• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Seat Belt Color

68gt390

This may have been talked about before but, can't remember. For those of us who have color code 2D, Red Standard Bucket Seats, what color are your seat belts? Anybody out there have "red" seat belts. My car has black belts in it.

Don

rvrtrash

My interior is red (2D) and has red deluxe seat belts. Hope this helps Don.

Steve

C160223

Don

I have 2D interior color code and my belts are also black. I have also asked this question in the past on other forums ,but never got a real answer. I am not sure if mine are original or have been changed in the past. Of all the 68 with dark red interior cars I seen in pics or in person, 50% of them have black belts. Only possible answer I can think of is after the strike, if they ran out of red seatbelts, they were replaced with black belts?

Redwingrobb

Don, red 2D interior for me also. My belts are black. The belts look old, so I would think they haven't been replaced. Build date was 20 March. Robb

390cs68rcode

maybe standard interior gets black belts and deluxe (the seatbelt option only) get red?

of you guys with red belts are they an option and are you sure they are original?

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

rvrtrash said:
My interior is red (2D) and has red deluxe seat belts. Hope this helps Don.

Steve

Steve;
Do you have the proper red plastic retractor in the front on both sides and is your shoulder strap red? I have been looking everywhere and cannot find a front seat retractor in red. Also, every standrad 2D interior car I have seen has black belts. This seems very strange.

Jason; My belts are original. I took them out last year and replaced them with red belts. But, as I stated above I have been unable to find a red retractor.

Don :undecided

rvrtrash

Both retractors are red and the belt in them is dated "468 W8O". The shoulder belts are red and have the red covers. I'm sure mine are original because the car had been parked since 1979 and has 52K miles on it. When I restored my car, I danced between replacing components and leaving original ones in. Even though the chrome on the buckles is flaking a little, I left the original belts in because they looked pretty good and I liked the idea of them being original. The plot thickens.
Steve
P.S. When I go to the swap meet in Portland, Or. next month, I'll look for red retractors for you.:wink:

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Steve;
Thanks for the offer to find me a red retractor but, won't be needed. I'm switching back to my original belts (black). Kinda sets the inside off a little. Besides, sometimes by the time I get out of the car I'm seeing red. :rofl:

Would be kinda nice though to figure out what went on with the 2D interiors in these cars.

Don

clubpro

If the car had standard interior and standard belts the belts were black. If the car had standard interior with deluxe belts the belts were the interior color.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

clubpro said:
If the car had standard interior and standard belts the belts were black. If the car had standard interior with deluxe belts the belts were the interior color.

What denotes the difference between standard and deluxe belts? Reason I ask is my GT Coupe has deluxe belts and the belts in my CS are the same but, they are black rather than interior color. In my GT they are Nugget Gold. Is it just the fact they are interior color that makes them deluxe belts? The odd thing about my GT Coupe is with the Deluxe belts you were suppose to also have a seat belt reminder light mounted in the dash and the shoulder belt - My GT does not have either of those items although the Deluxe betls are shown on my Marti Report. The shoulder belt may not have been included due to the fact my GT has a 11/27/67 build date. Maybe some more strange things done with these cars.

Don

Last edited:

mmarsalone

68gt390 said:
What denotes the difference between standard and deluxe belts? Reason I ask is my GT Coupe has deluxe belts and the belts in my CS are the same but, they are black rather than interior color. In my GT they are Nugget Gold. Is it just the fact they are interior color that makes them deluxe belts? The odd thing about my GT Coupe is with the Deluxe belts you were suppose to also have a seat belt reminder light mounted in the dash and the shoulder belt - My GT does not have either of those items although the Deluxe betls are shown on my Marti Report. The shoulder belt may not have been included due to the fact my GT has a 11/27/67 build date. Maybe some more strange things done with these cars.

Don
Don,

Have you taken out your instrument panel to confirm that you do not have the reminder light? In 68' the light is near the brake warning light and right turn signal indicator. In 66' and 67' there were to different types of lights that mounted below the dash. Also, the only difference in 68' between deluxe belts and standard was that the deluxe had a chrome trim ring. I guess that would only be for the black, since it sounds like if you could only get color keyed with the deluxe option so any color keyed would have the chrome trim ring.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Mike;
I removed and replaced everything on my dash just after I got the car in 02. Never saw any seat belt warning light anywhere. My car also does not have the shoulder strap. The only thing I can think that may have happened is due to my car being on the line right during the strike in a hurry to get the car off the line after the strike they forgot it and the shoulder strap. I know the rear end gear as marked on my Marti Report is also different. My Marti Report states the car had a 3:25 standard axle ratio but, when I pulled the rear gear to replace with a posi unit it had 3:50 gears in it.

Don

clubpro

Here is a picture of a deluxe buckle. The attachment is from ssnake-oyl.com

Attachments

• 1969-70Forddeluxelg.jpg
    1969-70Forddeluxelg.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

clubpro said:
Here is a picture of a deluxe buckle. The attachment is from ssnake-oyl.com

That's the answer. My GT has the chrome trim around the buckle and the CS belts do not. The red belts I put in the CS also have the chrome trim. Delima on the belts solved. Now if I could just figure why no seat belt warning light and shoulder strap on the GT. That will have to wait for another day.

Thanks Clubpro

Don

mmarsalone

Don,

The reason I asked was because when I bought my car, the light on the panel was not working. I took the dash loose and saw the light socket had fallen out of the instrument panel. It worked just fine behind the panel, I just didn't know it was back there. Sometimes these show up on Ebay. I'll be doing a quartz upgrade to my clock soon, I can take pictures and tell you where it hooks up.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Mike;
Sounds like a plan to me. I've got to upgrade my clock in the GT. The original clock is there but, as usual it no longer works. When I had my dash all apart I noticed the wiring for it but, no light unit. Guess this is another item I can plan on replacing in the near future. I saw a brake warning light unit on ebay earlier and it is listed as being for a 68 but, it is the under dash unit. Don't think it is correct for 68.

Don

C160223

Don
attached are pics of the seatbelt warning light and Parking brake warning light. The seatbelt light relay is mounted to same brakcet on firewall that fuse panel and foglight relay are mounted to. The yellow wire is connected to "ignition" power. and the light socket is connected behind dash panel next to the right turn signal arrow. All 68 dash panel have this provison for the bulb. When the ign is turned on, the "belts" lights up for about 10 seconds. The parking brake light is an optional accessory for cars not equipped with the conveinence control package. The red lens and bulb socket are mounted on left lower corner of dash as per dimensions on instruction sheet. (requires drilling a hole in your dash). The switch is mounted on the end of the brake lever and one wire from the bulb is connect to the switch and the other wire is connected to power (ign - key on). When the level is pulled, it closes the switch, completing the circuit and the bulb lights up. Unique bulbs are used and the light flashes on and off instead of being constantly on...

Attachments

• 68 mustang seatbelt warning light 1.jpg
    68 mustang seatbelt warning light 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 22
  • C8ZZ-15A852-A 68 parking brake warning light 2.jpg
    C8ZZ-15A852-A 68 parking brake warning light 2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 24