like the wheels are about $100.00 or so and w/b a lot cheaper that fixing my aqua wheel. I would like to keep it stock though...hmmm!?!

RacingFan

There are a couple of companies out there that do the restoration, but they ain't cheap. Bill Herndon Pony Parts runs around $350 if they use yours, and $450 if you don't have one to restore. For about $400 from another company, you can get a "new restored" deluxe wheel from Florida. Would be glad to provide names and numbers, but I am not sure this is what you want as far as cost. I think its actually cheaper to buy a new reproduction steering wheel, center pad, buttons, etc. You can always find a decent wheel pad on ebay usually.

Hey guys!!! I just finished a standard black steering wheel and center pad restoration for darb, and took pictures through the process for those who are interested. Please e-mail me if you are interested in having yours done and I will send pictures. Thanks.

mrshelbydallas@hotmail.com

OP
OP
D

darb

Woohoo! I'm excited to see it...just waiting patiently for the UPS man to come knocking on my door!

If it turns out like Kevin says - I'll recommend him to everyone! (I haven't gotten it yet, but when I do I'll post again).

It was only $160 to rebuild EVERYTHING, most of you wont need everything done up - I mean, he replaced just about every item on the steering wheel. (Pad, Buttons, Emblem, Crack Filling, Painting, etc.).

Thank Kevin, waiting to see it!

Brad

Here are some pics of the wheel directly before painting.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 34