• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2005 Registry Update Thread

Perkchiro

Question: Should I "this time" reveal ALL of the things to look for to authenticate a true GT/CS (HCS?)??

Paul: My answer to this question is a solid "YES". I know that your book may not be a restoration book, but as one who is in the middle of a restoration, having that reference (I have your old addition) has really helped a lot. My car required a complete change of the front grille and fog light brackets and fender emblems to return it to original. This was due to prior front end damage and replacement with 68 mustang parts instead of GT/CS parts. Having the information to return it to it's original status was invaluable. Don't know where I would have gone with this website and your book. Thanks for your dedication and I will be looking forward to your newest edition.

By the by, I have digital photographs of my restoration to date. Shows various pictures of disassembly, engine rebuild, post media blasting, sheet metal repair, etc. I know that there are many such pictures in the gallery pages on this site, but if you need anything from me, just let me know.
Steve

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Steve! I appreciate your comments. It has always been my hope to help folks restoring their GT/CS with good information.

Definately send me a few photos of your restoration. I want to include that in the book to encourage others to do the same, since these cars are nearing in age for complete restorations.

IF you could--also send video of the restoration, too. This is all very inspiring to others that are considering doing the same.

I invite everyone to send in some sort of photos and/or video of your restorations. I do have a ground-up resto (a famous one here) that I will document.

As for one of those "secrets", look at your rear quarters without the script. if you look along the side from the rear, you'll see the slightest "dimpling" of the sheet metal for the holes. The script holes were punched, not drilled at the factory.

-Paul N.

case12

I agree with those on the thread. All the secrets can now be told now that we have the Marti Report. This will put more emphasis on the Marti Report being the only way to authenticate a vehicle (unlike Shelbys that were numbered and records kept). This is what I was told and we tell people all along - get the Marti Report as the only way to authenticate. After that, we need the secrets to properly restore. Thanks Paul! Casey

19HCS68

Paul,
Please "reveal all" as enquiring minds need to know.

Signed,
Enquiring Mind ;)

Diesel Donna

Paul N.~

You should include that newspaper ad for GT/CS that you found when you were looking in your Dad's things....remember?

I heard that one true way to tell if you have an authentic CS is that when you turn the key to open the trunk, it lifts by itself instead of manually lifting it. Is that true?

~~~~Donna

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Diesel Donna link=board=1;threadid=1688;start=15#msg13774 date=1124782409]
Paul N.~

You should include that newspaper ad for GT/CS that you found when you were looking in your Dad's things....remember?

I heard that one true way to tell if you have an authentic CS is that when you turn the key to open the trunk, it lifts by itself instead of manually lifting it. Is that true?

~~~~Donna
[/quote]

not a good way to tell. One of mine does not lift (I replaced the weatherstrip).

rvrtrash

If you have a very large set of "Channellock" type pliers (we used to call them pump pliers on the farm) you can adjust the trunk lid tensioners and it should open on it's own.
Steve

Diesel Donna

I've replaced my trunk weatherstripping too (and not very well either, it sags) But the trunk still lifts on it's own. Oh well, just an urban myth I heard I guess.

case12

The trunk lid is notorious for popping up quickly because it is fiberglass, where the non-GTCS were metal. The lower weight of the fiberglass lets the springs push hard and fast. Not a determination of a GTCS, but certainly a possible symptom that many have. Casey

sam

Paul, still haven't heard back from you if you have my data on my CalSpec. I've sent you a digital pic with serial nos and other perinant data as it relates to my car.

Please let me know, as I'd like to be included in the new registry. Thanks.

Peter Brown
Nashua, NH aka SAMS68

68gt390

Does anyone know if the deadline has been extended? Don't think I'll make the 30 Aug deadline. Between trying to get ready for the Grand Nationals and totaling my Toyota this month, things are a little hectic. :'(

On a brighter note: Paul: I should have the pre-production photo's of the CS diecast sometime next week. Will let you know when I have them. Would like to email to you to have a look see at and get your imput on them.

Don

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

As of 8/25/05, here are some more cars that have been registered by owners. (excuse me for any mispelled names):

K. Houle
C. Holzhauser
C Leonard
D. Patterson (second one)
S. Perkins
J. Weider

Most of these had copies of the Marti Report included, and some had CDs with photos. I wish to thank everyone for sending this information. I VERY MUCH appreciate everyone who "rushed" their materials together to get them to me by the end of August.

Although, despite my "deadline" of the end of August, since there are still registrations coming in, and I will need to extend the deadline until Sept. 30.

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registrar

p.s. :

Donna--you are right. There is a specific Ford part number for the CS trunk lid spring.

Peter--yes, I do have your info and photos.

case12

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1688;start=30#msg13936 date=1125083509]

Donna--you are right. There is a specific Ford part number for the CS trunk lid spring.

[/quote]

Wow - I didnt know that....a different Ford part number for the CS trunk lid spring than for other 68 mustangs? Casey

sam

Great Paul, I'm glad you have my info for the registry.

Thank you

Peter Brown/Nashua,NH aka SAMS68

Invertedflyby

Thanks for extending the deadline. My car is locked up in storage but I will try to get some pics from before it was stored to send in. I purchased the Elite report from Marti a month ago, is there any way for you to get enough info from him to include in the book since I won't get the report back for another 4-5 months? I plan on starting on the restore in Januray.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

It looks like I'll begin on the compilation of the 1988 and 1996 editions--along with some new information, from late Sept., through all of October. I will then be doing a BIG mass mailing to the folks on my list to comfirm data, and include any new information for this new edition. This will be a self-explanatory mailer about a few topics, not just the book.

So--that means that realistically, you all have until late October to get everything to me.

My apologies with the delay--and the "uncertain" time frame, but this time it's "a go". All planned out.

I can't give an available-printed-copy timeframe, but it should be late November-Dec 2005.

Thanks again,
Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registry.

68Fan

A new record for your Registry (VIN 8R01C152052). I received the "Marti" report this morning via fax and can provide you with more details if requested.

Best Regards,

Sean (aka 68Fan)

390cs68rcode

Sean:

here is what and where you need to send your info to:

Send your videos to: Paul M. Newitt, P.O. Box 2245, Davis, CA 95617. Please send them to me before Sept 30th, 2005. Paul N.

p.s. for those who sent still photos only (and don't have access to a video camera), don't fret--we'll shoot those with a video camera--so everyone who sent photos will get on the DVD.

Note: the same address can be used to send your GT/CS Registration, copies of the invoice, Marti Report, photos, etc. Please include your name, address, VIN number, door tag numbers, and any options or stories, etc., you would like to include. Also encose a photo(s), or digital photos on a CD.